New(ish) Diagnosis Type2, trying to get/feel better

numbernine

Hi,

I was diagnosed in late Jan 2020, the time since has been a bit of a fog of denial and apathy until now. With what is going on in the world right now I finally took the plunge to accept and try and improve my health. I also have hypothyroidism and anaemia both of which I take medication for.

I was advised by the diabetic nurse I saw that my levels were 48 and I would have 3 months to try and get my levels down before I might need to start medication.
I’ve been trying to test my blood sugar levels for a couple of days now. But I’m not sure what it should be and when.

I test first thing in the morning and 2hrs after a meal. I use an app to log my results. I’m a vegetarian so not sure if low carb is the way forward as my diet consists of veggies,beans, grains and fruit of course.

I guess I’m waffling now, would be grateful for any tips or help and guidance.

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my husband and I were mainly vegetarian, but I admit that since my diagnosis of T2 in October last year, I have eaten more meat, like steak and a bit of pork/bacon. The Linda McCartney range is pretty good though and I do have the “beef burgers” and “sausages” from her range. I also eat more fish now and eggs.

Reactions: VashtiB

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Vegetarians are at a disadvantage when trying to reduce their blood glucose levels, as all the lowest carb choices are not on their menu.
I can only suggest looking for the lower carb options - cauliflower, swede or turnip but not potato for instance, and berries rather than anything high in sugar.

numbernine

Hi, my husband and I were mainly vegetarian, but I admit that since my diagnosis of T2 in October last year, I have eaten more meat, like steak and a bit of pork/bacon. The Linda McCartney range is pretty good though and I do have the “beef burgers” and “sausages” from her range. I also eat more fish now and eggs.

thank you, I can add more eggs to my diet, not a big fan but i can experiment.

numbernine

Vegetarians are at a disadvantage when trying to reduce their blood glucose levels, as all the lowest carb choices are not on their menu.
I can only suggest looking for the lower carb options - cauliflower, swede or turnip but not potato for instance, and berries rather than anything high in sugar.

Thanks for replying. Having been a life long dieter and currently at my heaviest I’m have replaced rice with cauli rice, cut out potatoes and limited fruits.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi@numbernine

Can I suggest that you try a few low carb meals and see what your blood testing shows about your levels. I've never been a vegetarian but didn't eat a lot of meat as I don't like it. I now eat a lot of meat and fish and my blood sugars are well controlled. I think it may be more difficult as a vegetarian but I also think you need to find a position that works for you. Start with some low or very low carb meals to see if low carb helps with your blood sugars. If they do then the next step is to find out how low you need to go and what types of carbs cause spikes. Some people can tolerate some carbs but not others so it is worthwhile experimenting.

Good luck!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed in late Jan 2020, the time since has been a bit of a fog of denial and apathy until now. With what is going on in the world right now I finally took the plunge to accept and try and improve my health. I also have hypothyroidism and anaemia both of which I take medication for.

I was advised by the diabetic nurse I saw that my levels were 48 and I would have 3 months to try and get my levels down before I might need to start medication.
I’ve been trying to test my blood sugar levels for a couple of days now. But I’m not sure what it should be and when.

I test first thing in the morning and 2hrs after a meal. I use an app to log my results. I’m a vegetarian so not sure if low carb is the way forward as my diet consists of veggies,beans, grains and fruit of course.

I guess I’m waffling now, would be grateful for any tips or help and guidance.
48 is right on the cusp of being diagnosed. Many are not given meds even if much higher initially and have a window to improve things.

Also important is your anemia. It can effect the hb1ac test accuracy and your nurse should have known this. It may be worth asking for a fructosamine test instead.

With regards to testing the main site here beyond the forums has a wealth of knowledge. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html. Ideally and eventually what you want are levels that don’t exceed 7.8mmol at 2hrs post eating and rise by less than 2mmol from pre eating levels. Meeting these targets would put you in the “normal” range. Some members here aim for even better than these cutoff levels. You probably aren’t too far from them with your hb1ac as it is. Morning fasting readings are likely to be the worst once you have safe foods sorted out for the rest of the day and can take quite a while (if ever) to reduce to the ideal below 6mmol because of dawn phenomenon even if the rest of the day is great so don’t be disheartened by them.

Reactions: numbernine