New pump to choose - how safe is bluetooth on your body?

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I have had AccuChek pumps for the last 16 years and it is time for a new pump. I have diabetes type 1 for 40 years now, pretty much of personal experienciece, eating low card, with a Hb1Ac of approx. 53 and have not felt the need or advantage to use pump features like bolus calculators. I mainly use the standard functions like quick or wave bolus, temporary basal. In choosing a new pump I am confronted with the fact that most pumps use a bluetooth connection. I have resisted to use bluetooth so far and manage my pump directly by hand without the remote control and without app via smartphone. I prefer to keep it that way because I have not found any reliable scientific research information stating that long time use of bluetooth is safe healthwise. Especially when directly in contact with the body. Wanting to take all aspects of a new pump in careful consideration, I would be happy to hear of experienced pump-with-bluetooth-users if they notice(d) any effects on their health from the use of bluetooth. Or simply what your thoughts are about the safety/danger. Is your feeling one of trust? How does using bluetooth for your pump impact your quality of life? I look forward to hearing from you!

Rianne

M

Member496333

My rudimentary understanding is that the universe is already saturated with radio waves, so anything we use that leverages them has no effect on human health. But that said, I don’t know anything about the wave lengths of Bluetooth or what not. Personally I wouldn’t be worried, but then science is the pursuit of disproving what we think we know...

Reactions: Rianne

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I don't have a pump I am currently using an add-on device with my Libre which uses Bluetooth to communicate constantly throughout the day with my phone.

Bluetooth is fairly ubiquitous nowadays and runs on the same frequency band (2.4GHz) as a lot of legacy WiFi equipment (most WiFi equipment nowadays can utilise either 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands), wireless telephones and even some micrwaves. It's a form of non-ionising radiation which is classed as extremely low power (taking the microwave example on the same band you would need to connect literally thousands of Bluetooth devices to your skin which are transmitting to equate to 1 solitary microwave).

There has been no proof to date that any type of Bluetooth technology has been the cause of any form of cell modification or damage.

I was recently attending an event at a place in London which was absolutely swamped with transmissions from Bluetooth and WiFi devices (we're talking in the thousands if not tens of thousands of devices ranging from TVs, laptops, mobile phones and other assorted devices) - somehow my Libre transmitter managed to stay connected 95% of the time despite the channels being absolutely saturated. The couple of times I did have to reset and re-pair it again I was scrolling down the list of devices in xDrip to find it again quite a lot.

TL;DR - Bluetooth is perfectly safe and ubiquitously used in the world around you.

Reactions: Rianne and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Rianne I use bluetooth with my pump and have no concerns whatsoever in using this.

A quick google search has also revealed nothing concerning either, as it's in such wide use then I think if there were any issues then it would be public knowledge by now.

D

Deleted Account

My current pump has no Blutooth connection which means it must be on display at any time when I may want to give myself a bolus ... which is most of the time. I find this very frustrating as it means my diabetes is on display at all times.
However, for the last 3 years I have worn a fitbit equivalent which communicates with my phone via Blutooth and experienced absolutely no health issues apart from type 1 diabetes. That is no health issues at all ... not just no health issues associated with Blutooth.
Therefore, I would have no concerns about having a Blutooth controlled pump which, coincidentally, is what I am looking at.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Jim, for your thoughts. I know, I tried to find out if going off WIFI in my home would be an option, but I have too many neighbours...... ;-). I love your socratic last sentence :).

Last edited:

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, db89, for your extensive reply with explanations and thoughts, and your experience with the Libe during the event you attended. It is very helpful to make up my mind. To sort out if my worry is unneccessary and a hinder in choosing the best treatment possibilities. I find it a real hard dilemma because I often doubt research results. I do not know who paid for the research. Experience from independent (for as far as possible) humans gives the most valuable information for me. Thanks!

gracopp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am about to start insulin pump therapy and I have been given 3 choices, I am just wondering what people thoughts are on the following:
The Omnipod
The Dana RS
Medtronic - minimed 640g

I'm just looking for people personally opinions or problems they have had with these, also this will help me make my final choice. I did have the Cellnovo until the company decided to close etc.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am about to start insulin pump therapy and I have been given 3 choices, I am just wondering what people thoughts are on the following:
The Omnipod
The Dana RS
Medtronic - minimed 640g

I'm just looking for people personally opinions or problems they have had with these, also this will help me make my final choice. I did have the Cellnovo until the company decided to close etc.

Probably best to start a new thread for this ;-)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using BT for years, pumps, CGM's, mobile phones, head phones, ear pieces............. and have had no issues (that I'm aware of). Emergency services around the world also use BT products connected to their radio's and they would not allow it if they thought the users were going to sue them in the future.