New to the site

tayls1977

Hi this is the first time i have added a post on the site my daughter Lara was diagnoised on the 1st May with Type 1 Diabetes she is 5 years old i have looked on the site many times for advice and information and find it very useful.
My husband is doing the Wolverhampton matathan on Sunday 7th September for diabetes uk he has put a lot of hard work in training for the marathan on Sunday to raise money for Diabetes uk so we want to wish him all the best and Good Luck.
Many thanks Claire ( Laras Mommy ) :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Clare ,welcome to the forum.We have several mums on here with type 1 children.I hope you will keep coming back for more information.

darren10000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots and Stuck Up Wan~!ers
Hi all

I'm new to the site as well. I've been a Type 2 for years quite happily taking my pills but for some reason it's all gone **** up and I've been on Insulin since last Thursday :shock:

Darren

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Hi Darren,welcome to the forum.Tell us something about your medications ,your diet etc and let's see if we can help you .

darren10000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sugarless sue said:
Hi Darren,welcome to the forum.Tell us something about your medications ,your diet etc and let's see if we can help you .

Sure

I was diagnosed Type II in 2001 and spent about a year controlling it by diet but in '02 I was put on Metformin, Pioglitazone '04, Gliclazide '05 after an emergency visit and stay to my local Hospital.

Everything was fine until recently when for some unknown reason my BM's went from 3-7 mmol up to the low 20's so they put me on 10 units a day of insulin, but that has hardly touched it so when I next see my Diabetic Nurse I would imagine they will increase it.

Darren

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Tell us about your diet,Darren.Do you eat a lot of complex carbs,such as bread,pasta,rice and potatoes?

darren10000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Breakfast usualy involves a couple of bits of toast, Lunchtime I try to avoid rolls and sarnies and have salads, meat &c. I normally have either Pasta or Rice with my dinner. The thing is I haven't changed my diet at all yet my Bloods have gone crazy recently

Darren

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I can comment on the fact that you are eating quite a lot of complex carbs with your meals and should perhaps think of cutting down on them but I will leave others,more knowledgeable, to comment on the change in your blood levels.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I would suggest,Darren,that you have a good browse around the site and you will read a lot of posts about cutting carb levels down to help bring down your BS.Have you been ill recently? This can also send your BS up significantly.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I suggest that your diabetes may have been caught at an early stage, when you were still producing quite a lot of insulin yourself. Treatment with pioglitazone and gliclazide over a prolonged period can wipe out the beta cell activity and you'll have no insulin production left. there's not much to be done then, but to take insulin. If you are very insulin resistant, you may need large doses and even some Metformin on top. they say that insulin resistance can be helped by exercise. 45 mins a day, 5 days a week of aerobic exercise. doesn't need to be the gym. Just take a dog a brisk walk. Borrow one if you don't have your own.
You seem to have received the standard treatment and advice on diet. Read the success story thread and you'll see that most of the people who have T2 under control, eat restricted carbs. I personally wouldn't dare have a couple of pieces of toast, because I'd be flying on a sugar high.
You cannot do yourself any damage by cutting down on the carbs( whatever THEY say) Try it for a few days, with the exercise too and see how the numbers go.
THEY believe that T2 is progressive and their advice and treatment fulfills the prophecy.

DISCLAIMER: i'm not a medic, but I am a well controlled T2 diabetic