nerve damage

libby_april

any advice would be appreciated after seeing surgeon she tells me i have nerve damage in hand and elbow cause by diabetes has any one lese heard of this also just recently i have had problems swallowing food and choking before the doctor blames diabetes again can it n fact be caused by diabetes

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Libby and welcome to the forum.

The nerve damage can be attributed to diabetic neuropathy not heard about the swallowing problem though. Search the forum for neuropathy or search the internet there is a lot of information on it.

angievara57

The majority of cases of neuropathy, often referred to as peripheral neuropathy, affects the motor and sensory nerves. Patients generally experience initial symptoms on their feet, hands, arms and legs. This is called Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy.

Signs and symptoms of sensorimotor polyneuropathy may include:
Pins and needles in affected parts of the body. Some may describe this as a tingling and prickling sensation
A sensation of burning - this starts off on the feet and legs, and then, as the condition progresses, to the hands and arms
Sharper, stabbing pains which are more intense at night. They usually start off in the feet and legs, and gradually progress to the hands and arms. Patients may describe them as electric-like pain.
Muscle weakness
Coordination problems
Muscles can become paralyzed
Increased susceptibility to foot ulcers and skin infections, plus other problems that affect the feet
Peripheral neuropathy can eventually develop to dysesthesia - the patients' sense of touch is affected, and the following symptoms may present:
Tingling sensation in the skin
Burning sensation in the skin
The skin becomes extrememly sensitive; the patient may experience intense pain when the skin touches, for example, sheets or towels
Signs and symptoms of automatic neuropathy - automatic neuropathy occurs when the automatic nerves are affected. Patients may experience the following:
Bowel incontinence
Bladder incontinence
Coordination problems
Diarrhea
Dysphagia - swallowing difficulties
Hypotension - low blood pressure. The patient may feel dizzy when getting up from sitting or lying down
Impotence - erectile dysfunction
Nausea
Problems emptying the bladder completely
Problems with balance
Tachycardia - accelerated heartbeat
Vomiting
Signs and symptoms of mononeuropathy - this is when just one nerve or one group of nerves are affected. Patients may experience:
Problems with vision, such as focusing. There may also be double vision
Pain in the eye
Bell's palsy - one side of the face is paralyzed or responds weakly
Pain in the chest
Pain in the shin
Foot pain
Carpal tunnel syndrome - pain and numbness from the wrist to the lower palm. Experts say that approximately 5% of adult females and 3% of adult males are affected by carpal tunnel syndrome. Rates are higher in diabetes patients.
When to see a doctor

You should see your doctor if you experience abnormal numbness, tingling, pain or weakness in your hands or feet. The earlier you are diagnosed, the better are your chances of preventing further damage and controlling the symptoms. Doctors may also help with symptoms that affect sleep, or trigger depression.