New, confused, abandoned Help!

Louisa1982

Hi my name is Louisa, I have always been very fit and active, I am a mountaineer and distance walker, last year alone I walked over 3550 boots on miles. I am over weight (i have been since I had an implant after i had my youngest daughter, I had it for 6 months before I had it removed, but gained 5 dress sizes in that six months!) I am also a lactose intolerant vegetarian, I am also have reactions to lots of different foods!
January the 16th this year I was diagnosed with a dvt in my left calf (unprovoked), it was diagnoised by by ultra sound, I was put on rivaroxaban, but at my request (as I have kidney issues and other bleeding issues) I changed to warfarin. Within 2 weeks I developed pains in my chest and couldn't breathe, I was rushed into hospital but declared fit and sent home to be rushed in by ambulance later that night, they did a random blood glucose and it was 15.1 mmol/l, I was dehydrated, i had been unable to keep anything down, fast forward. I went to the docs a few days later as the random blood sugar was playing on my mind, they did a fasting one there and then as I hadn't eaten in 18 hours, it was 7.6 mmol/l so they did the hbA1c test, and it was 66, they didnt diagnoise diabetes straight away, they decided after another week to do another hbA1c test. At 7pm 5 days after the test, a doctor rang me, told me the hbA1c was 64, because of my age I was type 2 diabetic, she then went on when I questioned her that it doesnt matter if you eat healthy, excercise alot, my age says its type 2. She told me that I had to go to the hospital for eye tests, not the opticians any longer, I need my toes checked, she was putting in a prescription for metaformin "I have to take these tablets" but I can eat normally! I asked for dietician help, as I have lost over a stone in 3 weeks, struggling with the warfarin etc. I was told I didnt need a dietician! I then explained I wasnt happy about taking the tablets as the risk of them reacting with warfarin, and the possible side effects, could I just try diet and more excercise, i was told no, I need these tablets! I asked about a blood monitor, I was told no, i will get a blood test once a year! She then made an appointment with a nurse (not diabetic nurse) to get me weighed and go over what excercise would be best.... that is tomorrow! I havent taken one metaformin since they were accidentally collected by my son, when he collected my warfarin. I bought a blood monitor, my bloods eatting normally (what I can manage) are as low as 4 mmol/l and as high as 13.6 mmol/l I am also keeping a food diary! Last week, after suffering with a headache for 3 weeks, I went back to my doctors, which felt like the millionth time, as my bo was extremely high 184/118, but a doctor said it was normal, and I had a tension headache. Well I got a patient summary, and that's how I found out my bp, but what is scary, one reading caused an error on the machine, so it was massively higher. I explained to this doctor, my not believing the type 2 diagnosis, my bp ect, she put me on bp tablets, my headache is now copable, my resting pulse is down from 123 bpm, to 72 bpm (just above my normal!).
I am so confused, and to be honest angry at my doctors, as they have ignored everything. What do I ask this nurse tomorrow, do I just take the lecture about excercise etc? What do I do? HELP!!!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Just because you are 38 doesn't mean you are T2. Others will chime in about the tests required, it sounds as though you neeed some decent information before you approach your surgery about them.

You certainly have a lot on your plate. Quite a few members don't take metaformin, usually because of bathroom issues,so dont sweat it.

What are you eating in a typical day?

Reactions: Louisa1982

Louisa1982

At the moment, not a lot! 2 slices of burgen bread, no spread, toasted. Lunch was an apple, and dinner tonight small portion of rice with a curry sauce made from tomatoes, peas and beans. I have managed to keep it all down. This is a first in weeks!

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Louisa, it certainly sounds that you’ve been put through the mill with everything, but can assure you that you will not be abandoned by members on this website, as everyone is friendly and very helpful.

I am not sure what to advise, as you have various medications, like Warfarin, and I am not medically trained, so wouldn’t want to give you the wrong advice. However, I am sure that someone with more knowledge will be along to help you in a bit. I just thought I’d reply so that you didn’t feel no one had seen your posting.

Sending you big hugs and reassurance that I am sure things will get sorted for you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The checks on your sight are entirely separate from the optician testing of your eyesight for glasses if you need them - and the advice that you can eat normally if a type two diabetic is equally off square.
As a vegetarian you don't have the easiest choices, but the usual way to overcome type two is to reduce the carbohydrate eaten, upping the fat to replace the lost fuel. If you still see high blood glucose then you could be another type of diabetic, despite what your GP believes.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your food choices are not good for a T2. We have a Vegitarian forum which might give yoou some ideas. You need to check the carb values of the food you eat. If they are too high, you ditchr. Your meter will keep you on the right path.

Louisa1982

The checks on your sight are entirely separate from the optician testing of your eyesight for glasses if you need them - and the advice that you can eat normally if a type two diabetic is equally off square.
As a vegetarian you don't have the easiest choices, but the usual way to overcome type two is to reduce the carbohydrate eaten, upping the fat to replace the lost fuel. If you still see high blood glucose then you could be another type of diabetic, despite what your GP believes.
The doctor said, it would all be done at the hospital, I am in shock, since I was informed 2 weeks ago. I just have no idea, of what I can or cant eat. I do understand being a vegetarian will make it more difficult, I use carbs when out for multi day hikes/mountains, so dont even know what to do there. I feel like i was given a label and told get on with it!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a section for vegetarians - as an omnivore I can eat about 200 calories a day from plant sources, and the rest of what I need is protein and fat from eggs, meat, fish, cheese etc - and that puts me in the normal ranges for Hba1c and blood glucose.

mouseee

My immediate thought when I saw your food was. . It's all carbs.

You need a blood glucose monitor. You can get one cheaply and then check before and after food to see the increase. You want an increase of mo more than 2pts.

You are unfortunate to have so many different health issues. I would definitely try and get some follow up. In terms of extreme weight loss, that's more unusual in t2s and I'd want to chase tests to find out if I was t2 or actually t1.

This is the best place to get advice, so read, lurk and ask questions.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Louisa1982 ,

Welcome to the club. And oh my, you do eat a lot of carbs.... I understand you want to keep your energy up when you are hiking and such, but you'll want to depend on fats and protein for that from here on in, I'm afraid; you can't process carbs the way people without our specific metabolic condition can. Your diet complicates things, but yeah... You're not the only one who's making it work, so I'm sure you'll figure it out. This forum's veg section should help, and maybe this will too: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian . This is my own quick start guide, but it includes foods with faces, so I do apologise: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

All in all though, you'll need a complete overhaul of your diet, and it's going to take some time for you to sort it out. Take that time, use it wisely. Learn, find alternatives, and keep testing.
Good luck,
Jo

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Vegetarian is OK, but you are eating a lot of carbs.
The foods you eat would spike my blood through the roof, even in modest portions.
Can you have cauliflower instead of rice?
If you can eat eggs, that would also be a good option. If you can eat fish, then that would also really open up some possibilities. Failing that, tofu might be good.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have found a great site to get help, information and support.

I agree that just on your age is not sufficient to be sure you are type 2 so that is worth exploring.

In any case having a meter is a good thing. It is the thing that will let you know how your levels are going.

You have had a rough time and I sympathise. The world you have found yourself in can be overwhelming even without the state pf the world at the moment.

There is a lot of information on this site and I think that being aware of the impact that carbs have on us will help.

Good luck- keep posting and testing g.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use carbs when out for multi day hikes/mountains, so dont even know what to do there. ...

If you can get a suitable LCHF vegetarian diet sorted, then the fats in that diet will replace the current carbs as your main source of fuel - and may very well serve you better on your long hikes. Carbs are short term quick fix energy that need topping up regularly, and when you get used to eating fatty foods (i.e. become "fat adapted") instead, they are a long term available and sustainable source of fuel for you. And if you're carrying a bit of surplus weight/fat, you should be able to use some of that up.

Good luck!