Needing encouragement - "comfort eating"

swissmiss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all, I've had a fasting blood of 6.4 and an offer from my GP to have it tested again next year . I've insisted on something more and been offered a dietician's appointment (3 months later ). I know that testing is the way forward as I'm not motivated to lose weight but I am motivated to avoid negative health consequences. Testing and logging food worked in my last pregnancy 9 years ago but weight's crept up and blood sugar control gone down.

My issue is that I nibble on food when I'm feeling stressed. I feel I need it like a crutch, to support me as right now I'm doing the paperwork for a financial settlement following relationship ending. I'm good at focusing on one thing at a time and I let my eating get disordered as some sort of way to blow off steam--sometimes I eat healthy food, sometimes I don't eat, and since this latest diagnosis I've managed not to go deliberately to buy 'bad' food to eat (still stuff in house as kids).

For the next few weeks, How can I keep on the straight & narrow without a monitor/food log? Thanks to anyone still reading....

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why not chop up carrots as batons and pieces of celery and nibble on that. You do not say what you are nibbling on in your post.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I've had a fasting blood of 6.4 and an offer from my GP to have it tested again next year . I've insisted on something more and been offered a dietician's appointment (3 months later ). I know that testing is the way forward as I'm not motivated to lose weight but I am motivated to avoid negative health consequences. Testing and logging food worked in my last pregnancy 9 years ago but weight's crept up and blood sugar control gone down.

My issue is that I nibble on food when I'm feeling stressed. I feel I need it like a crutch, to support me as right now I'm doing the paperwork for a financial settlement following relationship ending. I'm good at focusing on one thing at a time and I let my eating get disordered as some sort of way to blow off steam--sometimes I eat healthy food, sometimes I don't eat, and since this latest diagnosis I've managed not to go deliberately to buy 'bad' food to eat (still stuff in house as kids).

For the next few weeks, How can I keep on the straight & narrow without a monitor/food log? Thanks to anyone still reading....

well buy a lot of nuts to eat in the evenings brazil-nut and macadamia are good... you could also bake a lot of low carb cakes so you have some treats to yourself in the evenings ....you can find recipies other place in this forum....
I sometimes take a piece of peperoni as a treat as it taste of much and hardly havent got any carbs...

but when you eat more nuts you have to know that they are indeed very dense in calories and one can gain very easily if eating unlimited amounts of nuts..

there are also at least here in Denmark some unsweetened marcipan type, of which one can eat without much carb counting..

then of cause you can if you count in the carbs you can eat some berries...blueberries, rasberries, and strawberries... and all the vegetables cherry tomatoes almost unlimited

Reactions: callyandy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @swissmiss ,

I have a slightly different angle as it unclear what circumstances your doing all this "admin stuff"?
But I'm making the assumption you're at home..? (If so? My assumption by no way is intended to undermine your position.) :cool:
Try structuring your day with a start time after breakfast take a "lunch break" at a set time. Then finish the work then have tea?
Work out what a out carb count in the diet work for you, Blood sugar wise..

Reactions: swissmiss

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If testing and keeping a food log worked before why not try them again? I use myfitnesspal to keep a food diary and find it a nice easy way.

Reactions: callyandy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found I was carb craving rather than eating emotionally. Now im overeating on nuts (prior to virus). Been fed hot foods so sugar has increased with sugar coated ibuprofen and orange flavoured vit c.
Normally I keep to medium carbs but will low carb in January.
Cut out the high bg offenders til you get a meter? Rice, bread, potato, pasta and fruit other than berries. Mulberry is excellent for bgs.
I can have reheated potato. You'll have to experiment with meter.
Lidl protein rolls instead of bread or crackers/breaad sticks.
Only Oppo ice cream in moderation. As much double cream as you like, milk has sugar in.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure what time you normally do this paperwork, or the location, etc. But from what you describe, I think I would try a few different tactics and see which worked.
- if you are wanting to chew, then try chewing gum
- if you are wanting to accompany a drink with a biscuit or something, then try low carb baking, or switch to a drink that doesn't have biscuits associated with it.
- if you want 'a treat' because of the emotional hassle, then go for something decadent but low carb. Choc (70%) squares, or nuts or olives...

As for keeping the rest of your eating ordered, for the next few weeks, I would strongly recommend planning your meals. It isn't nearly as much hassle as keeping a food log. Just write a quick list, stick in on the fridge door, and every time you visit the fridge you will see 'Breakfast, yog and berries, Lunch, chicken salad, Dinner, baked salmon and stir fry', and you will know that i) the food is in the fridge waiting to be eaten, and ii) the food will go off and be wasted if you don't eat it... I find both of those things make it much easier to stick to the plan.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: swissmiss
A

asparagusp

there are also at least here in Denmark some unsweetened marcipan type, of which one can eat without much carb counting..
Unsweetened marzipan - sounds perfect. Does anyone know where in London I can buy it?

You can even get 90 and 100 percent chocolate.

I like raw mushrooms, full of goodness and carbohydrate free.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I like the sound of unsweetened marzipan too, as I adore marzipan. I wonder if it's something Amazon might stock. @asparagusp - if I find anywhere selling it, I'll let you know.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Wow, that Google trawl didn't take long. Take a look at this link - it's a recipe for sugar-free marzipan - http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/sugar-free-marzipan/

It's an American recipe, so it lists sweeteners like Swerve, but here in the UK you could use Truvia instead.

If you wanted it completely unsweetened, just leave out the sweetener.

A

asparagusp

Yes I have just Googled and you have to make it! I noted that white almond butter tastes the same as unsweetened marzipan but of course different consistency! Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the kind I love is rather expensive but all nuts are in Denmark we have for some silly reason an extra tax on nuts..

Would that be because they are subject to the "saturated fat tax" in your part of the world..? ;)

C

catherinecherub

This thread is getting off track.
I am sure the OP would like some more suggestions for overcoming her "comfort eating" rather than a discussion about marzipan.

Reactions: Freema
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Why will you not be using a monitor or a food log? They seem the perfect tools to keep you focussed. You don't need to be diabetic to use a blood glucose meter. Prevention is better than cure (especially when there is no cure!)

You could try to identify your snacking triggers and work on that. Easier said than done, of course, but even with "healthy snacks" you will still be using food as a crutch. All the best :)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Meal planning and food log would be my most useful tools-something about having to write it down is a great motivator for me to not nibble all day long. Be sure you have some healthy snack options available that you like-like cheese or cherry tomatoes or whatever you like that is low carb and have a planned snack break-do not snack as you're doing another activity as this could lead to mindless carb loading but plan to reward yourself with something-maybe dark chocolate?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fortunate enough never to have been much of a snacker, except where food is unavoidably delayed and I think I might expire if I don't eat something. OK. I'm more a drama queen than a snacker. ;)

One comment I will make about snacking is that it can be pretty mindless, and have found myself, when I have snacked whilst working/watching TV. or whatever, eating far more than I had intended, or realising that my snack has gone without really noticing or enjoying it.

Perhaps it could be helpful to try not to eat whilst doing other things. If you plan to snack, then stop and eat it, whilst thinking about it; not just hoovering (and I use that term, referring to myself, not you) up the nuts or whatever you are having as your snack.

At home, we only ever eat sitting at the table, with the only exception being a Saturday lunchtime, if there is particularly good sport on. Then, my OH may choose to have his lunch (which would usually be a sandwich or toastie (he's non-diabetic), from a plate, on his lap.

For me, the eating at the table, with no TV/distractions both helps me enjoy my food more. My OH calls me a lean, mean eating machine. He's not wrong. ;)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unsweetened marzipan - sounds perfect. Does anyone know where in London I can buy it?

You can even get 90 and 100 percent chocolate.

I like raw mushrooms, full of goodness and carbohydrate free.

Mmm, raw mushrooms, slightly dry, yummy

Reactions: Freema

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I had some sliced raw mushrooms yesterday-or maybe it was the day before yesterday-anyway they were particularly fresh and the highlight of my salad.