1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New to type 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by jimbo3537, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jimbo3537

jimbo3537 · Member

Diagnosed with type 2 in April 2011, up till then my weight had been constant at 14stone for at least 8years.
    I am a little worried now about my weight dropping down to 12stone 12lb since April.
    My medication is Metformin 500mg tablets twice a day, and one Simvastatin 40mg at night, i had a follow up blood test on Thursday and awaiting the result,i also told the nurse about this weight loss but she didnt read anything into it.
    My age is 71yrs, and is this weight loss anything to worry about.
    Would appreciate any advice.
    Thankyou

2. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hi Jimbo and welcome to the forum :) Metformin is well known for causing weight loss. I know your DN isn't concerned but if you are worried about your weight loss, especially if it continues, it might be worth a visit to your GP (I am not sure if you have seen him already or not) as it could be something else unrelated to diabetes. I hope the results of your follow up blood test help.

In the meantime here is some information which our friends Ken and Sue, former monitors have prepared for new members. I think you will find that this helps you to look after your diabetes as well as possible. Ask as many questions as you like as there is always someone here who will have an answer for you.

3. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi. jimbo3537, Welcome to us all here, I would suggest with the weight loss if you're feeling fine and well it could be the metformin as it has an appetite suppressant action in it, which might account for the loss of weight maybe that could be why the nurse didnt show a cause for concern? however if you dont feel well with weight loss and are worried please return to your GP/DSN and raise this concern. Its best to play safe when it comes to your health. Keep an eye on yourself and let us know how you get on. Hope this helps? Anna.x :D

4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Note some of us experience weight loss around the time of diagnosis, so it could be the Metformin or just that your Type 2, like mine, shows a weight loss as a symptom. Mine steadied a month or so after diagnosis and has been steady since. I would query with your GP if it keeps dropping.

5. Lynmi

Lynmi Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed in October last year and was also put on 2 Metformin morning and night, I've gone from 12st 4lb to 9st 9lb and 2 stone of that was with the first 3 months. Far from being worried my nurse is really pleased with the weight loss. I think its quite normal when your taking Metformin, i'm still loosing weight now but only about a lb every 2/3 weeks as long as your feeling ok i'm sure its fine.

6. RussG

RussG · Well-Known Member

Two points really. Firstly, as others have said metformin can promote weight loss. Secondly, have you altered your diet since diagnosis? That also could be a factor.

The other thing I would say is that it may not be diabetes related. If you are still losing weight and feel unwell, definitely go back and seek medical advice again.

7. jimbo3537

jimbo3537 · Member

Thankyou for all your welcome comments.
    I have seen my GP today, and sent me to my local hospital for a chest xray, and also some further blood tests to be taken next Monday.
    He seems to think it is dietry problem,but needs to be sure.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook