New here, type 2 and just starting on insulin

samanthag48

Hi Everyone, as the title says I am new here. I am type 2 diabetic an have been for nearly 3 years. Up until recently my HB1 and overall diabetes has been well controlled with diet and exercise. But seemingly over the last few months my sugar levels have risen, I am not sure how as I feel my diet has been good. However, I had a hip operation last April but have still been in a lot of pain and as a consequence am unable to do much exercise because of this. I have also been having steroid injections into my hip joint so not sure if this has an effect.
Over the past month or so I have been unable t control my sugar levels and ended up in A&E on Tuesday this week after a phone consultation with my GP. This was because my sugar levels were not dropping below 30 even after taking my medication.
I saw the diabetic team and they started me on 0.25mg Ozempic to be increased after 1 month. So I have just received a call from the diabetic team and they are still not happy with my sugar levels which are ranging between 18-25. She then spoke with the consultant and now I have to start on daily Insulin injections.
Does anyone have any advice? obviously this is all new to me and has all been done over the phone as they are not allowed to make appointments so I am feeling a bit out of my depth.
Do I still eat low carb and low sugar? can I drink alcohol? (mothers day on Sunday) so many questions I do not know where to start.

Any advice would be very much appreciated
Many Thanks
Sam

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

What I have experienced is that stress and pain have have a negative effect on your blood sugar levels. I have also read that steroids can also increase them so you really have been through a triple whammy. The blood sugar levels increasing is just one more hot to you- I am so sorry. It must be enormously frustrating to have kept them under control for so long only to have the levels rise due to factors beyond your control.

My advice would be to try to keep relatively low carb with regular testing- regular testing is important for everyone but particularly for those on insulin.

I have found that diet had way more effect on my blood sugar levels than exercise.

I am not on insulin so will leave more advice to more experienced people.

Hugs and take care of yourself

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Keep going with the low carb. Wine and spirits are OK in small quantities but be careful if your blood sugar is low thru the insulin as the liver can't dump glucose if it's busy getting rid of alcohol. Are you slim? Although the steroids are no doubt increasing your BS if you are slim'ish then you could be T1 (LADA) and not T2 as mis-diagnosis is common.

samanthag48

Hi. Keep going with the low carb. Wine and spirits are OK in small quantities but be careful if your blood sugar is low thru the insulin as the liver can't dump glucose if it's busy getting rid of alcohol. Are you slim? Although the steroids are no doubt increasing your BS if you are slim'ish then you could be T1 (LADA) and not T2 as mis-diagnosis is common.
Thanks for your reply, I am not slim, I am a size 16 and weigh 14 stone so I do need to lose weight, I forgot to add I have also been given Ozempic injection to take once a week which is supposed to help suppress your apetite and help you lose weight, so I suppose I need to watch this space.
Sam