New and confused

Stuntnuts

Hi everyone. I've recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and taking metformin 1 x 500mg twice a day. Ive also been diagnosed with under active thyroid. Not physically seen a doctor yet and totally confused what I can and can't eat or drink. I'm trying to keep carb and sugar intake to a minimum. I have an appt with the diabetes nurse this week to see what my blood sugar is and to check blood pressure.
Any pointers on what foods are good and bad and what to avoid.
Cheers

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi everyone. I've recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and taking metformin 1 x 500mg twice a day. Ive also been diagnosed with under active thyroid. Not physically seen a doctor yet and totally confused what I can and can't eat or drink. I'm trying to keep carb and sugar intake to a minimum. I have an appt with the diabetes nurse this week to see what my blood sugar is and to check blood pressure.
Any pointers on what foods are good and bad and what to avoid.
Cheers
Hi @Stuntnuts and welcome! If you haven't seen this it could well be of help:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy-2330/.

It sounds like you are very much on the right track. Good luck

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The first thing to do is do NOT panic. I am one of the many thousands who have changed my routines and gone from really bad to normal.

Change of diet and exercise are key. Just make the right food choices and make substitutes where possible.

Myself I cut out:
Potatoes, cakes, fancies, bananas, high wheat products, rice, paste and fish and chips.

In came:
Rye, Raspberries, Strawberries, very dark (90%) chocolate, vegetables, tomatoes, bacon, sausages, eggs, cheese and low carb bread. I avoid all carbs after 6pm.
I also take exercise after every meal (only 10 mins) to get rid of any quick acting glucose.

I was on high power drugs (glycho something or other) with a HBAIC reading of 124 and now off drugs for 3 years and a reading of 44.

You will find thousands of people on here to advise so you are not alone.

Oh - and treats are OK from time to time.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy