Needing help with a diet approach

dani1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys,

Little bit of background. I have type 2, PCOS and NAFLD. I have recently started a low carb dietary change and i have dropped a few kilos.

I am just wanting to see what other people have found helpful and their thoughts on using keto / paleo as a guide in changing their approach to food and controlling blood sugar levels. There is so much information out there and its all very overwhelming! I am on a low carb approach now but I guess what i would like to know is where should my fat and protein intake sit within that? I see lots of people have great results with HFLC approaches (which represents a keto approach), however I worry that the high fat intake will affect my NAFLD?

I will be discussing with my dietician and GP again before changing anything but just curious to see what anyone else thinks or what their experience has been with the above?

Thank you!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
however I worry that the high fat intake will affect my NAFLD

It will have an an effect.. it will likely reverse it.

NAFLD is an accumulation of fat around the liver from carbohydrate, especially fructose, ingestion.
Keto will help with reversing this as well as T2.

Reactions: dani1989

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

Little bit of background. I have type 2, PCOS and NAFLD. I have recently started a low carb dietary change and i have dropped a few kilos.

I am just wanting to see what other people have found helpful and their thoughts on using keto / paleo as a guide in changing their approach to food and controlling blood sugar levels. There is so much information out there and its all very overwhelming! I am on a low carb approach now but I guess what i would like to know is where should my fat and protein intake sit within that? I see lots of people have great results with HFLC approaches (which represents a keto approach), however I worry that the high fat intake will affect my NAFLD?

I will be discussing with my dietician and GP again before changing anything but just curious to see what anyone else thinks or what their experience has been with the above?

Thank you!!!
My NAFLD was so bad they thought the stacking of fat was one giant tumor. When it turned out not to be end stage cancer, they said they'd see me again when it turned to cirrhosis. At which point they'd just try and give me painkillers, as there was nothing they or I could do about NAFLD.

I went LCHF for my T2, which was diagnosed the same week, and my liver function has returned to normal. Think it took about 6 months for it to melt off, but melt off it did. No sign of it in blood work, only detectable if they'd do an ultrasound, most likely, that I ever had it to begin with. So yes, I can whole heartedly endorse the LCHF way of eating. Whether you take it as far as keto is up to you (your meter'll tell you where you stand), but yeah.... Go for it. It'll change your life. Certainly gave me back mine. ;) ( https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might be of assistance)
Good luck,
Jo

dani1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing thank you all so much. I will definitely have a read of that book. I think I will just use Keto as a guide to start and see where it takes me. I have wanted to do it for so long but always been a little scared to try it!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I went very low carb (keto) basically straight away. I personally find it easier having nothing rather than moderation- particularly carbs.

As with all changes- test regularly and your body will tell you how it is reacting in relation to your blood sugar levels.

I found keto easier in the sense that I pretty much stick to very low or no carb food- no need to weigh and just eat until I'm satisfied.

Good luck and let us know how you are going- many people here have done it for a long time so have advice if needed.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Started low carb about three months ago, lost weight and BG is in a normal range. I’ve also been exercising a lot, so that might be part of it.

I don’t count carbs as I don’t want this to be a permanent part of my new lifestyle. I probably eat more protein than the keto diet recommends as I’m trying to build muscle, hoping new muscle cells aren’t resistant.

my diet is mainly fish and green leafy vegetables. With the occasional spoon full of peanut butter or a handful of macadamia nuts.

Im still a newbie, but so far it seems sustainable for me. Though I’m not a picky eater.

hope you find a lifestyle that works for you : )

dani1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone
Thought i would give a little update. I have kept up the low carb approach and have lost 5kg. I am doing higher protein followed by moderate fats then low carb. Seems to be working so far! Thank you all for your help i really appreciate it!

dani1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My glucose levels are also almost normal and thats with no medications as well. My fasting is about 5.3 and 2 hours post meal I sit around 6 - 7.2.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My glucose levels are also almost normal and thats with no medications as well. My fasting is about 5.3 and 2 hours post meal I sit around 6 - 7.2.
Excellent work, congratulations!