New guy here!!

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
My name is Jamie, im a 42 year old, graying, overweight male..and if thats not bad enough i've just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, bearing that in mind i thought it best to drop by and check out your site.

2 weeks ago a friend used black magic and a little blood machine to scare the hell out of me, it read 24.4, today, the little blood machine my doctor gave me reads 16.8.

The doctor has prescribed metformin = 1 500mg daily for 1st week, 2 daily for 2nd week, 3 daily 3rd, 4 for 4th then he said ill be on 2 x 1000mg daily thereafter
Glipizide = 80mg once daily in the morning
Atorvastatin 20mg at 1 daily

I have cut out as much sugar as possible and swapped over to splenda, i eat bran flakes or brown bread toast for breakfast, cottage cheese on rivita for dinner and grilled chicken, new potatoes and a huge mound of green beans and peas for tea, this has been my eating habit for the last 2 weeks...
Im not really sure why I'm telling you what i eat...im a bit dizzy with the news to be honest and not physically having anyone to talk to i find myself rambling.
I dont know what this site is like for giving out tips but if anyone could find it in there heart to throw some this way id be very appreciative.
Soooo.....HELLO ...i'll see you around

Mods if i have put this in the wrong section pls can you move it for me...Danka!!

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im not really sure why I'm telling you what i eat.

Because that is the most important piece of info you have and will be the key to you getting T2 under control.

Hi and welcome

I'll tag in @daisy1 for the intro pack.

In the meanwhile I'd advise ditching the bran flakes and brown toast and replacing with eggs and bacon.
Dump the Ryvita, new potatoes and peas (probably ) and have roasted chicken thighs over grilled breast (if that's what you are having) The green beans are great as is any above ground veg (apart from peas really).

Did they give you a reason for the statin because in my opinion its not a great idea unless you have already had a cardiac event (and even then maybe debatable)...

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did they give you a reason for the statin because in my opinion it's not a great idea unless you have already had a cardiac event (and even then maybe debatable)...

He didn't mention my cholesterol at all...the appointment went like this..."Hi Jamie, right, normally id spend about an hour with a new dia but I can only spare 15 mins today...blah..blah..blah...here take these scripts and come back on the 25th

Doc said that being diabetic and overwieg...FAT!!...increases the risk of heart attacks to the same level as someone that has already had one and is waiting for the next... I told him I had reservations about them and asked if I really needed them and he said "yes if you don't want to die"...we get on quite well so he is always blunt...i want to trust that my doctor knows best but I'm holding off taking them while I do a little research....i dont understand why so many are prescribed statins if they are bad for you, like i said i need to do some more research

Thanks for the interest bud!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I told him I had reservations about them and asked if I really needed them and he said "yes if you don't want to die".

That is a particularly appalling thing for any doctor to say. As well as being highly suspect.
Up to you if you take them but there have been a number of recent studies showing that statins raise blood sugar levels.. not exactly the best thing for someone with T2 to have!

Reactions: Shas3 and Rosie B

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Welcome @res1492 ! You have definitely come to the right place for support. The meters can vary up to 15% so if your friend’s reading and your own overlap within in their respective lower and upper margins of error, I’d say the reality lay halfway between them lol. Not sure if that is fact but the math indicates it. Your changed way of eating jusssst miiiight have something to do with your lower numbers, too.
I’m tagging @JoKalsbeek for her handy info packet also. It covers much ground.
When I got my first evil result, I did exactly the type of food thing you did, also was pretty low calorie, not happily though, and had already been trying to stop the stress-eating of sweets.
When I found this forum, I tossed my dr’s food cheat sheet out to try actual low carb. That’s when things started to look up. I’ve not had a massive success story as some here have, but I’ve lost 30 lbs since last summer, brought my BG’s significantly down, and very oddly only budged the HbA1c 0.1 in 6 months, which is at least not a diabetic reading.
We’d love to meet you at “what have you eaten today?” in the low carb diet section of the food/nutrition forum. I am in awe of the cooks and pastry chefs there.
My current upshot is, stress eating addiction has switched to dairy fat lol, and I discovered that the major part of my sugar craving was actually a chocoholic thing. So I eat Lindt 90% dark chocolate, which is so satisfying that I can bake regular brownies or cake safely so long as I have a nibble of choc in my mouth the whole time!

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi zauberflote thanks for the reply.
Yeah, it looks like I'm gonna have to cut those carbs out....but why do they have to be so tasty. Luckily I love veg and salads but you know how it is...Salad or pizza!!??..pizza wins plain and simple...well not anymore!!...(queue the Rocky music)... I emptied the freezer of "nasties" last week, filled up the salad draw...im throwing out the bran flakes and brown bread and ordering eggs from the little old hen lady down the road...Roast chicken and cauliflower mash for tea tonight and eyes of tigers for breakfast...!

Did someone say "pastry chefs"...i'll see you there!

You may have realised I'm a bit excitable when I get going.... I think I'm gonna like this place... if ya'll have me

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
You may have realised I'm a bit excitable when I get going.... I think I'm gonna like this place... if ya'll have me

Hey be as wild and as excited as you want, bud! It's always best to be positive when faced with all this and it's great to see you taking it all on board right now. Best to get rid of the Gremlins of the kitchen I am now calling them so you can be carb free in peace and quiet. There's still so much you can snack and eat that'll keep your blood sugars down where they should be and I find them so much better than carby snacks anyhow!

Reminds me I need to make that meatzza sometime...

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shas3 and ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @res1492 and welcome. I have been eating LCHF for about 15 months now and it has transformed my health so much I am just not interested in going back. I would advise you to read as much of the forum threads as you can and the single most important thing is get a glucose meter and for the first few months test when starting to eat and again 2 hours later. That way you soon find how things you eat affect you. I am an old technophobe so I used to write this info down in a desk diary but there are apps!! You soon build up a bank of safe meals that way. Best wishes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@res1492 edit you should continue to test longer than first few months...I was ham fistedly trying to show you how to build up safe meals like I did. I still test several tomes a day and most definitely when I eat anything new. Good luck.

Reactions: Shas3 and gemma_T1

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Reactions: zauberflote

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A big thank you to everyone for making me feel welcomed, being able to talk to people in the same boat means more than you know....well actually you probably all do know what with you going through the same thing...anywho THANK YOU

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
My name is Jamie, im a 42 year old, graying, overweight male..and if thats not bad enough i've just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, bearing that in mind i thought it best to drop by and check out your site.

2 weeks ago a friend used black magic and a little blood machine to scare the hell out of me, it read 24.4, today, the little blood machine my doctor gave me reads 16.8.

The doctor has prescribed metformin = 1 500mg daily for 1st week, 2 daily for 2nd week, 3 daily 3rd, 4 for 4th then he said ill be on 2 x 1000mg daily thereafter
Glipizide = 80mg once daily in the morning
Atorvastatin 20mg at 1 daily

I have cut out as much sugar as possible and swapped over to splenda, i eat bran flakes or brown bread toast for breakfast, cottage cheese on rivita for dinner and grilled chicken, new potatoes and a huge mound of green beans and peas for tea, this has been my eating habit for the last 2 weeks...
Im not really sure why I'm telling you what i eat...im a bit dizzy with the news to be honest and not physically having anyone to talk to i find myself rambling.
I dont know what this site is like for giving out tips but if anyone could find it in there heart to throw some this way id be very appreciative.
Soooo.....HELLO ...i'll see you around

Mods if i have put this in the wrong section pls can you move it for me...Danka!!

Hello and welcome

You have been given a lot of really good info already so I will just give you an example of what I eat in a day to give you an idea. But no bread pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit juice or cereal. I substitute rice with cauli rice, pasta with courgette spaghetti or veg, potatoes with celeriac.

My typical day on LCHF (for me that's around 50g to 70g carbs a day, many go a lot lower but see what you are happy with)

Breakfast If I’m not feeling like breakfast I just have a coffee and double cream. If I feel like breakfast I will have one of the following usually: 2 eggs any which way I fancy, with cheese, double cream, mushrooms, cooked in butter. Bacon x 2 with 2 x eggs any which way, mushrooms if I fancy, sausage as a treat. Kippers. Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries (no other fruit as too sweet) or a sprinkle of keto muesli with full fat yoghurt. Continental breakfast of cheese, ham, salami, tomatoes, olives.

Lunch (if I'm hungry or if I have skipped breaky) Salad with fish or meat (I love chorizo chicken and feta or grilled halloumi at the mo) with full fat mayo

Continental lunch – if I feel like a cracker I have 1 x 'thins' cracker (lashings of butter!) Dinner Meat and veg (above ground veg better for diabetics) Lots of broccoli and cauli, stir fry. And I cut out alcohol initially to get blood sugars right down as quickly as possible (my husband was delighted as I became the designated driver!!!)– I do enjoy a drink now, I love a glass of red wine with my evening meal.

In the beginning I drank lots of water. I wanted to wash out the sugar that had accumulated in my body that could cause any damage. It did not take long before my blood sugar level started to come down. I could see from the Mysugr app on my phone that my hbac1 was going in the right direction. You have a meter so I would encourage you to record your fasting blood glucose level, before you eat and 2 hours later. Mysugr will give you an estimate of what your hba1c will be.

Check out diet doctor and ditch the carbs web sites. As well as the link you have been given to 'what have you eaten today' on here. So much great info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181111-070329_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181111-070329_Facebook.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: Kat1979

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My typical day on LCHF (for me that's around 50g to 70g carbs a day, many go a lot lower but see what you are happy with)

Mysugr will give you an estimate of what your hba1c will be.

Check out diet doctor and ditch the carbs web sites. As well as the link you have been given to 'what have you eaten today' on here. So much great info.

Hi Debandez..... After finding out from my doctor today i jumped in and read so much it's all spinning around in my head, I got lots to think about.
I have the diet doctor app it got some really delicious ideas that I will be trying.
Can I ask what LCHF and hba1c is?

Thanks for your reply

As I read other threads I realise that my blood sugar is stupidly high at 16 ...is that what giving me headaches and sore throat do you think?....god I wish I could talk to someone face to face it's hard on forums...i'm dyslexic so each post takes me about 15mins to type.
Anyway, I'm packing it in for the night...once again...THANK YOU for all your help...means a lot

Last edited:
Reactions: Shas3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debandez..... After finding out from my doctor today i jumped in and read so much it's all spinning around in my head, I got lots to think about.
I have the diet doctor app it got some really delicious ideas that I will be trying.

Thanks for your reply

As I read other threads I realise that my blood sugar is stupidly high at 16 ...is that what giving me headaches and sore throat do you think?....god I wish I could talk to someone face to face it's hard on forums...i'm dyslexic so each post takes me about 15mins to type.
Anyway, I'm packing it in for the night...once again...THANK YOU for all your help...means a lot

I think you are doing the right thing in relaxing now. So much to digest. I'm not medically trained so cant comment on your head aches and sore throat. But I will say I personally wouldn't think they would be associated. Google diabetes symptoms. That will give you a comprehensive list.

Hba1c is the blood test which diagnosed you. It's the average blood glucose over a 2 to 3 month period..and lchf is low carb high healthy fat way of eating. Apologies for not explaining.

As you struggle reading I would go to Google and watch some videos. Much easier for you. Try Jason fung. Sarah Hallberg. Go for short ones. Google 'reversing diabetes' and their videos should be at the top. You can pause, digest. Make some notes. Questions to ask on the forum.

Sleep well tonight. I feel for you as I know how you are feeling. We have all been there. But it WILL get better. For me and many others my diagnosis was a blessing in disguise.

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok last post...i just did my blood sugar and its 9.9 but i haven't eaten since about 3pm (16.8) , its 8:45pm now....its goin in the right direction at last.
Thats it, no more posts tonight...good night everyone
:happy:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

There are thousands of posts on the forum on both topics. They are inextricably tied ... what you eat (level of sugars) determines your bloods. The worse the food, the worse the bloods, the worse the bloods, the greater the risks to your health.

They are ABSOLUTES

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi Debandez..... god I wish I could talk to someone face to face it's hard on forums...i'm dyslexic so each post takes me about 15mins to type.
I use the phone app almost exclusively, and my phone does dictation even though Siri is not enabled. I am buoyed by your perseverance! I have two dysgraphic sons (and one seems to have dyscalculia as well, poor guy), and even that was very hard on them in school. Keyboards changed it, and I learned not to mind spelling.....

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the phone app almost exclusively, and my phone does dictation even though Siri is not enabled. I am buoyed by your perseverance! I have two dysgraphic sons (and one seems to have dyscalculia as well, poor guy), and even that was very hard on them in school. Keyboards changed it, and I learned not to mind spelling.....

It’s not that bad now spell checks exist, I don’t have a problem reading, it’s spelling where I fall down, I know how you are meant to sound out words to spell them but my brain won’t work like that, if I can’t remember how a word looks I can’t spell it, it’s all done with memory, the strange thing is if I see a misspelled word I know it’s not right but can’t begin the correct it