New To This

Dee26eed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I was diagnosed on NYE 2017 of all days. It came as a shock and was in hospital with a DKA diag for a few days, very new to the whole system of things even with 7 months of a whole new lifestyle. I take 2 types of insulin 4 times a day and metformin 2g (for a different medical condition). Here to get any hints and tips from anyone, I have been very lucky and have a good supportive partner and family (no family history of diabetes at all) I do however feel alone sometimes and find I can't really talk my worries with anyone or any queries I have mostly go unanswered.
I do however have one query that has been niggling at me. Due to the hot weather and my job, I have had a few days where I've not taken any fast acting insulin just my daily long acting dose as my BG has been too long and was getting too many hypos. Has anyone else experienced this? And was that the right thing to do?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Dee26eed, Welcome to the forum ! and congratulations on your initiative to manage the hot weather, diabetes-wise.!
I certainly find that I need less insulin in hot weather. It may be due to insulin being better absorbed in hot weather, perhaps some changes in diet etc. And with what follows here please discuss with your DSN and doctor.
My way of managing is also to alter my insulin to prevent hypos. Using a Libre device to obtain continuous blood sugar readings might help to ensure any changes you make in your insulin regime are working well and to prevent too many fluctuations in your BSL. You may prefer to just continue finger prick readings of course.
There are forum Qs and As on this site to help you with the uses, pros and cons of such a device. And of other Continuous Glucose Monitoring devices.
Keeping well (edit remove the de-) hydrated and ensuring your insulin is kept cool are my other general thoughts for summer times.
Living in Australia where a maximum temperature in summer might reach 40 degrees C is a challenge for me !!
Best Wishes on your journey and please keep posting !!:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee26eed and Juicyj

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Dee26eed ,

Welcome to the forum. :)

The hot weather can increase insulin sensitivity. (Had a bit of that myself recently.)
Being relatively newly diagnosed, it is possible you could be in the "honeymoon period" where your pancreas still spasmodically kicks out a little of its own "home grown."?

Tagging in @helensaramay @Diakat & @Juicyj to say hello.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello there @Dee26eed
As @Jaylee says the weather conspires against us.
Anyway, most people here are pretty good at answering questions or helping work through a problem.
Welcome to the club.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Dee26eed

I've also been suffering with the hot weather, though now it's cooled down a bit my levels are going north now instead ! I call it work in progress whenever anyone asks how i'm getting on as it changes all the time, hormones, heat, exercise, sleep, stress, it's ongoing. Getting used to what affects your insulin doses will help you become more knowledgeable about your management. Ask your DSN about getting signed up to DAFNE - Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating, it's normally around a year after diagnosis that you'll end up going on this as your new to this you may still be going through a honeymoon period where your less stressed pancreas delivers some insulin still, so they like to take type 1's who've managed with this a while first, but it's a great course to build confidence and knowledge and simply know the basics to good control. Also get yourself a copy of 'Think like a pancreas' which is written by a type 1 and is a great resource to refer to, also ask away here no question too trivial or silly :)

Reactions: Dee26eed and Diakat