New DVLA Rules.

offtheback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, so apologies if this question has been asked before!

I have been a T1 for 43 years. I was diagnosed in 1971, and was brought up on exchanges and glass syringes. I have held my driving licence since 17, and am well used to the checks done every 3 years (visual field test etc), but I understand that DVLA now wants 3 months BG results.

Is this the case?

How do the DVLA get this information?

What are they looking for, low BG or overall control?

Do any of you guys have any experience of this new application?

I have searched the DVLA site, but information seems to be patchy.

Thanks in advance!

Brian.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure to be honest as I've not renewed since the changes, is it not the case that they'll only ask for 3 months bg reading if your having frequent (unassisted) hypo's or are having to reapply after losing a licence due to being assisted with 2 or more hypo's in 1 year period?......I'm not sure but a Google search will say or hopefully someone else will be along to say.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As I understand it ... Any HCP can download any equipment you have to check your blood to ascertain that you are safe to drive... And yes this can be the last 3 months that would be in line with your hba1c.

I have had discussions with medical answering people from dvla back a couple years and they basically told me... That if you say you recognise every hypo... You stand a chance to have ur licence revoked immediately... Because they expect diabetics on human insulin to have unrecognised hypos.... BUT... Not more than 1 a year....They would actually question whether you recognise any hypo... This comment was made to me before they even brought in these new EU LAWS...

I know HCP's used to have a tick box form to complete, as I sat with my consultant whilst he completed mine... As I insisted on being there whilst he did it.. But this was due to an incident I experienced.
I dont know what the forms are like now for hcp's.

My licence was reviewed last year pre EU and the DVLA never wrote to gp or consultant.

Owing to the incident I had, I am totally OTT on ensuring I recognise hypo's, never need help and ALWAYS can prove I test before I drive..

offtheback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the reply's

I have Googled the subject, but information is a bit vague.

I don't really have hypo's - more the other direction! I seems a bit harsh however, that one hypo a year can result in loosing your licence.

Personally I always carry a BG meter and glucose gel in my car, and I would like to think that every other diabetic would be sensible enough not to drive whilst their BG was low.

My licence is up for renewal this August, so I guess I can have the conversation with my consultant before then.

Bit nerve racking tho!

l0vaduck

I filled in the form for my licence renewal yesterday. There was nothing on it about requiring blood test results.

The thing about more than one hypo is only if you couldn't treat it yourself.

I'm not sure about the thing about not saying you always recognise hypos. I think with good hypo awareness plenty of people could say yes to this.

iHs

Hi

It does appear that the DVLA can now ask at random for GPs to do medical reports on a diabetic's fitness to drive regarding hypo awareness when the driving licence is up for renewal. I will have to see my GP later this year regarding this....

But if you ask me.... I think that its all gone a bit over the top ..... As long as diabetics (who use insulin or some other med that lowers bg level) test their bg levels before they drive and make sure that they are not below a certain level and if necessary eat some carb or have some sweets or glucose tabs within easy reach just to keep safe, then really cant see what all the hoo haa is about. The important thing is that no one gets involved in a car accident or injures a pedestrian because of experiencing a hypo and not realising how low bg levels are going...

I only drive my car for probably no more than 30-45mins at a time...... If I had to drive a lot more often then I would seriously be looking at getting a cgm........

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Must admit although hypo aware the cgm for driving lobg distsnces is fantastic .. As long as you allow for it not being 100% accuarate and lagging in real time to blood... I lived driving long distance with it, because as at tge touch of a button you know your exactish level.. And so long as above 6 then ok.. It alarms if levels start to go up or down and this enabled me to do long trips so easily snd without worry.

I too will not drive without testing, eating, stopping, testing eating stopping... Or the other option .. Hubby!!!

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Brian,

I had my licence renewed and upgraded from Provisional to Full last year. The DVLA rules require a diabetic to be able to prove that they bloodtest with 3 months worth of tests, they didn't ask me for 3 months of tests, but because of these rules, they are entitled to request proof of your blood test results, I'm assuming it would be a case of requesting them from your GP, which may result in your GP wanting to set up a check up for you so they can send the reports back.