Needles

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just a question can I reuse my insulin needles or are they only meant to be used once
Thanks x

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Assuming you mean your BD or similar needles used for Novorapid pens etc, you can reuse them. I change mine once a day, less if I'm feeling extremely lazy. I've always been told to change every day, not sure if the same advice is given wherever you are.

D

Deleted Account

The usual recommendation is to NOT reuse needles.
They become blunt which will cause pain, bruising and can affect the insulin flow through them.

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thank you just seems a waste to use 3 for novarapid and 1 for Lantus x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you unwrap a needle, take off the little plastic cover and screw on to your insulin pen, it is sharp and sterile. To use it for an injection and then just cover with the pen lid seems wrong. Quite apart from the blunting issues, it doesn’t seem worth the risk of reusing. I get 200 at a time on prescription. I was told not to and I don’t.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I was told the same for syringes, use once only. A nurse in hospital tried to enforce this rule on me. At the time, I really put the 'multiple' in mdi, over 20 shots a day, and the nurse still tried to insist on one syringe per injection.

The doc walking past over-ruled the nurse. He said they have to give the one injection one needle advice because that's the nhs advice, and otherwise they are medically negligent. Practically, be sensible about reuse and its not a problem.

( Or at least, not as big a problem as supplying me with 20+ syringes every day. )

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Well I'm living proof that it's perfectly fine to reuse, though I don't doubt that it's safer not to. I just feel that it's a huge waste of resources when it technically isn't necessary.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
2328527271_5e2fd3f25e2432.jpg

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I used to use one per pen until I was shown this image. Once a day change now :D

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I was guided to change my needle every time. As a nurse I would support this. Hope this helps

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I was first diagnosed as a student in 1998, I had to buy the needles for my pens. I was skint, and at twenty quid for a box of 100, I made them last as long as possible. They became available on prescription not long after, but the bad habit became pretty ingrained. I changed them every new pen after that, but it’s pretty much daily now. My once a day Tresiba gets a new point every time, as I feel the dose on that is the most crucial to get right. My Novorapid gets a new one every morning, but I use that 6-8 times a day (lots of half unit injections!) so I often change it early afternoon as well. It’s just a case of remembering to do it...

Reactions: Dodo and porl69

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. This question comes up frequently. I use one needle per day so it gets used 4 to 5 times. The risk of infection is about NIL if you remove the needle after injecting and keep the plastic cover over it. The pictures of needle damage thru re-use are probably provided by the manufacturer who has an interest in selling more needles. They no doubt do start to blunt but I have no problems and it saves the NHS a lot of money which helps others with their health issues.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I used to use excessively multiple times. Trying to change every time now just because hospital insisted on once only use recently.. stating multiple using may be part of insulin not going in properly and causing issues for me regarding getting up and DP etc..

To be honest I change mow to just prove a point that my mornings levels are nothing to do with changing needles.....

I would love to have a microscope and really look at my needles.

By way I have BD 4mm needles and chemist un able to supply them today stating they are having manufacturer production problems.....