New Scientific approach to Type 11 Diabetes?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone seen this article - https://www.theguardian.com/society...treatment-could-end-daily-insulin-injections?

I've just found it in today's Guardian and, although the scientific idea sounds like they might be making a break-through, I didn't like reading

"Type 1 diabetes is where the level of sugar in the blood is too high because the pancreas does not produce insulin.

Those with type 2 diabetes are not producing enough insulin. The impact can be controlled by changes to diet, but it is a progressive disease. Most people will need to take tablets or inject insulin after living with it for five to 10 years."

Umm, a bit wrong, me thinks! What do you guys & gals feel?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone seen this article - https://www.theguardian.com/society...treatment-could-end-daily-insulin-injections?

I've just found it in today's Guardian and, although the scientific idea sounds like they might be making a break-through, I didn't like reading

"Type 1 diabetes is where the level of sugar in the blood is too high because the pancreas does not produce insulin.

Those with type 2 diabetes are not producing enough insulin. The impact can be controlled by changes to diet, but it is a progressive disease. Most people will need to take tablets or inject insulin after living with it for five to 10 years."

Umm, a bit wrong, me thinks! What do you guys & gals feel?

The news broke here this morning, and the newspaper spoke about one of the people in the trial. It was an elderly man who was deathly afraid of needles and was absolutely desperate to avoid insulin. I'm thinking, if someone'd bothered to tell him about LCHF or Keto, he would've jumped right on it. It's a matter of people just not knowing what their options are, and then, yeah, it is a progressive disease, accompanied by a lethal dose of misinformation from papers and doctors alike, as in the quote above.

Just another new, expensive treatment, (while just this week a hospital had to close the ER doors because the money ran out) while the answer for so many people -not all, but many- is so insanely easy. The other day there was another newspaper where a wife sent in a letter about her husband's T2 and how saying making a lifestyle change makes it sound like it was his fault to begin with. Aaaargh. No, the lifestyle change is nessecary because we can't handle carbs *anymore*. Something changed along the way making us different from other people, thus making the change nessecary. Maddening, really. So now we don't get to say it's easily solved because it's politically incorrect or insensitive?

Whatever. I already cancelled my membership with the Dutch diabetic association because they kept peddling good carbs in stupid amounts, even for non-diabetics. So very tired of all the bull...

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Such a shame the wrong information is still being given. I agree, @JoKalsbeek , about expensive treatment when change in diet would certainly make a difference. Scandelous really, that Low carbs aren't promoted more widely through the NHS, rather than saying it's a progressive disease and keep upping the meds!!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm inactive fairly ancient OAP who's been low carbing since diagnosis five years ago come the end of next month, and I believe I'm progressing very nicely thank you, but definitely not down the route to requiring insulin any time in the near future... (which I'm currently overproducing in abundance).

But seriously I fail to understand why we are told to eat carbs, when it's perfectly well known what they can do to our glucose levels, and low carb diets have been used previously - since well over a century ago - as a tried and tested means of diabetic management. :banghead::banghead:

From what I understand \results this new breakthrough treatment just last about a year, and my low carbing has done me proud for five times as long, so while it may well help some people, I'm sticking with what's working long term for me without having to have my guts boiled alive :eek: - possibly on an annual basis....

Robbity

Anglo_dude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GPs who say blood testing is irrelevent
I think this new approach could radically alter the treatment of T2 diabetes.

Having read the article they are saying it's a way to reset the bodies interaction with Carbs by removing the mucus layer in the small intestine therefore forcing it to be rebuilt but without the Insulin resistance.

I would say this, coupled with a long term low carb (but not nil) diet could be a long term solution.

I've approached the clinicians to see if I can be signed up for the extended trial as it would be nice to have a little bit more freedom with regards to carbs. Whilst I would never go back to my 3 heavy carb meals a day (cereals, sandwiches and pasta/rice typically) it would be nice to not have tablets or have to think too much about carbs etc.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Originally read this as a cure for type eleven!
Whilst we know low carb works for many type 2s, it is still good to understand more about the mechanisms of insulin resistance that this trial may have shone a light on. However I don't think a year of stable sugrs are enough time to consider this a permanent reversal given the 10-15 year process that results in a type 2 diagnosis and it is unaffordable madness to only focus on chemicals and/or surgery as a cure ahead of lifestyle change aka Let Food Be Thy Medicine.