Type 1 New Ideas For Hypo Treatment For 11 Year Old

Jayden2407

A few hypo treatments I have used are cereal bars,Capri suns,Haribos jellies and gluco juice (not gonna lie gluco juice tastes pretty rank)

Thank you!
I haven’t tried the cereal bars, it is any of them?!
Also how many haribos do you have?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi
They don’t look very nice either!
Thank you I will go for the jelly babies - and make sure that he has the right amount to avoid a spike.
Also going to try the sports drink - what ml would you recommend to cover the right amount of glucose?
You would need to check the nutritional info on the sports drink and see how many grams of carbs are in each 100ml. You are aiming for aprox 20g of carbs to get the BG up to a normal level

D

Deleted Account

We go on holiday next week, all his snacks and hypo treatment I will have to buy once through customs won’t I?
Liquids will have to be bought after security but I am not aware of any limitation on solid foods through security.
You can pack some in your case. However, I am always nervous about whether my case will make it to the other end at the same time as I.
Definitely, absolutely definitely, do not put insulin in the case - the temperature in the hold is very cold and this will kill the insulin.
And remember to take twice as much of everything (including insulin pens) as you think you will need plus spare batteries for your meter and a letter from your doctor.
(Sorry, if you know this but I thought I would reiterate, just in case.)

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

Hi @Jayden2407, My wife declines to treat me with fluid stuff if I am laying in bed when hypo (fortunately very very rare) as she has had me dribble, spit and also vomit it out. This is NOT the way to impress Mum or Dad but then again you may not be in control of what you are doing. Mum, you do not need a full HAZMAT suit but a towel or two might be a wise precaution !
The glucose gels, though a little pricey, do a better job (agreeing with @helensaramay).
Anything with sucrose (table sugar) in it can work but is not good long term for teeth.
Glucose jelly beans may be OK too.
The greatest fear I have is something going down into my windpipe (going down the wrong way), so if I cannot be sit up and/or be co-operative, or appear to be unresponsive The Glucagon Injection Kit (TGIK) of the orange colour comes out.
My wife has threatened to use the biggest horse needle with which to inject me, but fortunately the needle of the syringe into which the glucagon powder is mixed with fluid has the needle fused to the syringe. Glucagon is on script I think in UK, and certainly in Australia !!
Hopefully some further tweaking of diet and insulin will make these hypos you are experiencing less common.
Best Wishes to you, Mum and Dad !!

Hi! Thank you yes my son hates the look of that huge needle, hopefully I won’t have to use it!!
I will try the jelly babies and sports drink and stick to the gel if unresponsive (then he won’t be aware what it is)
It’s more for a change for him. His hypos are a lot less that when first diagnosed thank god but my son is a pain for not testing his BG levels before doing any activity, he forgets!

Jayden2407

It needs to be quickly absorbed sugar until his levels are up - and the carb snack should ONLY be given when his levels are back up. My diabetes team has a good moan last time I was in about A&E giving a lady sweet tea and biscuits when her levels dropped and then wondering why they couldn't get them up. Sugar, make sure levels are up and wait at least 10 mins before eating the carbs.

I have haribos and orange juice cartons in the car and both work quickly for me. I can usually tell if I'm heading low - in which case it's 3 x haribos - or if I'm already at the shaky stage then the OJ hits quickly.

Fab thank you. Yes we do the glucose then carb snack when we’re treating his hypos once his levels are back up, he enjoys the biccies

Luckily he is hypo aware and so the first signs so far he’s been able to treat himself in school and at home. So Haribos/jelly babies/sports drink/OJ

Jayden2407

Maybe 2 or 3 rich tea biscuits as a follow up as they are only around 3g of carb per biscuit? AND when his sugars are back up to normal!

Yes we only give the biscuit once levels are back up. I will try a couple of biscuits as just the one I have noticed doesn’t bring up massively- only usually to about 4.5?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use different sweets, according to fancy. At the moment it's salty licqorice, but as your son is not Dutch he'll probably thinks you're trying to kill him if you try that on him.
Why not visit the sweet store with him and let him pick what sweets he likes?
You then take a look at how many carbs in glucose tablets he usually needs, check the back of preferred sweets for carbs/100 gram, figure out how many grams he'd need of it and weigh out hypo-portions.
And I love fresh fruit for a mild hypo.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Thank you!
I haven’t tried the cereal bars, it is any of them?!
Also how many haribos do you have?
@Jayden2407 i use the rice crispies cereal bar or sqaures which is a cereal bar with rice crispies and marshmallow for the haribos i would use the individual small packs which have 16g of sweets in them

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Yes we only give the biscuit once levels are back up. I will try a couple of biscuits as just the one I have noticed doesn’t bring up massively- only usually to about 4.5?
The extra carbs are only to keep him going longer term as the fast acting carbs tend to drop quicker

Jayden2407

Liquids will have to be bought after security but I am not aware of any limitation on solid foods through security.
You can pack some in your case. However, I am always nervous about whether my case will make it to the other end at the same time as I.
Definitely, absolutely definitely, do not put insulin in the case - the temperature in the hold is very cold and this will kill the insulin.
And remember to take twice as much of everything (including insulin pens) as you think you will need plus spare batteries for your meter and a letter from your doctor.
(Sorry, if you know this but I thought I would reiterate, just in case.)

Yes I will check on the snacks.. I would prefer to have them with me so will have some before security and buy some after if they won’t let me through haha

I have bought him a dia-pack pouch to keep his insulin in while travelling and on holiday, I will keep all of his medication with me in the extra hand luggage I have. I have doubled up on everything, got spare meter, batteries, insulin plus letter from Docs but I didn’t think about the pens! I will order some more from the DN tomorrow when we see her - thank you for the reminder!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Jayden2407

I use different sweets, according to fancy. At the moment it's salty licqorice, but as your son is not Dutch he'll probably thinks you're trying to kill him if you try that on him.
Why not visit the sweet store with him and let him pick what sweets he likes?
You then take a look at how many carbs in glucose tablets he usually needs, check the back of preferred sweets for carbs/100 gram, figure out how many grams he'd need of it and weigh out hypo-portions.
And I love fresh fruit for a mild hypo.

Brilliant! Haha thank you it’s an idea which I’m sure my son will love

Reactions: porl69

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing with glucotabs is you know exactly how many carbs are in each one and you're not going to over-treat as a treat! plus they're easily transportable in the little 'pocket' tubes, fairly clean don't melt or go off easily - if he can carry on using them then I'd suggest you do so, or at least encourage that they are the go to hypo treatment of choice.

Have a good holiday! It'll give Jayden a bit of a break from the T1D, change in weather, time zone, different food and exercise/activity will all have an affect so don't even try and stay spot on with his control it just won't happen! Just keep it 'reasonable' ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you milk? To treat a hypo? I didn’t know that, my son likes milk too so will give him the option.

The lactose.. ;) were talking "old skool" treatment from a from a "Peter & Jane style, have diabetes" book 42 years ago, when i was a kid given me when discharged from hospital? "He feels funny & mummy gives him milk." (we are talking the mid 1970s.)
I was on a seriously brutal porcine insulin regime back then.. No meters.

It's still my "go to" as a married guy now on MDI, years later! & never let me down.. :)