Never felt so ill. Is it diabetes related??

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in April and everything has been fine, well under current control. I have had a couple of infections that the doctor said were worse due to being diabetic.

There had been cough and cold going around the office and though I was doing well to avoid it. Then on Tuesday I felt chesty all day and had fluid on my lungs and was sick. So left work Ill.

Went to bed Tuesday night and have literally slept to now Friday morning. When I wasn't asleep I literally couldn't get out of bed. Had headache and eyes were hurting

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like flu to be honest, I know a lot of people who have been ill this year with similar experiences and are not diabetic. I doubt its related to diabetes but obviously doesn't help having a weakened immune system. If you want to be sure, book a doctors appointment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have the flu jab because of your new diabetic status perchance?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Steviechurch74 Unfortunately it doesn't help having diabetes as your body will be under stress fighting the infection and producing hormones and extra glucose which push your BG levels up. It's advisable that you do get your jab each year to avoid flu. Take it easy and hope it passes soon.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Steviechurch74 ,

Well? An infection of this sort can raise BGs, which won't help how you feel, overall with the infection.

Flu jabs are are recomended & you are entitled to one from the NHS.
They tend to be for predicted strains of flu for the comming year?
In my experience of yearly flu jabs without fail for as long as I can remember. It's not always a total "barrier." But It can help recovery quicker should the unfortunate happen..

Hope you recover quick.

Regards,

J>

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had my flu jab in October..... looks like it hasn't worked

It often doesn't.
There are only a few flu strains covered by the jab, so you may have caught one of the others.
Or, in your case, you got it anyway.

This is a link to the official stats on last year's jab's efficacy.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flu-vaccine-effectiveness-in-2017-to-2018-season
Sobering reading.

Public Health England (PHE) has today (Wednesday, 18 July 2018) published data on the effectiveness of the flu vaccine in the 2017 to 2018 season. The data show that overall, flu vaccine was 15% effective in all age groups. However, effectiveness varied considerably. By age-group, the vaccine was overall:
  • 26.9% effective in children aged 2 to 17 years (who received the nasal spray)
  • 12.2% in at risk groups aged 18 to 64 years
  • 10.1% in those aged 65 and over

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Diabetes will only normally aid illness if BS is consistently very high. It sounds like your illness is just 'normal' i.e. what a non-diabetic might get.