Nervous about eating fat

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I have been doing the lchf diet for about 4 weeks now and my bs has come down from between 7 and 9 (sometimes a lot higher ) to anything between 4.6 and 6 which I'm really pleased about. Plus I have reduced my insulin from 60 units twice a day to 25 twice a day. I'm struggling with eating high fat though. I have spent the last 35 years on and off low calorie, low fat diets and it's obviously ingrained now
I still have my porridge for breakfast although I'm going to try it with water and extra thick double cream tomorrow instead of half milk, half water. I don't eat again until 6ish as the porridge fills me up. I've also had a headache on and off since I started the diet. I've lost about a stone in weight and am now the same weight as I was after my first pregnancy 31 years ago! I still need to lose another 3 stone at least.

Reactions: Freema

Biggles2

I'm struggling with eating high fat though. I have spent the last 35 years on and off low calorie, low fat diets and it's obviously ingrained now
Hi @deb1960. I think it is ingrained in most of us. We have been fed this line for well nigh 40 years.
Take a look at this great article on Dr. Jason Fung's blog, where he interviews a doctor who had the same initial reaction to the notion of eating fat on a LCHF diet. Here is a short snippet:
“At that time, I was a resident in internal medicine. My mentors taught me that saturated fat was bad; obesity is as simple as calories in and calories out. It was as obvious to me as the sky was blue and the sun shines.”​
https://idmprogram.com/intensive-dietary-management/

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think that it's been seen as "bad" and calorific and will cause high cholesterol for so many years. I have read so much about lchf in the last few weeks that I'm not worried about it harming me it's just difficult to change a habit of a lifetime.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I read Michael Mosley's book the blood sugar diet it was as though a light bulb had gone on in my head. It made so much sense and I started the diet the very next day.

Hotpepper20000

When I read Michael Mosley's book the blood sugar diet it was as though a light bulb had gone on in my head. It made so much sense and I started the diet the very next day.
There’s no need to go full force with fat. Eat full version of everything, olives and avocado are good source of fat. That should be enough as you start.
If you need more fat add a dob of butter to vegetables and enjoy!!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes eat nuts when I try to go higher in fats especially macadamia nuts

Reactions: Pura Vida

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’m just wondering what are your sources of information on this LCHF diet you are on? Porridge doesn’t sound like the type of food usually associated with LCHF. I would think it’s the low carb aspect of LCHF you need to concentrate on rather than fat intake.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m just wondering what are your sources of information on this LCHF diet you are on? Porridge doesn’t sound like the type of food usually associated with LCHF. I would think it’s the low carb aspect of LCHF you need to concentrate on rather than fat intake.
The OP is on insulin - so no way could do a strict LCHF diet, it would be dangerous.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @deb1960 ,

Your profile suggests you're prescribed insulin.. Could we ask what insulin/s you take?

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I use humalin 3 twice a day. I've reduced from 60 units twice a day to 25 units twice a day. Unfortunately I've had to wait a month to see my dn who when I rang her for advice about reducing carbs told me that they don't approve of faddy diets and I should eat low gi carbs 4 times a day. I didn't want to wait to start the lchf diet so I took it on myself to work on it. I see her on Thursday but I'm not feeling optimistic about her reaction. I know that porridge is seen as a no no but I enjoy it and it keeps me full til dinner time. I test several times a day and 2 hours after eating porridge my blood sugar has never gone higher than 7.5 I risked eating half a jacket potato with my roast dinner tonight and only went up to 6 two hours later.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
faddy diet indeed - low carb for weight control has been around for well over a century and was used to try to help diabetics before more modern drugs were available - but insulin is a real sledge hammer of a treatment and has to be refined with a carby diet or it could be dangerous.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have stopped eating bread, rice and pasta. For the first time in a month I've had half a baked potato tonight. I have been topping cottage pie

Last edited:

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have stopped eating bread, rice and pasta for the first time in a month I've had half a baked potato tonight. I have been topping cottage pie
and fish pie with mashed celeriac and swede which I know has some carbs but I can live with that. I have also lost a stone in weight.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't know what happened with my reply but hopefully it does make some sense :rolleyes:

Reactions: Alison Campbell