Type 1 New Ideas For Hypo Treatment For 11 Year Old

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jayden2407 - Should you decide to pack jelly babies, in your hold luggage as his holiday hypo kit (obviously you/he needs to have something in case anything immediate happens), please be aware that in warmer climates, they can meld into a solid, multicoloured mass, making "dosing" impossible.

Whilst I have never needed hypo treatments, nor has my PH, he does like the odd jelly baby, but well ended uo with e Jelly Babygate on one occassion when his treat was discovered as a blob. They keep fine in a fridge in a sealed (like clip-top) container, if that helps.

Jelly Babygate was about a month into our stay in the heat, but I have no idea at which point, or temperature, the metamorphosis began.

Just saying. :)

I hope you all have a fab holiday.

Reactions: Jayden2407

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Jayden2407 - Should you decide to pack jelly babies, in your hold luggage as his holiday hypo kit (obviously you/he needs to have something in case anything immediate happens), please be aware that in warmer climates, they can meld into a solid, multicoloured mass, making "dosing" impossible.

Whilst I have never needed hypo treatments, nor has my PH, he does like the odd jelly baby, but well ended uo with e Jelly Babygate on one occassion when his treat was discovered as a blob. They keep fine in a fridge in a sealed (like clip-top) container, if that helps.

Jelly Babygate was about a month into our stay in the heat, but I have no idea at which point, or temperature, the metamorphosis began.

Can agree with you on that one! My girlfriend has them in her car and we were off somewhere and I scanned the Libre to check my bloods and a low cam up. Went into the glove box and opened a Jelly Blob. Was pretty nice taking a bite off it thou. I must have taken about 10 jelly babies worth (yes I have a big mouth) as my blood shot to 11 not long afterwards and I was giving myself a correction dose :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The lactose.. ;) were talking "old skool" treatment from a from a "Peter & Jane style, have diabetes" book 42 years ago, when i was a kid given me when discharged from hospital? "He feels funny & mummy gives him milk." (we are talking the mid 1970s.)
I was on a seriously brutal porcine insulin regime back then.. No meters.

It's still my "go to" as a married guy now on MDI, years later! & never let me down.. :)

I can vaguely remember a similar book been given to me in 1972!! Milk never used to do it for me thou, even thou I drink loads of it now :D

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can vaguely remember a similar book been given to me in 1972!! Milk never used to do it for me thou, even thou I drink loads of it now :D

The copy of the book i was given seemed old in 1976. It even covered "sick days." somehow it was always the boy in the book that got into "jolly scrapes" with his diabetes. The girl seemed spend most her time getting a pat on the head from the Doc?

The milk has alway has to be cold for me.. (personal preference.) I'd quite often raided the fridge in the night & my dad had nothing left for his morning cuppa. Milkman didn't show up till after he'd gone to work. :banghead:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can agree with you on that one! My girlfriend has them in her car and we were off somewhere and I scanned the Libre to check my bloods and a low cam up. Went into the glove box and opened a Jelly Blob. Was pretty nice taking a bite off it thou. I must have taken about 10 jelly babies worth (yes I have a big mouth) as my blood shot to 11 not long afterwards and I was giving myself a correction dose :)

As I have something cooking in the sous vide at the moment, it just struck me I could recreate that Babygate moment with my OH's Jelly Baby Snowmen he still has unopened, since Christmas.

For someone with a self-confessed sweet tooth, he's not making much effort, bearing in mind they are sitting in a cupboard, alongside several dark chocolate Terry's Chocolate Oranges, which are his all time favourites!

I'm now struggling to get the recreated jelly blob out of my mind. There's only another 2.5 hours to go on the timer. I'm sure that'd be long enough.............. :playful:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
As I have something cooking in the sous vide at the moment, it just struck me I could recreate that Babygate moment with my OH's Jelly Baby Snowmen he still has unopened, since Christmas.

For someone with a self-confessed sweet tooth, he's not making much effort, bearing in mind they are sitting in a cupboard, alongside several dark chocolate Terry's Chocolate Oranges, which are his all time favourites!

I'm now struggling to get the recreated jelly blob out of my mind. There's only another 2.5 hours to go on the timer. I'm sure that'd be long enough.............. :playful:

Hehe or should be a cackling witchy type laugh...... DO IT....... microwave them lol

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My jelly babies have never turned into jelly blobs when abroad. Maybe I've been lucky but I've been in temperatures in high 20s, 30s and low 40s and my babies haven't become blobs. I wonder if that's because I keep a Frio pouch in the same bag as my JBs (along with camera etc).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My jelly babies have never turned into jelly blobs when abroad. Maybe I've been lucky but I've been in temperatures in high 20s, 30s and low 40s and my babies haven't become blobs. I wonder if that's because I keep a Frio pouch in the same bag as my JBs (along with camera etc).

The particular instance of jelly blobbies was when we were sailing in the tropics, so it was pretty toasty, with very strong direct sunlight onto the hull. The JBs were in an unrefrigerated locker, which would have become very warm in the afternoons.

Thereafter just things lived in the fridge full time, along with his stache of party sized Crunchie and Twix bars.

Glaswegian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

So we’re almost 9 weeks in to diagnosis, my son is 11 and type 1. So far he’s only ever taken the glucose tablets when treating a hypo but he complained about them for the first time at 6am this morning when I tested him and he was hypo (and half asleep!)

So I’m looking for new suggestions please, he doesn’t drink fizzy pop so that’s out of the question but I have read jelly babies work?! And a small (200ml) of orange juice? How many jelly babies would he need to have for 15-20g fast acting glucose?

Thanks in advance,
janelle

From Glaswegian.
I have been on insulin for 56 years now and still going strong. Hypos best bet is a big jar of Jelly babies in house for emergencies 3 JB equals 15 carbs or 1.5 CP’s : mini can of full fat coke (150 ml) equals 15 carbs or 1.5 CP’s.

Lucozade used to be my best bet but since new restrictions on sugar came in I have avoided that. Another favourite was a Mars bar, standard size = 4 CP’s which were handy to have in pocket and did not look out of place, however I came to enjoy them too much so stopped using them!

Do not panic as he gets older he will hopefully be able to sort it out himself. Good luck, the future us bright though a bit scary at the start!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ooooh, i'd be wary of keeping an activated Frio pouch in the same bag as electrical devices. :)
The Frio works by evaporating the water in the gell cells on the inner pouch.
With a "day" backpack. I either use a mesh pocket for the Frio or a seperate secure area in the back pack, slightly unzipped at the top? Allowing evaporation..

Jayden2407

Haha thank you! I’m going to stick to the GlucoTabs while on holiday :)

Jayden2407

Jayden2407

From Glaswegian.
I have been on insulin for 56 years now and still going strong. Hypos best bet is a big jar of Jelly babies in house for emergencies 3 JB equals 15 carbs or 1.5 CP’s : mini can of full fat coke (150 ml) equals 15 carbs or 1.5 CP’s.

Lucozade used to be my best bet but since new restrictions on sugar came in I have avoided that. Another favourite was a Mars bar, standard size = 4 CP’s which were handy to have in pocket and did not look out of place, however I came to enjoy them too much so stopped using them!

Do not panic as he gets older he will hopefully be able to sort it out himself. Good luck, the future us bright though a bit scary at the start!

Wow that’s a long time! So you’re up there with the stories of using the old same needle that went blunt to inject insulin?! It’s amazing and I always tell my son about the stories I read on here and tell him how lucky he is with all of the medication and pre-sterile needles! :)

Yes as he gets older her can decide for himself, it’s all so new still! He likes the idea of jelly babies and I have told him I will keep some in the house. All though I think I will stick to the GlucoTabs while I’m not with him, save him sneaking them!!
I was told not to use chocolate? I suppose I will live and learn more as the time goes on.
Thank you

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pure sugar only for hypos. Adding anything else into the mix will slow absorption down. Particularly dangerous at night. 3 jelly babies 15 gms worth, check going up after 15 minutes. If not retreat hypo treatment. Was told that if coming up the advice is no longer to take other carbs as you will just end up higher than necessary and it will also slow down those fast acting carbs.

Jayden2407

The Frio works by evaporating the water in the gell cells on the inner pouch.
With a "day" backpack. I either use a mesh pocket for the Frio or a seperate secure area in the back pack, slightly unzipped at the top? Allowing evaporation..

I hear a lot of people talk about the frio-pouch: does/has anyone used the Dia-Pak pouch? I guess it does the same but is bigger??

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear a lot of people talk about the frio-pouch: does/has anyone used the Dia-Pak pouch? I guess it does the same but is bigger??
Hi,

I've just looked at the Dia Pak product. On the listing it suggests "This refrigerant gel pack is designed to freeze solid in a domestic type freezer." Lasting up to 12 hours..
Seems like a decent product, But one would need access to a freezer? Could be tricky with some holiday accommodation or whilst "back packing" for days on end..

The Frio by contrast just needs the inner pouch soaking in water for 15/20 minutes to activate the gell, then towel patting to remove excess water. Put it back in the outer skin pouch, load insulin or pens. & away you go, stopping your supply from spoiling in excess heat! :) Couple of days on one soak..

Madmum5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
PLEASE speak to your son's diabetic team.
If he is regularly hypoing in the morning he probably needs his night time insulin adjusting.
Please be careful giving liquids to him of he's lying down and hypoing as this can be very dangerous if it is absolutely necessary then use a straw.
My diabetic daughter is 9years old and 7 months into diagnosis unfortunately like injections and bm's there are some things like fizzy lucozade that they maybe don't like but are necessary!
Try leaving the lid off for a while to make it flatter!
10grams of carbs for a 9yo I think it's what we were told so 4/5 jelly babies.
Good luck

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
And try to avoid Mars Bars as the fat content doesn't allow for the carbs to be released very quickly

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
hi
Now that there is anti sugar think going on many of the sweet drinks now have smaller amounts of sugar. One of the only companies not to reduce sugar content is Coco Cola . If you drink one mini can of coke it will give u exactly 15 g of sugar . I use to drink lucozade but due to the amount of sugar reduced ( 15 down to 4) you now have to drink nearly 4 x. As much as u use to . The mini cans of cola give the perfect amount without having to drink a vast amount. The diabetic clinic where I go recommend a 15-15-15 rule . Which is 15g of fast acting sugar to get rid of hypo then wait 15 mins then take 15 g of long term carbs seems to do the trick. ( hard part is when I get a hypo I could eat the contents of my fridge) Gluco gel is available on prescription which is good even if it tastes like ****.
Hope this helps

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Ps the glyco gel is good cos if he is sleeping just by rubbing it on his lips he will absorbe it

Reactions: Grant_Vicat