New to T2 and forum

RazzF

Hi there,

I’ve recently been diagnosed with T2 diabetes. Well I say recently, but I had a routine blood test back in summer 2020, the nurse told me if there was anything wrong I’d get a call but received no call so figured everything was fine. 9 months later I hadn’t been feeling well and my partner said I should call up about those results. GP called me back and said I was prediabetic with an hba1c of 47 I asked what I should do and he said look it up on google and hung up. I had gestational diabetes about 3 years ago so had a blood glucose meter and knew the drill so instantly went back to the pregnancy diet and started testing. I was concerned as the time lag between the test and result was 9 mo I was instantly very strict on the diet, cutting carbs right back, managed to get my post meal glucose levels under control but my fasting reading was 9+ every morning without fail no matter what. I was successfully on metformin 3x daily while pregnant so asked my GP if I could be placed on that again and he refused and said my hba1c said I’m prediabetic and would not prescribe. When I said my fasting levels were consistently high and my diet was really good he said blood glucose tests don’t count for type 2?!

Anyway, long story short I went to see a private diabetic consultant last week who confirmed I was T2 diabetic and my hba1c is only in prediabetic range because of my strict diet. He’s prescribed me metformin SR 2g a day, and I’m now using a freestyle libre 2 sensor to see what is causing me to spike. I seem to be very carb sensitive, even the tiniest bit sends me souring. He wrote a book with this site (Dr Cavan) and suggested this place was the best to get information so here I am!

I’m very cross with my GP and hate to think how bad this could have gotten if I’d not taken the initiative myself to get this sorted. I’ve watched my father struggle with T2 for the last 30 years and don’t want to repeat the same pattern. I’m very committed to turning this around but deep down know it will be a change for life. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi there,

I’ve recently been diagnosed with T2 diabetes. Well I say recently, but I had a routine blood test back in summer 2020, the nurse told me if there was anything wrong I’d get a call but received no call so figured everything was fine. 9 months later I hadn’t been feeling well and my partner said I should call up about those results. GP called me back and said I was prediabetic with an hba1c of 47 I asked what I should do and he said look it up on google and hung up. I had gestational diabetes about 3 years ago so had a blood glucose meter and knew the drill so instantly went back to the pregnancy diet and started testing. I was concerned as the time lag between the test and result was 9 mo I was instantly very strict on the diet, cutting carbs right back, managed to get my post meal glucose levels under control but my fasting reading was 9+ every morning without fail no matter what. I was successfully on metformin 3x daily while pregnant so asked my GP if I could be placed on that again and he refused and said my hba1c said I’m prediabetic and would not prescribe. When I said my fasting levels were consistently high and my diet was really good he said blood glucose tests don’t count for type 2?!

Anyway, long story short I went to see a private diabetic consultant last week who confirmed I was T2 diabetic and my hba1c is only in prediabetic range because of my strict diet. He’s prescribed me metformin SR 2g a day, and I’m now using a freestyle libre 2 sensor to see what is causing me to spike. I seem to be very carb sensitive, even the tiniest bit sends me souring. He wrote a book with this site (Dr Cavan) and suggested this place was the best to get information so here I am!

I’m very cross with my GP and hate to think how bad this could have gotten if I’d not taken the initiative myself to get this sorted. I’ve watched my father struggle with T2 for the last 30 years and don’t want to repeat the same pattern. I’m very committed to turning this around but deep down know it will be a change for life. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Goodness! Your doctor is from the dark ages!!! Glad you have taken it more seriously than he has though and realise the implications of ignoring, or passing it off as nothing to bother about. Welcome to the forum and you will find it amazingly helpful and friendly xx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Reactions: jjraak

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It's great that you took the initiative. I have to say that since my diagnosis my trust in the medical profession when it comes to type 2 diabetes has taken bait of a dive. I do understand that they can't have expertise in everything but you would think that something better than 'google it' isn't hard.
It is a change for life. That is true. I certainly found it very challenging athirst but now not so much. It can be quite usual to feel overwhelmed at the beginning. However, the fact that you have found this site is a very good start. This place literally changed my life and without and relying on the medical profession my life would be no way as good as it is now.

Again regular testing is essential at the beginning. You will probably find that after a while you have a range of meals that you know your body can tolerate.

Welcome to the forum and read around and ask questions. Some of the best people I have ever 'met' are here. People are generally wanting to help and support others on this site.

Welcome!

Reactions: LaoDan and EllieM