New to Diabetes Advice Required

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2021, this was after a heart attack. I was also diagnosed with high cholesterol & high BP and had a Stent fitted.

I am now on a low carb diet. Was on metformin but this was stopped because of constant diarrhoea.

My total cholesterol is now 2.9 I have gone from 11st 6lbs to 10st.

My HBA1C was 72 but is due to be checked the end of this month.

My BM was 12.4 in August.

I do a fasting glucose test every morning. Results between 4.5 & 7.6 but mostly 6.1

Is a fasting test the best one to do? Or should I be testing before and after meals? And if so, what results should I be looking for?

Any advice would be great thanks.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2021, this was after a heart attack. I was also diagnosed with high cholesterol & high BP and had a Stent fitted.

I am now on a low carb diet. Was on metformin but this was stopped because of constant diarrhoea.

My total cholesterol is now 2.9 I have gone from 11st 6lbs to 10st.

My HBA1C was 72 but is due to be checked the end of this month.

My BM was 12.4 in August.

I do a fasting glucose test every morning. Results between 4.5 & 7.6 but mostly 6.1

Is a fasting test the best one to do? Or should I be testing before and after meals? And if so, what results should I be looking for?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

This page explains NICE recommended glucose levels.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should test before eating and 2 hours after the first bite. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2. The fasting number is the last to come down and can be ignored for now.

Reactions: KidDougi

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's best to largely ignore the fasting tests due to the overnight liver dump.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the achievements so far. As others have said, test before and after meals. The difference gives the impact whatever you ate is having on your blood glucose. Morning readings are generally down to your liver doing what it does - my 6am readings are still usually higher than any others, although much lower than they once were.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My levels seem to be stuck in the 6 ish region. Bit fed up of it now, was hoping that my levels would be getting lower as I have worked so hard to lower them. Perhaps I am being too hard on myself :bored:

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels seem to be stuck in the 6 ish region. Bit fed up of it now, was hoping that my levels would be getting lower as I have worked so hard to lower them. Perhaps I am being too hard on myself :bored:
Its a marathon rather than a sprint ... being hard on yourself wont help ... just keep working at it and if you have them look back at some of your early readings for the progress you will have made :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could have typed those exact same words. (Hugs)
Just remember that many other things affect bg too - sleep, medication, stress, among others. Being in the 6s is still a good level.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found I had a series of plateaus, but every time once I moved on to the next reading, it was lower. Hold your nerve!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Thank you all guys it really does mean a lot to have support and encouragement, especially in times of tearing my hair out! It was a 6.2 again this morning - I just have to remain positive. It took me a while to get the lower 6 region so hopefully it wont be too long before it drops a wee bit more :)