New to the forum, need Libre advice please!

Gazj2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I have been Type 1 since I was 3, so nearly 30 years since I was diagnosed and overall my Diabetes has been fine but the last few years has seen my HBA1c increase to 84mmol and I believe this is down to me not testing my blood enough. I often forget or be lazy and guess what I am (I know it is bad but I rarely have hypos).

My friend is giving me the Freestyle Libre reader tomorrow and I was excited as hell to give it a go but realised the sensors are £62.89 for just a fortnight! This would mean it is over £1200 a year to run and I am not exactly rich.

I have decided to buy the sensor but is there anyway I could be put on a trial with my hospital in Sunderland? My hospital is quite bad and hardly give me any advice or new technology to try and my last annual appointment was 13 months ago. Luckily, I have an appointment next month but how do I go about trying to secure a trial or a way to make this affordable. I honestly believe this device would solve 100% of my problems and improve my HBA1cs dramatically but the cost is the only negative I can see.

How are people affording this or are they doing it in bursts and hoping it comes on the NHS? I heard we may find out by end of 2017...

Any help would be brilliant. Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Gazj2k

The libre will help massively in terms of testing, looking for patterns and giving you more insight into the effect of food vs insulin, identifying lows etc etc.

Sadly the NHS doesn't fund it and no possibility in the near future of this changing so self funding is the only way to go, however as you are a type 1 you are exempt from VAT so the sensors will in fact cost £48.29 on the Abbott site - and £4.94 for postage, however if you sign up they do offers from time to time with free P&P. It's worth self funding though as your health is a priority :)

Rich1889

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently trying through my gp for a special trial on the Libre and made a case of health and cost benefits to my gp. He is fully in support but he has to get special funding approval from the medical board which is the stumbling block. Only so much time he will invest in pursuing it so have my fingers crossed. Otherwise, it's self funding until the NHS see sense but it's certainly worth it from the knowledge and information I've gained. Invaluable for sport as well!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As its obvious you don't have any dose adjustment training under your belt....the Libre would be nothing more than a very pricey convenience for you.....

I t wouldn't solve all your problems........you still need to make dose adjustment decisions from the information a meter gives you...

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Before you initialise your first sensor, if you haven't already, you may benefit from buying (and reading) the book "Sugar Surfing". This will give you an idea of how you can use the information you get from the libre and exploit to the maximum benefit. It will give you an insight into exactly how to use the huge amount of information you are about to get.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Along with @novorapidboi26 . I feel the libre will give you information. How you use that information will determine how your HbA1C changes. It could prove a costly exercise if you fail to understand and react to what you learn.
Good luck whatever you decide.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
And to respond to the OP's original question, I would cut out what ever I needed to in life to afford it (alcohol, cigarettes etc). I do not look at it as simply a replacement or alternative to blood tests, but a way of seeing my BG in graphs that is currently impossible any other way. A reading from a spot BG test is meaningless, but with CGM/flash GM you have context, and that is priceless for me.

D

Deleted Account

The manufacturers of Libre have been pushing it pretty hard. As a result, they have been running free trials. I did this and got one sensor (and another when it fell off) and a free reader/spare BG meter as well as a voucher for free P&P when I made my first order. For me this was arranged via my hospital but if, as in your case, the hospital is not great, I would recommend calling Freestyle and asking them for a trial. Don't tell them about the one you are getting from your friend.
This trial will give you a chance to find out whether you are going to get any value from the Libre before spending any money and whether you can actually cope with it being stuck in your arm: some people find it uncomfortable or find that it falls of or just don't like it on display in the hotter weather.

Although your hospital are not great, I would also encourage you to push them for a DAFNE course. Experiences of these vary depending on how much you know already and how receptive you are to making a change to your diabetes management. But it should provide a kick start to carb counting.

It probably all feels to much at the moment but once it becomes habit, it will just be like cleaning your teeth - assuming you clean your teeth twice a day. Good luck.

Reactions: Bon83

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd second the DAFNE course if you want to improve your control. It takes 5 days, and it's free, which is great value.

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm itching to get on the dafne course now. Things are pretty slow where I live but hopefully not long now. The data the libre collates is useful BUT it takes some knowledge to interpret it! And at the moment that is something you have to learn yourself. I have found it accurate during times of bg stability but when it is probably changing rapidly I have learnt to think - that was 15 mins ago what could it be now. If you feel that you have got lazy is there something you can do to get some motivation back? Perhaps strip everything back and look at the basics. I know I have the AM of the day down but with dinner and tea I am still a bit of a mess with carb counting etc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app