Doddymanu

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rain
Hi my name is Doddy and have been prescribed with pre diabetes,any help would be most grateful,cheers

Reactions: MissMuffett

Paul41

Hi Doddy welcome.
I thought I’d answer but you will get some absolutely fabulous help and encouragement on this site.

I guess a good start is to just look around the forum.

That’s what I did ( I found out I was pre diabetic last July) and form a plan. Many go for a low carb approach and I’ve found it to be easy to adapt to and effective.

The one thing I learnt that I think was invaluable and that is testing. By doing this it’s possible to find which foods you can or can’t eat or even portion sizing.

Good luck

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome @Doddymanu You've come to the right place, lots of support and very friendly. Settle down with a cuppa and have good look round

Doddymanu

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rain
Hi and welcome @Doddymanu You've come to the right place, lots of support and very friendly. Settle down with a cuppa and have good look round
Cheers, will do tomorrow, just downloaded the recipes for low carbs, so will have to go shopping , quick one, what's the best cereal and best milk

• Winner

Doddymanu

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rain
Hi Doddy welcome.
I thought I’d answer but you will get some absolutely fabulous help and encouragement on this site.

That’s what I did ( I found out I was pre diabetic last July) and form a plan. Many go for a low carb approach and I’ve found it to be easy to adapt to and effective.

The one thing I learnt that I think was invaluable and that is testing. By doing this it’s possible to find which foods you can or can’t eat or even portion sizing.

Good luck
Hi how do you get to test regularly without going to doctors

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers, will do tomorrow, just downloaded the recipes for low carbs, so will have to go shopping , quick one, what's the best cereal and best milk
No cereal is good unfortunately it’s all bad. I use almond milk and double cream as these have little or no no carbs. Bacon eggs, cheese, if you can tolerate dairy are a good alternative to cereal

Doddymanu

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rain
No cereal is good unfortunately it’s all bad. I use almond milk and double cream as these have little or no no carbs. Bacon eggs, cheese, if you can tolerate dairy are a good alternative to cereal
Okay cheers

Doddymanu

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rain
Hi Doddy welcome.

Good luck
Thanks Paul
What is the best testing kit

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Doddymanu and welcome to the forum, here’s some info with links for UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: Paul41

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. You'll find all cereals, being grains, are high carb items usually somewhere around 60% carb by weight. I don't eat anything like that at all.

Milk - I don't use a great deal of milk (double cream instead) but we have the full fat. More fat in the milk generally equals less carbs (in the form of lactose).

Paul41

Hi how do you get to test regularly without going to doctors

It’s a different type of test .
Basically the one at the doctors gives an average of your BG over approximately 3 months.
Testing at home is by finger prick testing ( you can buy at boots, Argos , Tesco and anywhere)
There is an accepted way and time for testing and it basically shows how well you react to carbs etc.

BTW you might like to reconsider cereals , many are very carby.

Paul41

Thanks Paul
What is the best testing kit

I think they are all much of a much.
I’ve got an accutest from boots it’s fine.
I guess as far as advice is concerned you will be using a few of the consumables so it’s best to look at those costs as well .
BTW read what this testing entails. At first you need to log what you eat and what your readings are but within weeks you’ll have a handle on it.

My diet is generally foods that do not spike my BG so I don’t routinely test any more .

Good luck