New Meds’

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I have been back to my surgery today as I have been having a hypo a day for 5 days now. The nurse wants me to come off Gliclazide 40mg and go on Metformin starting off with 2 tablets a day and building up to 4 a day. My last HbA1c was on 12/10/17 and was 37. Am I wrong in thinking do I need this and can I cope without the Metformin as my diet is lchf?

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Why not give it a go at least? Metformin is considered a safe enough drug that will aid with liver dumps.
You will have heard of the dreaded Met tummy but not all of us suffer with that, I didn't. If there is no great adverse tummy upset and your bg control remains good you can always review at a later date. Good luck.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The nurse did say expect diarrhoea, wind, stomach cramps and possibly sickness.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The nurse did say expect diarrhoea, wind, stomach cramps and possibly sickness.

Aye, that is Met tummy. Some people get it for a few days and then it settles and some do not get it at all. Some people cannot adjust so are prescribed the slow release version which is said to be kinder on the system. And for some they cannot tolerate Met in any form.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in May and was started on Metformin 500mgs one a day for a week then up to two a day, then finally after another week three. I had the Metformin ‘runs’ for maybe a week but now I’m fine on it. I maintain a carb intake of 50 - 70g per day, I self test and my last HbA1c was 36. I’m quite happy to stay on it as it has other health benefits too.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was diagnosed in May and was started on Metformin 500mgs one a day for a week then up to two a day, then finally after another week three. I had the Metformin ‘runs’ for maybe a week but now I’m fine on it. I maintain a carb intake of 50 - 70g per day, I self test and my last HbA1c was 36. I’m quite happy to stay on it as it has other health benefits too.

Thank you Rachox that has reassured me a little more. What I am finding hard to get my head around is that I was on 40mg of Gliclazide a day and the nurse wants me to take (after a build up of 4 weeks) 2000mg a day. Would you mind telling me what other health benefits it has.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Rachox that has reassured me a little more. What I am finding hard to get my head around is that I was on 40mg of Gliclazide a day and the nurse wants me to take (after a build up of 4 weeks) 2000mg a day. Would you mind telling me what other health benefits it has.
Different drugs have different dosages so I don’t think you need to worry about the mgs of Metformin prescribed, you may find that two or three a day do the job. Here’s a link to the pros and cons:
https://selfhacked.com/blog/uses-benefits-metformin/#3_Metformin_Treats_Symptoms_of_PCOS[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Hammer1964

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder why you were on Gliclazide anyway as this drug to stimulates your pancreas when it is failing; perhaps they thought yours was failing? Metformin is completely different. It mainly reduces the liver's glucose output. The drug only ever has a small effect on blood sugar and most are on up to 2000mg per day. What the nurse should have told you is that if you have bowel issues for more than 1-2 weeks you should ask for the SR (Slow Release) version which is much kinder and only a little more expensive

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was on 40mg of Gliclazide a day and the nurse wants me to take (after a build up of 4 weeks) 2000mg a day.

The drugs act in completely different ways.

Gliclazide increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas and helps the body use insulin more efficiently.

The primary effect of taking metformin is that this release of glucose from the liver is lessened, resulting in lower blood sugars. Metformin also works to lower blood sugar in two secondary ways: by increasing your sensitivity to insulin and decreasing the amount of glucose that is absorbed from the food you eat. Metformin is usually the first drug prescribed.

The difference in "how much" is irrelevant. As has been mentioned it's worth seeing how you tolerate it and there's always the sustained release to try. All the best.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wonder why you were on Gliclazide anyway as this drug to stimulates your pancreas when it is failing; perhaps they thought yours was failing? Metformin is completely different. It mainly reduces the liver's glucose output. The drug only ever has a small effect on blood sugar and most are on up to 2000mg per day. What the nurse should have told you is that if you have bowel issues for more than 1-2 weeks you should ask for the SR (Slow Release) version which is much kinder and only a little more expensive

The nurse said I was put on Gliclazide to bring my HbA1c down as it was high(78, not as high as others on here). The year before at my ‘wellwoman’ check my HbA1c was 54 and I was told normal reading and in my records it says ‘no further action needed’ I can now access this online so can now check myself which is why I am asking about Metformin.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The drugs act in completely different ways.

Gliclazide increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas and helps the body use insulin more efficiently.

The primary effect of taking metformin is that this release of glucose from the liver is lessened, resulting in lower blood sugars. Metformin also works to lower blood sugar in two secondary ways: by increasing your sensitivity to insulin and decreasing the amount of glucose that is absorbed from the food you eat. Metformin is usually the first drug prescribed.

The difference in "how much" is irrelevant. As has been mentioned it's worth seeing how you tolerate it and there's always the sustained release to try. All the best.

Thank you, I am glad someone can explain the differences of these drugs.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thank you,
You're welcome, both drugs have caused me issues over the last twenty years, I had to see what they did. Gliclazide not only halted my weight loss (too much of a coincidence), I put weight back on, you'd think that wouldn't happen when you're not eating more.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You're welcome, both drugs have caused me issues over the last twenty years, I had to see what they did. Gliclazide not only halted my weight loss (too much of a coincidence), I put weight back on, you'd think that wouldn't happen when you're not eating more.

I lost weight (1 stone) whilst on Gliclazide but also have cut out pasta rice and white bread completely, so that might be the cause.

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been back to my surgery today as I have been having a hypo a day for 5 days now. The nurse wants me to come off Gliclazide 40mg and go on Metformin starting off with 2 tablets a day and building up to 4 a day. My last HbA1c was on 12/10/17 and was 37. Am I wrong in thinking do I need this and can I cope without the Metformin as my diet is lchf?

With HbA1c at 37 I don't see why you cannot cope without Metformin. It is not a wonder drug...some swear by it...others swear at it...

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have started taking it now and two days in, stomach cramps, nausea, constipation to diarrhoea in a few hours so maybe I won’t be on it for long.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started taking it now and two days in, stomach cramps, nausea, constipation to diarrhoea in a few hours so maybe I won’t be on it for long.
Stick with it, I had that to begin with, it only lasted the first week though, so you may still be ok