A_njanaaa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone,

My name is Anjana, I am new here. I have a very unusual story as I am a medical mystery to my doctors. I have seen a lot of doctors and still they don't know what type of diabetes I have. Unfortunately it is now getting really critical and there is no treatment.

I need the crowd for help...

Do you like to puzzle on medical mysteries or would you like to help, or are you just curious for who I am, please watch this video:

Thanks a lot! I hope to learn a lot here.

Kind regards,

Anjana Gort

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @A_njanaaa , good to see you have found the forum!

Would it be possible to include the text of your video as plain text?
Reading the video is not easy for all of our members.

(For other members: I saw Anjana's post in a Dutch facebook group, watched the video, and thought it an interesting riddle where some of our members might have useful thoughts so I recommended posting here.)

I hope you'll find some answers or at least things to look into!

Reactions: A_njanaaa

A_njanaaa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Sharing = caring. ♡

-------- Most important information --------
- Long medical history since early childhood / baby
- Low birthweight, but within range
- Underweight for all my life (never reached a normal weight)
- Lots of feeding problems as a baby, vomiting, cramps, pain
- Recurrent infections as a child, especially ear infections, severe lung infections
- Various periods of growth stagnation and even weight loss as a child, due to various causes, first period as a 2 year old
- Symptoms of dysautonomia already in early childhood
- Symptoms of low blood sugar as a child, once measured at 2.8 mmol/l (40-50mg/dl)
- Periods of extreme hunger as a child, but kept being very thin
- Late onset of puberty, late first period
- Dysautonomia has gotten worse

-------- More --------
I have always been very sporty, very strong.
I loved sport. I was a social kid and youngster and I had a very 'bubbly' personality. Still have.

I was diagnosed with anorexia and severe underweight as a teen. I remember I just stopped eating, in the first place because I didn't feel well after eating, physically. After some while I started feeling very restless and hyperactive (this is a pure result of malnutrition) and then started running and doing sports for six hours a day, at least, without eating. I wasn't hungry anymore so I never really started eating again and then found out I felt much better without eating.
However, I became very thirsty at some point. I could drink tons of water. I lost more and more weight. Years later, still not eating well, we found out that my blood sugar was even more unstable than before, but this time I had also very high sugars. Even with that little amounts of food that I was eating (I wasn't eating any sugar at all and very little carbohydrates, it was mostly proteins). I went to the doctor but he didn't know.

-------- More --------
Then years later, now recovered from anorexia, I completely collapsed suddenly. My blood sugar turned out to be 33.1 mmol/l (1x) and 33.3 mmol/l (2x), extremely high (around 500 - 600 mg/dl). This is the accident I tell about in the video. The years after the incident my sugars were completely out of balance. Five years after the incident I was diagnosed with diabetes, but now, seven years later, they still don't know the type of diabetes that I have.

I have very low readings at night, without insulin. I even had an epileptic insult at night, while not having epilepsy. However, during the day my sugars are high, even with very small amounts of food, very little carbohydrates and even with a very slow stomach (I am diagnosed with severe gastoparesis since a few years).
For example, even with a small bowl of just yogurt it's running high. I am quite vulnerable for all kinds of infections. There's now also symptoms of early renal failure.

-------- More --------
C-peptide and insuline were measured twice. One time normal and one time very low (insulin at 7 pmol/l, at a reference of 15-90, too low, c-peptide at 0.10 nmol/l at a reference of 0.25 - 0.90, also too low). In the midst of all this I was also diagnosed with Lyme disease after a tick bite. I have no antibodies for type 1 diabetes, or not anymore. I have also no antibodies for Lyme disease, or not anymore. My igE always came back much too low, I don't know if this means something in relation to antibodies.
My ANA / ANF (auto immune factor) was positive with every test.

So, nowadays I am high during the day, but very low at night, and this is now getting dangerous while no doctor knows what causes it and what to do. This is why I need help.

-------- Thank you all so much --------

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings @A_njanaaa

Completely left field but I remember reading about Karen Carpenter, who famously died of anorexia.
Her blood sugar was over 1,000mg/dl when discovered by EMTs.
The explanation was given as the following:

It is not uncommon for those with anorexia nervosa to suffer from chronic pancreatitis. Pancreatitis can cause temporary or permanent diabetes mellitus. It just depends on how much damage has been done by the inflammation to the islet cells.

Perhaps this is something you could research & bring to your doctors attention.
Please note, I'm not a medical professional, just remembering something I'd read which might be pertinent in your case.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
Hi Anjana. I am not a medical professional either and don't know much about the pancreas either.
But has anybody suggested Stem Cell therapy. Sorry but don't know much about that either.
But Stem Cell therapy seems to be able to heal a lot things nowadays.
Good luck and all the best.

A_njanaaa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all soooo much!

I save every suggestion and try to discuss it with my doctors. We have some hypotheses, but I think it's too soon to share. So I'll come back to that later but please keep giving suggestions because we may search wrong