New to Insulin pump?

lalacakez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that getting an insulin pump is better then a pen but there are so many name brands and different types what's a good pump to get I like swimming and working out will it be water proof or do I have to take it out is the needle to long how do you take it off does it leave marks how do you sleep with it on do you wake up in the middle of the night extremely low does it give you insulin automatically or do you have to push bottons to give you the insulin is it complicated to use or is it easy what are the pros and cons of owning one and is it easy to break is it expensive would you recommend a pump or just the simple old fashion needle shot/pens ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you actually been told this by your consultant or DSN? If your consultant thinks you are suitable for a pump the choice will be limited by what pumps are supported by your hospital pump clinic.

Whether it's water proof or not depends on the pump. The Medtronic 640 is. the Animas vibe might be? For not waterproof pumps you disconnect - you don't take out the cannula you just disconnect the tubing feeding insulin into the cannula and, if I were getting in a pool I'd put a stopper connector on to close the cannula.

Cannulas are inserted by various mechanisms with various needle lengths. Some pumps have more choices than others.

You take it off by pulling the cannula out. It's just ripping off a plaster. Occasionally there might be little bumps/scars for a day or two after taking a cannula out. You deal with this by good site rotation, changing cannula sites every 3 days.

You just sleep with it. You could get a pump belt or tuck it in pj pocket or just let it follow you round the bed.

Why would a pump wake you if you were extremely low? A pump just delivers insulin. They don't monitor your blood sugar unless you are also wearing a continuous glucose monitor. If your basal rate is set correctly on your pump you shouldn't be waking extremely low.

The pump automatically delivers your basal insulin. You need to press buttons to deliver bolus insulin. There are automatic "artificial pancreases" being developed with Medtronic 670 launched in the us and Oxford workin on algorithms to automate the 640.

Pumps need a bit off training and a bit of understanding to use. John Walsh's book "pumping insulin" is a good user guide to understand how pumps work.

Pumps are expensive, around £3,000 +. They aren't easy to break and most are warranted for 4years. It's unusual for pumps to be self funded in the uk because they won't be sold to you unless you are going to be under the care of a HCP teaching you how to use it, and if your NHS pump clinic is going to do that they might as well just pay for the pump. It is recommended that insulin pumps are insured and even if you're an NHS patient with a funded pump it's your reponsibiity to insure it, this can be covered by content insurance or special insulin pump insurance for about £7 a month.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @lalacakez I use the Medtronic 640g and although waterproof, I still take it off for swimming as I tend to run low during swimming and also don't wish to wear it while I swim, i always correct after swimming if required, however using a pump means you can adjust the basal rate to cope with exercise.

Using a pump means putting the effort in at the start to adjust and review for a month or so, it's only as good as the input you apply it's not a magic wand, they are extremely effective for tighter control if you're prepared to put the effort in.

Benefits for me are better control/HbA1c, using the pump makes it easier for me to exercise as well as cope with high fat/takeway meals, also less frequent/severe hypos too. If you get the opportunity then go for it, but do get yourself a copy as suggested by Catapillar of 'pumping insulin', it's a good book to get the most out of using the pump.

Reactions: lalacakez