New to T2 update!

Iona May

Hi Everyone and a big thank you for all the help, i've received from you guys so far.

I have been confirmed as T2. I have been put on 4 metformin a day but am only taking 2 due to adopting a high fat low carb diet. My docs have been pretty useless and the nurse seemed disinterested on her follow up phone call.

I have started on the X-pert course which couldn't have been better timed. I am 4 weeks in since my diagnosis and have already attended 2 sessions. I have read some negative stuff regarding the X-pert course but I honestly recommend that if anyone gets offered the chance to join it they take it. They advocate the high fat low carb diet as a way of controlling diabetes and it was them that recommended because I am changing my diet I only take half the dose of metformin. They are brilliant at answering questions and really go into why you are T2 and what you can do to sort it out. They get to to make one small weekly change and for me so far it has been easy changes to make and I am seeing a real difference when I test with the meter.

I am definitely feeling more positive about things going forwards and feel like im making good progress, i'm sure there will be more questions along the way!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi Everyone and a big thank you for all the help, i've received from you guys so far.

I have been confirmed as T2. I have been put on 4 metformin a day but am only taking 2 due to adopting a high fat low carb diet. My docs have been pretty useless and the nurse seemed disinterested on her follow up phone call.

I have started on the X-pert course which couldn't have been better timed. I am 4 weeks in since my diagnosis and have already attended 2 sessions. I have read some negative stuff regarding the X-pert course but I honestly recommend that if anyone gets offered the chance to join it they take it. They advocate the high fat low carb diet as a way of controlling diabetes and it was them that recommended because I am changing my diet I only take half the dose of metformin. They are brilliant at answering questions and really go into why you are T2 and what you can do to sort it out. They get to to make one small weekly change and for me so far it has been easy changes to make and I am seeing a real difference when I test with the meter.

I am definitely feeling more positive about things going forwards and feel like im making good progress, i'm sure there will be more questions along the way!
Hi Iona May, I have never heard of this course, but perhaps it is something started after my own diagnosis in 2016?

Iona May

Hi Iona May, I have never heard of this course, but perhaps it is something started after my own diagnosis in 2016?

Its ran buy the council (I think its country wide) and I just fell luck that there was a new one starting. There is about 15 of us on it. The handbook is version 13 so i'm guessing it must have been running for a while but from the sounds of it the earlier days were not the same advice as we are getting now. I'm really enjoying it.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Its ran buy the council (I think its country wide) and I just fell luck that there was a new one starting. There is about 15 of us on it. The handbook is version 13 so i'm guessing it must have been running for a while but from the sounds of it the earlier days were not the same advice as we are getting now. I'm really enjoying it.
Iona the only one I was offered was the desmond one, which would have been one whole day. I was full time carer for my late mother and couldn't go. Nothing else was ever offered to me. It sounds like a great course though giving sound advice :D

Reactions: Iona May

Iona May

Iona the only one I was offered was the desmond one, which would have been one whole day. I was full time carer for my late mother and couldn't go. Nothing else was ever offered to me. It sounds like a great course though giving sound advice :D

Awww thats such a shame. This one is for 6 weeks and is 2 1/2 hours from 1-3.30 which is a bit inconvenient for full time workers. I very conveniently started working part time 3 weeks ago!

As far as I know its not just open to newly diagnosed people.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m pretty sure different ccg’s (health areas) have different schemes. Some like yours are great. Others leave a lot to be desired. They are often run by private companies too so the standard is not equal.

Reactions: Iona May

Iona May

I’m pretty sure different ccg’s (health areas) have different schemes. Some like yours are great. Others leave a lot to be desired. They are often run by private companies too so the standard is not equal.

Thats such a shame. Ours is ran by an AMP Nurse and a Dietitian and they are so helpful and focused on educating us in the right way. They also recommend looking at this site for advice and people doing well on high fat low carb.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats such a shame. Ours is ran by an AMP Nurse and a Dietitian and they are so helpful and focused on educating us in the right way. They also recommend looking at this site for advice and people doing well on high fat low carb.
Which area?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky as I have never been offered any courses and it's only recently they are starting to offer sensible diet advice. Too many still follow the Eatwell Plate nonsense. Hopefully the changes will continue.