Needles in Spain

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm on the ferry to Santander and just counted my needles. Not enough for 2 weeks away and have a very strong feeling I didn't pack spares. I can't check as the luggage is in the car.
So the question is, can I use the needles more than once?
I've got enough for a new one for each Levemir morning and evening but not for Novoslug
Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people reuse their needles, some simply leave the needle on the pen until the pen is empty. Not recommended but a lot better than no insulin so no reason not to enjoy your trip :)
Additionally, why not walk into a farmacia and ask if you can simply buy a box of pen needles?

Have a wonderful time!

Reactions: mike@work

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @SueJB !
To make a short answer - no problem. Just go on and reuse. I reuse all my needles several times, and how many that is, is almost worth censoring :)

D

Deleted Account

The advice is definitely "No" and there are some lovely pictures of blunt needles around.
I would reuse but only two or three times when I was out.
You may have nice soft skin and experience no problems or your skin may be slightly tougher and experience issues.
If I was in your situation, I would start to ration my needles (use them twice rather than once), keep a close eye on any unusual bruising or difficulty during injection, test more than normal, check your bags when you get to your destination and, if as you suspect, you are short of needles, visit the farmacia taking a sample needle with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@h
The advice is definitely "No" and there are some lovely pictures of blunt needles around.
You may have nice soft skin and experience no problems or your skin may be slightly tougher and experience issues.
If I was in your situation, I would start to ratio my needles (use the, twice rather than one), keep a close eye on any unusual bruising or difficulty during injection, test more than normal, check your bags when you get to your destination and, if you suspect, you are short of needles, visit the farmacia taking a sample needle with you.
@helensaramay thanks. Do you mean reuse each needle 2 or 3 times?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I would. Sometimes I do - if I'm at work and it's lunchtime and I haven't spare needles in my bag (because I'm forgetful), I just use the needle that's still on the pen. It's OK. Not recommended but it's not the end of the world.

Calculate how many needles you have, work out how many injections (roughly) you're thinking you might need and do your sums. Alternatively, visit an English speaking pharmacy and explain - they'll probably sell you a boxful. Take your pen and ask if you can check that the needles fit, maybe.

D

Deleted Account

@h

@helensaramay thanks. Do you mean reuse each needle 2 or 3 times?
That is correct.
Personally, although it didn't hurt, it seemed a little harder to pierce my skin on the third use of a needle.
Bruising wise, I could bruise on the first use so it was difficult to tell if reusing a needle made it any worse.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I would. Sometimes I do - if I'm at work and it's lunchtime and I haven't spare needles in my bag (because I'm forgetful), I just use the needle that's still on the pen. It's OK. Not recommended but it's not the end of the world.

Calculate how many needles you have, work out how many injections (roughly) you're thinking you might need and do your sums. Alternatively, visit an English speaking pharmacy and explain - they'll probably sell you a boxful. Take your pen and ask if you can check that the needles fit, maybe.
@WuTwo luckily I speak Spanish so im going to check the bag as soon as we land and if needs be see what a pharmacy can do for me

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@
That is correct.
Personally, although it didn't hurt, it seemed a little harder to pierce my skin on the third use of a needle.
Bruising wise, I could bruise on the first use so it was difficult to tell if reusing a needle made it any worse.
@helensaramay thanks
Fingers crossed my memory is wonky

Reactions: Kim Possible

Craig1978

I can't add anything to what has already been said, other than I have been on the Ferry to Northern Spain a few times, and enjoy looking out for the whales and dolphins across the Bay of Biscay!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@
I can't add anything to what has already been said, other than I have been on the Ferry to Northern Spain a few times, and enjoy looking out for the whales and dolphins across the Bay of Biscay!
@Craig1978 Doing the same but think it's the wrong time of year

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree in general, provided you can get new needles. As long as you can't get new needles please keep reusing and don't go without insulin because you've used all your needles 3 times...
I'm sure that's not what you meant but I wanted to mention it just in case. These threads pop up on a google search as well.

The pictures of used needles that go around most are fake. It's not nearly as bad as those pictures, luckily!

MrsBRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to use 1 needle till the pen was empty & was always ok. Then I saw that pic too of a reused needle. Probably as others have said 3/5 times usage you’ll be fine. Diabetic for 40 years now.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I used to use 1 needle till the pen was empty & was always ok. Then I saw that pic too of a reused needle. Probably as others have said 3/5 times usage you’ll be fine. Diabetic for 40 years now.
Thanks @MrsBRW that's very reassuring. Not going to look at pictures because I'm on holiday

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @SueJB I used to reuse needles all the time. The pics which are around are not truthful.....so reuse away :)

AND.......Enjoy your holibobs :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
The grand tour is over. Spain, Portugal, France. I managed to get some 6mm needles in Spain. I had to order them but they came in the following day. Can you believe............... 20 euros for 100 needles? A lovely pharmacist