Type 1 New insulin nightmare

Lindad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. 5 days ago my nurse changed my Levi ear to a new insulin called Toujeo. I've been having problems with my sugars for a while now and having lots of hypos. I take 30 units of Levimer and this new insulin is supposed to be better and stop the hypos. I have been advised to take 27 units and if still hypo drop to 25units. Since taking it my sugars have been ridiculously high. I don't know whether to go back to Levimer or just see how I go. Obviously I feel terrible with sugars reading from 19-16 all day.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi lindad
welcome to the forum.

don't have any experience of this new analogue insulin myself but have had a read of it and i would give it a few more days to settle in and if it doesn't get straight back to ypur nurse.

Lindad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply. I will do that but it's so frustrating when it's taken me 6 months to start feeling better and now I'm back to square one

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks for your reply. I will do that but it's so frustrating when it's taken me 6 months to start feeling better and now I'm back to square one
i can understand your frustration -- have been living with type 1 for over 43 years so far -- think of it as a marathon , not a sprint :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It might be better to suggest you do a split dose of Levemir to avoid the hypos rather than changing to Toujeo.

Splitting Levemir is the NICE recommendation to minimise hypos.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I assume you are on Basal/Bolus and also taking a rapid insulin? Are you carb-counting and adjusting the ratio to get down below 9'ish 2 hours after a meal? What sort of diet do you have and is your BMI good?