1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New - Supporting Hubby...

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Debs71, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Debs71

Debs71 Type 2 · Member

Hi,
    Just want to introduce myself to the community.

My name is Debbie, i've decided to join the diabetes community as i have been watching my hubby Daks for some weeks now, posting, reading, and gathering information with regards to his diabetes. ( but i must mention that i'm not diabetic) but just wanted to be nosy and have a look around the site, you all seem very friendly, and welcoming and have helped my hubby tremendously with his type 2 diabetes. Hopefully i will get the same response and help with regards to the LCHF in which i'm currently doing with him.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Daks

Daks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Her Indoors ^

#2 Daks, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
  3. daddys1

daddys1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well welcome to @Debs71 alias 'her indoors' & @Daks nice to see you have the support of your partner.

My wife has really liked the LCHF diet and although she may have a little more carbs than me she has enjoyed having the extra veg the fish, eating the fat on Lamb & Pork. She has struggled a little maintaining her ideal weight but since doing the LCHF has found it much easier.
    Good Luck the pair of you.

Neil

• Like Like x 3
  4. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Good for you.

Aside from diet and testing, the most powerful tool I had in my armoury when I started my diabetes journey almost 18 months ago was a supportive OH. He's still just as much there as he ever was. We made a promise to continue to always dine together, on the same menu, although he sometimes has additional items I pass on. It makes staying on track so much easier, and whilst I trimmed up, he did the same. Mwhilst always slim, we are both now very slight, and fitter than we were.

Days is a lucky man to have someone who wants to be properly engaged in his life and learning about his new condition.

One thing my OH would just not do though was to be tested. I would have loved to be able to,run comparative tests between myself as a diabetic, and him as a non-diabetic when eating certain foods. But, he just wouldn't, and I had to (reluctantly) accept that.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. This site is, I believe, for anyone impacted by diabetes, as you inevitably are.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Debs71

Debs71 Type 2 · Member

Thanks Neil, like your wife I'm not low carbing as much as Daks but have cut my carbs dramatically have lost 10lbs and am feeling great.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Debs71

Debs71 Type 2 · Member

He certainly is!

Thank you AndBreathe x

• Like Like x 4
  7. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Welcome, you have come to a great place. Joining forces with your husband is great and surely the VERY best way to deal with the issues.

Yeah, and I almost forgot to say "lucky man", knows which side of his bread is buttered on, well no bread now, but you will understand my meaning.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi and welcome. My wife has also been low-carbing for the last year with dramatic results and is now almost as slim as when we married over 40 years ago. She, like you, isn't diabetic.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daks

Daks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for making her feel welcome folks, she will be an asset to the community.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook