New T2 diagnoses!

g.kleinhans

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I’m new here. I’ve just been told I am T2 and need to manage it with losing weight and lifestyle change but my question is I haven’t actually had my results that I can read all I’ve been told is my hba1c is 9.6 but there’s no other information. I’m assuming it’s in the context of 4-7 but I really don’t know. Is anyone able to help please? Thanks x

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately that reading is rather confusing. Hba1c is expressed as mmol/mol. diabetic being above 47. Finger prick test, ie current level, are mmol/l, normal being about 4 - 6, with a single test of 11+ being a possible diagnosis, but greater than 8.7 being probably diabetic. Or it could be 9.6%, the older way of reporting, which equates to an Hba1c of 81.
Either way, without more info it is rather hard to comment, aren't medics a pain when not clear.

Reactions: 0110

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An HbA1c of 9.6 is probably the older unit of measurement which is a %. My GP always still uses the %!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
So the older unit would be between 4 and 7, is that correct?
No - I have no idea where you get 4 and 7 from regarding HbA1C.
It is true that the normal fasting range for a finger-prick Blood Glucose test (using a Blood Glucose monitor - not a lab test of a blood sample) may be said to be be between 4 and 7 mmol, but this is a completely different test.
If your 9.2 is a fasting Blood Glucose test result, then it is a bit high, but less meaningful as a single stand alone test.
It isn't as bad as an HbA1C of 9.2% is!

It's important to know what the thing was that was being measured - not just what the number was.

My own fasting Blood Glucose ranges from about 6.5 to 7.8 mmol and I have been in remission for nearly 3 years.

Reactions: Nixterjoe