New to all this - just learned importance of not missing meals!

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only diagnosed as type 2 about 3 weeks ago. Was on Glyclaside for a couple of weeks to bring BG down from 18.5mMol/. Hb1Ac was 125.
Now on Metformin as levels pretty much in the normal range.
Had my breakfast (porridge) at 6:30 am. Then got involved in some work and realised it was 14:30 and whilst I had drunk water, I had not eaten. Took my BG and was 6.1 mMol/. I ate 3 slices of granary, with some peanut butter. Felt tired and fell asleep. Woke up and redid my BG 2 hours post meal and was up at 10.4 (normally around 8 post meal). Took metformin and 1 hour later was 5.8. I guess delaying lunch meant my liver was chucking out loads of glucose in "error".
Any logic in my thinking?

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a lot of carbs in granary bread (well any bread) so unless you have checked before and bread does not cause your blood sugar to spike i'd say 3 slices of bread was the cause. Especially if you felt tired after eating it as that for me is a sure sign I've eaten too many carbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @seadragon

Plus it may be worth bearing in mind that while it is good to take your metformin at the same time as food (kinder to the stomach), metformin does not work to reduce meal peaks.

It works in a different way, reducing your blood glucose a bit, all the time.

The only way to avoid blood glucose spiking from meals is to avoid the foods that cause the spikes - which may well have been the bread. I spike from one slice. 3 slices would have sent me a lot higher than 10 :)

I also agree that the feeling of drowsiness is a very good guide that you have overloaded on carbs.

Hope that helps.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also many people use intermittent fasting (missing meals - often breakfast) as a way to help reduce their blood sugar. It's true that some people get the 'dawn phenomenon' where blood sugar is highest in the morning but it doesn't occur just with having a meal a couple of hours late.
Have a look at dietdoctor.com website for some very useful easy to understand info on diet and take a look at the links to the work of Dr Jason Fung who encourages intermittent fasting for diabetics. If you go down the route of low carb high fat diet you will often find you can miss meals as the fat fills you up so much more.
Have you had the info from @daisy1
If not, do have a read when she posts it as it gives you some good info on the basics of diabetes.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@plutoniumcard

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information, mentioned above, which we give to new members and I hope this will help you. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help. Restrict carby foods as much as possible and this will help reduce the spikes.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@plutoniumcard

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information, mentioned above, which we give to new members and I hope this will help you. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help. Restrict carby foods as much as possible and this will help reduce the spikes.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic
Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Thanks all that is helpful. Bread is definitely a "spike" for me...two slices is now a maximum for me (wholegrain).

I also found that 35g porridge made with skimmed milk was an issue. I am fairly sure it is the lactose in the milk that pushes me over the top. I have started making it with low-carb almond milk and levels post breakfast stay below 8.5mMol.

Cheers

Tony

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 slices of bread would also knock me out and raise my glucose levels into double figures, so I agree that they're the most likely culprits.

If you were getting a liver dump due to missing a meal, then I think you'd have seen it before you ate not after.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all that is helpful. Bread is definitely a "spike" for me...two slices is now a maximum for me (wholegrain).

I also found that 35g porridge made with skimmed milk was an issue. I am fairly sure it is the lactose in the milk that pushes me over the top. I have started making it with low-carb almond milk and levels post breakfast stay below 8.5mMol.

Cheers

Tony
I think it was rather the carbs in the porridge than those in the milk.. Can't you try a couple of eggs and bacon instead and see what that does to your blood sugars as well as to your taste buds...would help to cut out the bread too ..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Luckily I can tolerate carbs in small amounts.