New tablet due out in May

izzy

Hi all! We have heard that there is a new tablet due out in May for use in T2 diabetes. One of its side effects is weight loss which is why(so I'm told) there is a keeness for its use. My OH is due back to diabetic clinic in May and he would like to ask about this drug and possibly try it.Unfortunately he cannot remember what its called. Do you have any Idea and maybe a bit more info on it please?

izzy

Thank you, you have been most helpful. Iwas suprised to note that its a daily injection as we were led to believe it was a tablet.Still....its not a problem.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
izzy said:
Thank you, you have been most helpful. Iwas suprised to note that its a daily injection as we were led to believe it was a tablet.Still....its not a problem.

Izzy.
There is a tablet version of Victoza in the pipeline but as far as I am aware it is still in the Trial stage as we haven't seen an official announcement yet ? If anybody has a link to the information about it it would be useful if they could post it in the Victoza thread........

Last info I saw about it was from 2010, link here........that was before the trial was to begin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z0diUYdWgt

A pill that can boost the body's own insulin production could banish daily jabs for millions of people with diabetes.

The drug is about to be tested on 155 British patients as part of a trial that could transform treatment of the disease. It is an oral form of Victoza, a medicine already approved for use in diabetes, which 'turbo-charges' insulin production in the pancreas, the organ responsible for making the hormone.

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was wondering if this would be available in Canada so did a search and it looks like the injection will be available in May here too. The article I read did mention that it would be prescribed in conjunction with metformin. Not sure how to properly add a link to the site I was looking at so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by quoting this:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201005 ... betes.aspx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
No problem posting that link CC.....I have edited it so that goes to the first page now ....... :wink:

I am surprised it has taken so long for the injectable Drug to be cleared in Canada as it has been in use here for some time now. Many Member's are getting good results but it does need Lifestyle changes to make it work more efficiently.

Here there is a criteria for it's prescribing which is a BMI of 35 or over, being on at least max doses of 2 anti-Diabetic Drugs and Bg levels still out of control. However, some Consultant's/GP's regularly ignore the guidelines. It is not supposed to be used with Insulin but yet again, it is being used by some 'off licence'. That should be discussed beforehand. I wonder will they have a similar criteria where you are ?

There is a growing thread about VIctoza in the 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' section. We try to encourage Member's with questions about Victoza to post there. It is building up to a good resource for users and those seeking information. :) The more people post there the better.......

Here is a link........

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9281#p87369

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - I'll go to that link and further educate myself :D