1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Insulin User

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by stillo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. stillo

stillo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all

New insulin user here Type 2 on Novomix 30, im a little concerned that this Novomix may not be the right one for me or am i being a bit premature, i am taking 320 mg of gliclazide plus 6 units of Novomix twice a day and i am saddened to see that i have no improvement in my sugar levels at all, its only been two day's but i thought insulin was supposed to be instant, am i worrying over nothing

Cheers
    Stillo

2. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

Stick with the novomix that is how I started but it can be increased. Do you attend a diabetes clinic?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. stillo

Hi Crimsonclient

We have a Diabetes clinic at our Doctors, i have only started it on Monday so i know there is plenty of scope for increasing it,but i thought i would have noticed something, thank you for your reply

Stillo

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Speak with the clinic in the morning and hopefully they'll advise you on increasing the doses.

5. stillo

Hi Noblehead

I have an appointment with her on Monday hope we can resolve the problem

Cheers
    Stillo

6. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

That's good sorry not responded sooner but had a hectic couple of days, hope all goes well and you can get sorted out

7. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Your DN may have started you on a small dose intending to gradually increase it. Yes, it should show results within a day or so. Insulin regimes vary. If you want to take full control as you gain experience and are happy to have things get a bit more complex then at a future point discuss the Basal/Bolus regime with the DN and carb-counting, but don't rush. There are many on Novomix and it works quite well once the dose is right.

8. kerrygrant26

kerrygrant26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there i to started on Novomix30 but i was only kept on it for around 2 weeks where it didn't make much or any difference to my levels. The diabetes nurse then changed me to NovoRapid and Lantus (now changed to Levemir) it did mean more injections but it worked wonders for my levels it's coming down at a nice steady pace. This may be something your team decide to do with you but as others have said there is the option of increasing the dosage of the Novomix to see if that helps

9. stillo

We'll nearly two weeks on insulin and still high levels,although I do feel better in my self,nurse says no increase in dose until June at next blood test

Cheers
    stillo

10. parameswaran

parameswaran Type 2 · Active Member

Could you please explain why Lantus replaced by Levemir? I think Lantus doesnt have a peak, it keeps a flat curve.

Attached Files:

11. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Stillo
    Don't worry. It has taken me 4 months to get most of my BM tests close to 10 and even a few lower than that. Each Sunday evening I would email my weeks,results to my DSN and on Mondays she would email me back with the dose for the coming week. Slowly does it else if insulin is higher than needed hypos are a risk.
    Keep the faith

12. kerrygrant26

kerrygrant26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I changed from Lantus to Levemir due to an allergic reaction upon increasing dosage, I had an all over body itching lasting 6 hours and I was limping after the injection

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook