New Diagnostic Strategy

Lucozade

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?s ... de=4125181

There are proposals to use Hba1c as the diagnostic test for Diabetes in the near future in the UK, instead of fasting glucose etc. America are apparently using HbA1c as of Jan 2010 to diagnose and this has resulted in more diagnosed cases than simply using fasting glucose.

Interesting in hearing from those diagnosed, what was used to diagnose diabetes and did you get hba1c done as a diagnostic test or at time of diagnosis?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in hospital with a level of bs of 28 ( I think) they did a Hba! and it was 11.8 - I also had keytones

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As lovinglife I was diagnosed in hospital with bg level of 29mmol/L an A1c of 12.9% and a heartrate of 188bpm so I don't think there was any confusion LOL

Lucozade

Sid Bonkers said:
As lovinglife I was diagnosed in hospital with bg level of 29mmol/L an A1c of 12.9% and a heartrate of 188bpm so I don't think there was any confusion LOL

Good God, that can't have felt very good! :shock:

Lucozade

lovinglife said:
I was diagnosed in hospital with a level of bs of 28 ( I think) they did a Hba! and it was 11.8 - I also had keytones

Thanks for the info, you've done very well to get the numbers down!

Ipcress

Hi all,
I never had the glucose test.When I first went to the Doctors with blurred vision he tested me and I was off the scale. I Returned one week later after being on one 500mg Metformin per day and I was down to a fantastic 34.1. After a couple more weeks with my meds. being increased and with me doing a bit more research I asked about the glucose test. My doctor replied if you were to do it would be a waste of everybodies time. YOU ARE DIABETIC.
Finally had my first bloods taken 10 weeks after it all began

Stu

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lucozade said:
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=23&storycode=4125181

There are proposals to use Hba1c as the diagnostic test for Diabetes in the near future in the UK, instead of fasting glucose etc. America are apparently using HbA1c as of Jan 2010 to diagnose and this has resulted in more diagnosed cases than simply using fasting glucose.

Interesting in hearing from those diagnosed, what was used to diagnose diabetes and did you get hba1c done as a diagnostic test or at time of diagnosis?

I read this a few weeks back, it does sound logical when you consider a hba1c reading covers the previous 12 weeks.

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I had the fasting glucose tolerance test at the hospital and they did an Hba1c at the same time. :)

lilibet

I never got an A1c until week 6, but by then I was admitted same day I went to Docs to tell her I diabetes (her, dont be silly your too old....) +++ ketones, bg off the chart (only registering at 28 after the insulin kicked in and an actrapid drip with a side of sodium and potassium

Luckily never hit full blown DKA. Still questions do need to be asked -mabye Im LADA but managed until *** hit the fan? Mind you, did ask why they thought I was T1 and im sure someone laughed..............

Shoulda demanded C peptide, cept I never knew then what that was :roll:

I think hba1c is prob a reasonable indicator for undiagnosed whether they have it or not - least they cant blame the numbers (if they are good) on hypos!!

Lucozade

lilibet said:
I never got an A1c until week 6, but by then I was admitted same day I went to Docs to tell her I diabetes (her, dont be silly your too old....) +++ ketones, bg off the chart (only registering at 28 after the insulin kicked in and an actrapid drip with a side of sodium and potassium

Luckily never hit full blown DKA. Still questions do need to be asked -mabye Im LADA but managed until *** hit the fan? Mind you, did ask why they thought I was T1 and im sure someone laughed..............

Shoulda demanded C peptide, cept I never knew then what that was :roll:

I think hba1c is prob a reasonable indicator for undiagnosed whether they have it or not - least they cant blame the numbers (if they are good) on hypos!!

Hi, wow that's quite a story!!

Could you explain what you mean by explaining the numbers i.e. if they're good blaming it on hypos? Could hypos even out the number?

Also what is C peptide? I'm due for tests soon and this is listed as one of them I think, as is fasting lipids.

Any help appreciated in understanding all this complex jargon LOL! :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Lucozade said:
Sid Bonkers said:

Good God, that can't have felt very good! :shock:

Oddly enough I felt OK :lol: I only went to hospital as my GP couldnt get a blood pressure reading, quite common in cases of ventricular hypertension I believe, after he tried 3 times to take my BP he asked the nurse to test my bg levels but their machine had a dead battery in it :roll: so he packed me straight off to hospital and gave me a bite sized aero bar saying if you start to feel funny eat this
rolmao.gif
On reflection not the best advice he could have given me, bless him.

I arrived at A&E feeling fine, saw the triage nurse who took my blood pressure and immediately put me on a stretcher and wheeled me into the resuscitation ward, thats when I started to get scared. They gave me an injection to slow/stop my heart and luckily it returned to sinus (spelling) rhythm. After recuperating overnight with an insulin drip my DB journey had started :D

C

catherinecherub

I suffered a heart attack and was in hospital for two months.
At the follow up appointment with my cardiologist he casually asked how I was managing my diabetes. I suggested that he was probably looking at someone else's notes as I didn't have diabetes. He assured me that I did and it was diagnosed whilst I was in hospital!!! He took a blood glucose meter test and it was 17.00!!!! I was not even offered a dibaetic menu whilst in hospital so perhaps it was the best kept secret. :lol: :lol:
Nobody had informed my G.P. or me that this was the case. He phoned my G.P. and I was seen that afternoon to arrange for some blood tests including HBA1c, kidney function and cholesterol and advice as to how to manage my condition.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
When you read all these stories and others on the forum you realise that the NHS does desperately need a new diagnostic strategy as the ones they are using are a complete shambles. :shock:

It took me such a long time to get a test because of the fobbing off and delaying tactics used. It made me wonder if they try to delay diagnosis as long as possible to fend off the ensuing costs to their budgets. :roll:

Clearly a simple blood test may be cheaper and simpler to administer but I still wonder if they will bother until things go critical or they are faced with an insistent patient. :roll: