New bread using lentils

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi all hope you are well. Has anybody tried doing this at all. They look really nice and no flour just red lentils and a couple of other things. The husk is high fibre too. Any thoughts at alll.
IMG_8793.jpg
IMG_8794.jpg

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does it state anywhere how many carbs per slice (or per loaf)? Im not worried about calories or fibre but would like to know the carb value before I eat it ;)

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake and Rachox

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Does it state anywhere how many carbs per slice (or per loaf)? Im not worried about calories or fibre but would like to know the carb value before I eat it ;)

Sadly no but I’m going to give them a go later and I’ll work it out using my fitness pal I thought high fiber carbs were ok (apolntbis is all new to me )

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly no but I’m going to give them a go later and I’ll work it out using my fitness pal I thought high fiber carbs were ok (apolntbis is all new to me )
Will you test you BG before and then again 2 hours after eating a slice to see if it affects you? Keep us updated as it’s always good to have a new recipe ;)

Reactions: aylalake and Pipp

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Will you test you BG before and then again 2 hours after eating a slice to see if it affects you? Keep us updated as it’s always good to have a new recipe ;)

Will do. My machine is due to be delivered today so I’ll be able to get this done by all means I’m only borderline so hoping these little changes will make a difference

Reactions: MissMuffett

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There’s 102 grams of carbs in the lentils alone, so it does really depend how many portions/slices/rolls the recipe makes.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It makes 4 rolls. Just worked it out on my fitness pal and it’s saying 34g each.

I thought high fiber such as lentils carbs were ok / better
Carbs are carbs are carbs are carbs.
If they are mixed in with fibre then it can take longer to be digested (low GI) but in the end it is still carbs.
Also, if you put the lentils through a food processor and puree them then this makes the carbs more readily available.
[A bit like the difference between eating a piece of fruit and drinking fruit juice.]

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately far too many carbs for me. One roll @34g would be roughly equivaklent to two days' worth. They seem to be fairly close to standard bread carb content.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Too many carbs for me too! The problem for me with high fibre things is that my BG rise is extended over several hours, and sometimes into the next day. The fibre just slows the reduction in BG down.

But everyone reacts in different ways. I too will be interested in reading about your experience.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately far too many carbs for me. One roll @34g would be roughly equivaklent to two days' worth. They seem to be fairly close to standard bread carb content.
Yes that made me curious so checked on sainsburys standard white bread rolls 6 pack and they’re 25.5g per roll!

Last edited:

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot speak for the bread but I have tried lentil pancakes and pizza bases - both didn't affect me too badly. On the plus side they have a similar(ish) texture albeit a little leathery. Against that (and no surprise here), you'll never guess what it tasted of? Yup, you're right - lentils!!