New Meter From Gp?

vmhall93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Im hoping you can help. I have been T1 for 7 years and when first diagnosed i was given accu meter for my readings, i didnt know anything else so took it and off i went. However 18months late i was approached by Countour next and found their “equipment” alot easier to handle and have stuck with them ever since. They look after me well and always send me a new meter when there has been a software update, which once a year roughly. Anyhow i received a letter from my GP telling(!) me they have changed my prescription to accu mobile and that i have to make an appointment woth my gp to get my new meter. Now this really miffed me off and i let them know about it!! Surely they cannot just change my prescription without consent or checking with me?! I told them this is quite a personal thing and im happy with my meter that is synced up to my mobile so i am not happy that you have changed this. They said its just a quick appointment to discuss and that i should bring my previous meter to look at my readings. Turns out they only have slots middle of the day and i am not taking time off work to sort something that doesnt need changing! She said she will see what they say....
Can they do this? It seems rather unreasonable? Has anybody else had this letter?
I know it seems silly that it has wound me up but im hoping that others in the T1 family get that this is personal and specific to each person? If im testing at least 5 times a day then we should be happy right?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know at some point my test strips were all changed round because 'oh you haven't been on a carb counting course so you cant have the more expensive strips and there's no way of getting round this rule' - and at that point in time having just started a new job I couldn't suddenly ask for 4-5 days off to do that (and after 35ish years of being diabetic at the time I figured I could carb count without going on a course :)).

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have met this problem a couple of times, the second time I went to see the Dr himself and explained to him it's a matter of trust.......I trust my meter with my life........we inject what would be poison to others to keep us alive on a daily basis, and I have to trust my meter to tell me what my bs levels are so that when I inject I'm not in danger of overdosing.
He said my meter was over 10 years old and needed to be replaced, I countered with I already had a new meter from the same company and was happy with that.......at which point he gave in and I've not been bothered since.

Reactions: SimonCrox

SimonCrox

To me, it seems unreasonable for your general practice to switch your meter (that works well for you) for something else, particularly without discussion. Also to demand that you take time off work seems unreasonable, also.
I have given out lots of contour meters since they are easy, accurate and similar costs to other systems; the only time I suggested something else was the accu check mobile cos it keeps the strips in a cartridge in the meter, but these strip cartridges were more expensive.
At times, general practices are pushed by whoever pays fpr care (LAHA, PCT, CCG etc) to use something that is either less expensive anyway or cos they jave a special deal with the manufacturer.
But on the whlole, test strips all cost much the same, cos if more expensive, they will not get prescribed. Costs are here:-

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medical-device-type/blood-glucose-testing-strips-2.html

I would do as you have done, stating that you are doing well with the meter and can see no reason to change. Often helpful to point out that whatever they give you, will not work better, and if it leads to problems, a trip to the emergency dept with a hypo costs about £2,000; actually not sure if this figure is correct, but probably not far out

Reactions: vmhall93
D

Deleted Account

I would suggest it is worth finding out why he wants to change your meter.
It may because he has no record of a new meter for 10 years and wants to upgrade you.
It may be because the Contour strips are more expensive.

Prepare your arguments for both reasons.

Reactions: SimonCrox

vmhall93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you guys, you all make valid points and i really apreciate you taking the time out to assure me. I am currently waiting for the receptionist to call me back after i firmly said i cannot make it for the lunch time appointments. Fingers crossed that is the end of it but it was complete shock that letter said they have already changed my prescription and i must make an appointment to collect my meter. I didnt like to think this was purely to benefit the pharmacy for cutting a manufacturing deal a cheaper rate, but it seems that way? :(