New and trying to make sense of everything

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,

I can't even begin to tell you much it has taken for me to actually register and post something here.
Typical story - weight issues for many years, never been sporty, slightly hedonistic lifestyle and eventually caught up with me when I was diagnosed type 2 in 2006. I was then diet controlled and I managed to really lose weight so I went from a size 22 to size 12 in a year. Felt very fit and energetic .....and then I moved to a new city, was single again and well I wanted to forget that I had a "disability", I wanted to be cool and still be the live of the party.

Met my husband soon after got happy, he likes to eat, I love to cook and well you know the rest. Back to size 18 and about 96kgs. Everything well down hill health wise after my 40th and I got very depressed, tired and unmotivated. I also knew that my diabetes was getting bad but I choose to ignore it and night outs sometimes turned a little hairy! I would get really angry when I heard "diabetes" or the mention of sugar etc. I kept ignoring letters from my GP and found excuses to not go for checkups. I kept this all from my husband and was angry and scared he would nag me about my diet or put a damper on my lifestyle if he knew. But at the same time I was living in fear that I was going to pass out and die from the stress and a diabetic episode.

It ruined my life. I had a breakdown a few months ago and quit my job because I couldn't handle it. Took a holiday, time to settle my thoughts and finally told my husband. I had a big cry and blurted out that I had diabetes. He wasn't as shocked or appalled as I thought he was going to be. He actually said that he had an inkling as he had seen some letters and how I behaved around sugar or certain types of carbs,

Well I feel like a huge stone has been lifted off my chest and I feel I can talk about this with him and have even been able to share this with a few friends. No one has judged me and I am being naturally sensible with food and alcohol.

I think I am happier now and I am much more positive about my situation. I have another hill to climb as I have been recently diagnosed as heading to menopause and my ovaries have stopped working therefore, posing a challenge for our efforts to have a baby. But I have to deal with one thing at a time I guess. I am still feeling very shaky in terms of emotions but I am trying to deal with this as positive as possible.

I am glad to have found this community ;)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hello, Welcome :)

Well done for posting your feelings :) sounds to me like your ready to get to grips with the DB which is great, if you need any help or advice please go right ahead or just need to vent any frustrations, it takes a lot to post your deepest thoughts but there are many folks out there that will gain comfort from yours, just the knowing that they are not alone in this world, we are all in this together :)

best of luck and we look forward to hearing the amazing progress your about to make :)

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and Welcome to the diabetes forum. You certainly seem to have had your share of problems and are brought down by it all. If there is one ray of hop, having reached the bottom there is now only one way to go, and that to progress ever upwards.
There are many members here on this forum who are only too pleased to help, and together with your understanding partner you should now have the means to improve your life and hopefully control and become the master of your diabetes.
In that respect you are not alone. with my best regards - Lazybones

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. Sorry for posting and running but I've been a little low recently. But then live just nags at you and there are all the stuff I was supposed to do that piled up and I am trying to catch up!