New member with 60 experience of Type 1

Just introducing myself. Live in lovely part of Co. Durham where I have mostly lived all my life.
I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 4 years old and a year ago was diagnosed with Coeliac disease. This has been the worst year of my life controlling blood sugars has gone out of the window when before I was very well organised, could do almost what I liked as I was very secure with my insulin (6 times a day with two long doses one in the morning and one in the evening with short term insulin before meals) I now have totally no control of blood sugars, the coeliac food does not allow for balance as it is full of sugar and fat and that is very, very bad for anyone never mind a short diabetic with a large work load and a husband and mother who both require nursing.
So if anyone else has similar problems, please get in touch, Type 1 coeliacs are short on the ground around here, I am the only one in the surgery where my diabetic nurse works and she is brilliant.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi Carroll,

Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time of it, but you may just have found exactly the right place to be.

As I understand it one of the suggested diets for Coeliacs is a 'paleo' diet' i.e. no wheat grain, lots of green vegetables, lots of meat and fish and so on. Have a look at that. Search out Borofergie's posts on this as he is the most active and keen paleo dieter here.

Don't worry about fat - have a search on here about that and you will see that many of us hold natural fats to be the best thing for us to eat and don't worry; there is no strong evidence that they cause any problems at all.

I don't do paleo as such but operate on a low carb diet (with about 20-30 carbs a day) and there are many of us here who have found this approach is without a doubt the best way of dealing with diabetes and all of its associated problems.

There's a lot to take in and you have to get your head around the fact that what is often suggested here completely contradicts the standard NHS advice on diet, but that's the strange world we are in.

Best

Dillinger

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Carroll and welcome to the forum :)

I hope some members can come up with some helpful information and share their experiences with you. In turn I expect you will share your knowledge of diabetes with everyone here.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Carroll and welcome

I was diagnosed with coeliac disease almost 2 years ago and had terrible trouble with BGs. I've found the best way to control them is to reduce carbs - I usually try and limit carbs to about 100grams/day. I've tried going lower but I get flu-like symptoms.

The only coeliac food I use is Genius bread, which I get on prescription, otherwise I avoid anything that's not naturally gluten-free.

Robert

hi everyone i am from scotland and have just got out off hospital due to being ill for a week or 2 ....my wife noticed i had been lossing weight ..dry mouth ,,drinking lots ...and passing urine ,,,,when i got took in hospital i was told type one diabetic from now ,,,i feel a little bit down regrds to this i am now on insulin and i have been told its a lot to take in does anyone know if i will gey out off this down side mood ....and can anyone answer if my job is suitable for my health ......soon as you get in a routine with the needles etc is it straight forward from there ,,,,,,i am worried ?????? my job window cleaner .....thank you for any support or advice ,,,,,i am 36 years old off slim build ....

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Like Dillinger says, I think that grains are probably bad for almost everyone, and I try to exclude anything that is derived from grains or seeds from my diet (apart from the very, very, occaisional beer).

Here is the prescription that I follow:
http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

If you're interested in Paleo, I really recommend Robb Wolf's "Paleo Solution" book, which is both funny and informative, and will tell you why grains are bad for you, and why animal fat is good for you.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dundeeunitedfc and Carroll :wave:

Dundee, Borofergies' reply was for Carroll, if you click on 'NEW TOPIC' at the top of this sub-forum, you'll be able to start a new post for yourself. That way you'll get replies that are more suitable for yourself.

We've all been terrified when first diagnosed, there is sooo much to understand. There are lots of type 1's on the forum that can answer you questions, so fire away. It soon gets easier as we can explain things to you, it makes a lot more sense when explained by somebody who lives with diabetes!

Ann

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Welcome to the forum Carroll (and dundeeunitedfc)! Sounds like you've really got your hands full with looking after everyone, I bet you don't get much time for yourself :(