ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
A question for those of you with periferal neuropathy in their feet/legs.
I have severe neuropathy in my left foot and gradually going up my leg and medium neuopathy in my right foot.
I can't feel when I take steps when walking. I have had a few tumbles. Yesterday I was in my local post office and my legs gave way yet again. This time, I had to have two people help me up, which was embarrassing. On my left knee just below knee and at back above knee was and still is agony. I do think it's possible I could have pulled ligaments. Not bad enough to warrant a visit to hospital. Couldn"t get appt with gp but they said for me to self refer to physio. I did that this morning and waiting for head physio to see if they can help.
Anybody with neuropathy ever encounter falling over because of the numbness

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ally. I'm sorry to read your news. I hope you manage to get fixed with the physio as quickly as possible. My only experience is tearing one my ACL on my right knee, don't now how it happened, but boy is it sore and the drugs didn't do anything to help, even caused problems, so it was only the physio who able to help. Exercises, little and often.
I wish you well.

Reactions: ally1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I know this is a different problem caused by a different condition but neuropathy used to make my knees buckle while I was still able to walk with sticks.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am scared stiff. The falling over is occuring more often now.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Be sure to mention this fear at your appointment as they must be made aware that you may become more sedentary as a result. Take it steady, lass.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi Ally. I'm sorry to read your news. I hope you manage to get fixed with the physio as quickly as possible. My only experience is tearing one my ACL on my right knee, don't now how it happened, but boy is it sore and the drugs didn't do anything to help, even caused problems, so it was only the physio who able to help. Exercises, little and often.
I wish you well.
Am not really sure if they will help.
The thing I am most worried about is that I have frequent falls
I think this is due to not feeling anything when I take steps.
Up until yesterday, I had never hurt myself. I Don, t want to hurt myself any more

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Be sure to mention this fear at your appointment as they must be made aware that you may become more sedentary as a result. Take it steady, lass.
Thank you
Last time I saw the phsyio last September, they couldn,t help, just gave me a walking stick. The phsyio had referred me to have a balance test, but that was refused.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Hi hun my husband has it . He's had some near misses with falls . So we have brought walking sticks to help him. He can't feel his feet at all he says it's like walking on stumps . I do hope you can get help. X

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you
Last time I saw the phsyio last September, they couldn,t help, just gave me a walking stick. The phsyio had referred me to have a balance test, but that was refused.

How is your balance? If the test was called the Tilt Table Test then a lot of GPs refuse to refer for it these days as it is (so I've been told) a really scary test.

Do you use your stick? I was given two sticks at first and this really helped with balance and stability but the NHS sticks became too heavy so I bought a lightweight pair. I was offered a zimmer but flat out refused that.
There is a stick that has three feet on it for better stability you could enquire about. They will want you to stay on your feet as long as possible and I think sometimes they do not appreciate how fearful we become when we develope fall risks.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
How is your balance? If the test was called the Tilt Table Test then a lot of GPs refuse to refer for it these days as it is (so I've been told) a really scary test.

Do you use your stick? I was given two sticks at first and this really helped with balance and stability but the NHS sticks became too heavy so I bought a lightweight pair. I was offered a zimmer but flat out refused that.
There is a stick that has three feet on it for better stability you could enquire about. They will want you to stay on your feet as long as possible and I think sometimes they do not appreciate how fearful we become when we develope fall risks.
It was the physio that referee me.
My gp just for an"t listen to me.
Since I saw the physio, my balance has got so much worse

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi hun my husband has it . He's had some near misses with falls . So we have brought walking sticks to help him. He can't feel his feet at all he says it's like walking on stumps . I do hope you can get help. X
Thank you. I just feel I am getting no where

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Thank you. I just feel I am getting no where
I know exactly how you feel. My husband has struggled for two years to get answers to his medical problems . X

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You just have to keep plugging at it. See other doctors in the practice, other nurses, locums and hospital staff. Eventually someone will listen. I hope you feel a bit less anxious soon. Xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 - You're in the wars!

To be honest, I'd urge you to see your GP asap. I think it is important that he sees you when you have had one of these incidents and at the time you are living with the pain of injury of it. That might help him "get it", rather than when you go and describe to him how you fell a couple of weeks ago, and it really hurt.

Does your GP do telephone consultations? I use telephone consultations where I can, and my usual rule of thumb is for something that doesn't need an examination. Now, strictly speaking, your injury does need an examination, but you also do need this on the record at your surgery.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@ally1 - You're in the wars!

To be honest, I'd urge you to see your GP asap. I think it is important that he sees you when you have had one of these incidents and at the time you are living with the pain of injury of it. That might help him "get it", rather than when you go and describe to him how you fell a couple of weeks ago, and it really hurt.

Does your GP do telephone consultations? I use telephone consultations where I can, and my usual rule of thumb is for something that doesn't need an examination. Now, strictly speaking, your injury does need an examination, but you also do need this on the record at your surgery.
My gp is on holiday now until the 16th.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You just have to keep plugging at it. See other doctors in the practice, other nurses, locums and hospital staff. Eventually someone will listen. I hope you feel a bit less anxious soon. Xx
Thank you

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How are you feeling this morning, lass? Did you manage some sleep?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
How are you feeling this morning, lass? Did you manage some sleep?
I did manage 3 hours sleep but that's normal for me.
Am struggling this morning. When sitting still, little pain but as soon as I try to stand up then walk, my god its hard. I do make the effort to move about as I know staying still is the worst thing to do

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I did manage 3 hours sleep but that's normal for me.
Am struggling this morning. When sitting still, little pain but as soon as I try to stand up then walk, my god its hard. I do make the effort to move about as I know staying still is the worst thing to do

You are doing the right thing just don't push yourself too far. Find a comfortable balance between movement and inactivity as sitting still promotes seizing up. If there is swelling try a cold compress and remember to stay hydrated.
Until you see a doctor you must take things steady. Sending you a gentle hug.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You are doing the right thing just don't push yourself too far. Find a comfortable balance between movement and inactivity as sitting still promotes seizing up. If there is swelling try a cold compress and remember to stay hydrated.
Until you see a doctor you must take things steady. Sending you a gentle hug.
Thank you.
Am just glad I love in a bungalow as there's no way I could manage stairs