Neuropathy and Skin

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a painful rare skin condition that affects my feet. It is called Pachyonychia Congenita. It takes careful management by removing the calloused skin with a blade about once a week.
There is no cure. I could see a podiatrist, but I know my feet so well and the tender bits, that I am able up to now to manage it myself. I know how much skin to remove before I go too low. I kind of know because if I go too low I feel pain. Having now been diagnosed with Neuropathy I no longer feel the pain. This is a bit worrying.
I just wondered if any one else has skin problems and neuropathy
Thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a painful rare skin condition that affects my feet. It is called Pachyonychia Congenita. It takes careful management by removing the calloused skin with a blade about once a week.
There is no cure. I could see a podiatrist, but I know my feet so well and the tender bits, that I am able up to now to manage it myself. I know how much skin to remove before I go too low. I kind of know because if I go too low I feel pain. Having now been diagnosed with Neuropathy I no longer feel the pain. This is a bit worrying.
I just wondered if any one else has skin problems and neuropathy
Thank you

Fo, I don't have foot or skin issues (aside from the oddpatch of exzema), but, if you have reduced sensation in your feet, then please don't be wielding blades or files anywhere close.

Your profle says you have pre-diabetes, so hopefully your sugars aren't going stratospheric, but injuries can go very wrong, very quickly for people with diabetes.

In some areas, NHS podatrists are discharging those with diabetes back to their GPs forr foot care, but for those at higher risk, the service is still there.

Please do ask for an urgent referral to keep things in check.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please, please, do not do any self treatment - infections in my grandmother's feet resulted in a catastrophic series of amputations and her eventual death - so I was told by my father, as I was quite young at the time and did not fully understand what happened. It was caused by the removal of hard skin, so if you are losing feeling, please leave the job to a professional.

Reactions: Fo

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Fo, I agree with both @DCUKMod and @Resurgam, leave such important work to the professionals.
I wish to add that I hope that your neuropathy was fully investigated to find a cause so that
it can be treated most appropriately.

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fo, I agree with both @DCUKMod and @Resurgam, leave such important work to the professionals.
I wish to add that I hope that your neuropathy was fully investigated to find a cause so that
it can be treated most appropriately.
Hello
I hear what you are all saying and appreciate your advise. After years of seeing a podiatrist with a scalpel in her hand, I d coded I could do my feet better as I know my tender spots.
It does concern me because as I am removing the skin I can’t feel the pain like I used to. No I was given no explanation or advice on cause and how to treat it except to keep warm. I am seeing doc next week so will raise it with her then.
X

Reactions: kitedoc

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I suffer with the same condition.
I have a foot health care lady that visits me at home every 6 weeks and costs me £26. She knows about my t2 and knows about the numbness in both feet. She inspects everywhere on my feet, even in between my toes. Cuts my nails and deals with the hard skin. I was referred to the nhs podiatrist but stopped going, 1 because they would only see me twice a year, just scanning over my feet. I had to get a taxi there and back which cost me more then the lady coming to me.
Please don't self treat your hard skin because your can end up taking more skin off causing cuts etc

Reactions: Fo and kitedoc

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffer with the same condition.
I have a foot health care lady that visits me at home every 6 weeks and costs me £26. She knows about my t2 and knows about the numbness in both feet. She inspects everywhere on my feet, even in between my toes. Cuts my nails and deals with the hard skin. I was referred to the nhs podiatrist but stopped going, 1 because they would only see me twice a year, just scanning over my feet. I had to get a taxi there and back which cost me more then the lady coming to me.
Please don't self treat your hard skin because your can end up taking more skin off causing cuts etc
Hi Ally
Thank you for your reply. I hope you don’t mind me asking do you have Pachyonichia Congenita? It’s just that it is so rare. I hear what your saying and I am taking all the advice and suggestions on board and considering everything. I am a little worried I have to say. I do seem to be grasping this low carb diet even though it’s only been a few days, I am at least understanding things better, thanks to the really helpful friendly people on this forum. It is helping me so much x

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi Ally
Thank you for your reply. I hope you don’t mind me asking do you have Pachyonichia Congenita? It’s just that it is so rare. I hear what your saying and I am taking all the advice and suggestions on board and considering everything. I am a little worried I have to say. I do seem to be grasping this low carb diet even though it’s only been a few days, I am at least understanding things better, thanks to the really helpful friendly people on this forum. It is helping me so much x
Yes I do have it

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do have it
Hello
There aren’t many of us!
I would encourage you to register with PC Project if you aren’t already.
Do you live in the UK? X

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again
I saw the podiatrist and she is going to keep me on the books. Since I have had time to think more I am going to ask for regular appointments, even if it is just to check my feet. So thank you for your encouragement. The Neuropothy and numbness in my feet is worrying me. More so as I have said because of this rare genetic skin condition. The numbness is now affecting my lips and my joints in my fingers are stiff and painful when waking. I am seeing doc next week. Do you think I should ask to be referred to a neurologist? I think I also have bad circulation; feet often looking red verging on purple in areas. I feel the outlook is bleak. I feel my limbs have become wek
I am doing well on the low carb diet and my bloods are steady and reasonable. I have been in touch with stopsmokingwales and meeting with someon next week. I have cut down to 7 a day, but I know this is going to be difficult. I think the damage is done. My recall only slight numbness about 18 months ago and didn’t think much of it. How wrong was I.
I massage CBD oil mixed with coconut oil into my feet every day or eucuyluptus oil.
Is there anything else I could be doing please?

Attachments

• text.txt
    40 bytes · Views: 83

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hello
There aren’t many of us!
I would encourage you to register with PC Project if you aren’t already.
Do you live in the UK? X
Yes in the uk