New to site and diabetes

Lynne1964

Hello
My name is Lynne and I been told I have pre-diabetes, I am in shock and never had any symptoms of it so don’t know what to make of it. Can you tell me what to expect because I am just scared to death now. I do not know any thing about diabetes apart from type 1 and Type 2. How can I get my levels down I am 45 on the reading and don’t even know what it means. Can anyone help me please just very scared and don’t want this getting worse. I have been put on a course to learn how to deal with it I think so waiting for them to give me a date. Thank you in advance for the replies xx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the problem is type two then reducing the amount of carbohydrate you are eating should put you back in normal figures - I was fully diabetic at diagnosis and normal in 6 months eating a low carb diet.

Reactions: Divia

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been told you are pre-diabetic, then they have caught it early and you will be monitored.
You have plenty of time to read and learn and adjust your eating habits and lifestyle.
Just take it steady, and don’t panic.

there are many T1s on this forum who have been diabetic for 5 or more decades, and T2s who put their condition into ‘reversal’ to the point that they feel far better than before diagnosis.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
My name is Lynne and I been told I have pre-diabetes, I am in shock and never had any symptoms of it so don’t know what to make of it. Can you tell me what to expect because I am just scared to death now. I do not know any thing about diabetes apart from type 1 and Type 2. How can I get my levels down I am 45 on the reading and don’t even know what it means. Can anyone help me please just very scared and don’t want this getting worse. I have been put on a course to learn how to deal with it I think so waiting for them to give me a date. Thank you in advance for the replies xx
Hello @Lynne1964 ,

Prediabetes is usually a precursor to Type 2. But breathe. It doesn't mean it is an unavoidable fate. All you have to do is learn the basics about the condition: You have a genetic, metabolic disorder that means you can't process glucose. And practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. Still with me? That's it. That's the most elementary bit of all of this. Carbs turn to glucose, you can't process glucose effectively. (Why? Because you make loads of insulin and have become insensitive to it. So it doesn't do its job anymore.) What you want to do now to avoid high numbers? Cut down on carbs, lower your blood sugars that way, and you won't need medication for a loooong time to come, if ever. With a HbA1c of 45 you're just in the prediabetic range (it's 42 to 47, diabetes T2 starts at 48), so you should be able to get your blood sugars back into the normal range right quick with just a few changes.

So relax. You're going to be okay. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is a bit of a quick-start guide. It's basically everything I wish someone'd told me when I was first diagnosed. And if you have questions, throw them out there.

But really. You'll be fine.
Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: Divia

ChrissyW

Just read your blog Jo, great advice, easy to understand. Also I very positive reply to an obviously very worried pre diabetic. Well done. X