1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Regs

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by TonyTruthful, Feb 25, 2013.

1. glenmoray

glenmoray · Well-Known Member

I've been diabetic type 1 since 1977 so have renewed my driving licence over 13 times and have never had to supply 3 months worth of blood tests. All I have had to do is sign a form to allow DVLA to contact my hospital and Doctor. All I say is I always test my sugar levels when driving and never drive if my blood sugars fall below 4,5 mmol. You do the same as us all and you will never have a problem .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Diddly

Diddly Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, the dvla stance is that your bloods must be at least 5 to drive, no lower.

3. garythegob

garythegob · Well-Known Member

i drive for a living, not hgv but normal cars, i am a computer field engineer, live in Plymouth, and can cover anything up to 500 miles a day, i test before i start off, and every 2 hours, have only ever had 1 hypo in the 12 years i have been diagnosed as type 2, and that was at night, due to me not eating after taking byetta and going to bed, bg was measured at 1.3mmol i think it was! i have always been told DO NOT DRIVE UNDER 5, i also believe that because i am not taking insulin i do not have to inform dvla, is that correct?

4. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

Depends, any medication that has the potential to cause a hypo ( Gliclazide for instance ) then you must inform DVLA.

5. garythegob

i am on metformin, Gliclazide, aspirin, atorvastatin, ramipril, clopidogrel, bisoprolol, and byetta injection!

6. Diddly

Diddly Type 1 · Well-Known Member

7. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gary, you would have to inform dvla as you are on them meds, if you don't your insurance would be invalid. Also tell your insurance, there should be no extra charge from them.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

8. garythegob

so, according to this link, i do not have to inform dvla

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook