New to intermittent fasting.

bookcook

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Guys, I have some questions about intermittent fasting. I don't understand how one can go for more than 16h. I would like to go for 24h, but I cannot consume more than 1000kcal in one go. How do you advise me to do it? However I can easily skip breakfast and fast for 16h. But is it as effective as 24h fast? In terms of weight loss and in terms of organelle regeneration. Last, what should be the approach in the days I weight train, given that I dont want to lose muscle and ideally I want to build more?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fasting can be done in a number of ways you could eat twice a day in a timewindow of 8 hours and then fast the remaining 16 hours of the day ... many eat only 500 calories pro day when fasting the 5/2 which Means 5 days of regular eating though not overeating and 2 days of fasting 500 calories for women and maybe 700 calories for a man

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you are able to fast for 3 days , you get the maximum benifits from fasting a in the third day the insulin level is reduced to only 1/3 of the very high level that diabetics are troubled with...

I cant fast for 3 days ... so untill yet I only fast 17/7 and eat 1000 calories

but I hope that later I will get strong enough to fast for 3 days in a row maybe once a month

Reactions: kokhongw

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can fast in whatever pattern and length of time you like.

I suggest you read Jason Fung's blog Intensive Dietary Management for comprehensive answers to all your questions - and a lot more that you didn't know you needed to ask.

I strongly suggest that you read up on fasting before you try it. You will find it much easier and less stressful if you do. :)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 common obstacles in prolong fasting is hunger and mental fatigue. This is especially so if you are newly diagnosed T2D.

The simple reason is that our brain is used to high glucose level and will react to the sharp drop in available glucose. It takes a while for our brain to start using ketones. That is where I find spoonful of virgin coconut oil to be helpful...

It fuels the brain and keeps it from fatigue and sending out signals of extreme hunger...