New to Type 2

Hether

Hello all,
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. The day I was told I began healthy eating to lose weight. This has been going well. I had no idea however whether I was doing the right thing as to to much sugar or too little. I decided to buy a test kit as I kept coming over strange. I think I am slowly working out for me. A low for me is when I feel like I’m going to pass out and start to sweat and become shaky, a high reading I feel like I’m going to vomit and can’t catch my breath and feel dreadful. Yesterday my blood went up to 15.1mols. I am on no meds just doing it by trying to eat healthy. Any advice welcome. It has been 11.1mols today and I only eat porridge??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. The day I was told I began healthy eating to lose weight. This has been going well. I had no idea however whether I was doing the right thing as to to much sugar or too little. I decided to buy a test kit as I kept coming over strange. I think I am slowly working out for me. A low for me is when I feel like I’m going to pass out and start to sweat and become shaky, a high reading I feel like I’m going to vomit and can’t catch my breath and feel dreadful. Yesterday my blood went up to 15.1mols. I am on no meds just doing it by trying to eat healthy. Any advice welcome. It has been 11.1mols today and I only eat porridge??

Dietary control of T2 diabetes is possible but you have to be aware that t's carbohydrates that are problematic. "Healthy" might not be what you think it is!

The levels you are seeing are very high. Do you happen to know the HbA1c level that led to your diagnosis? That might help with seeing where you are on the 2 "spectrum".

Many of us have found that porridge is a dreadful thing to eat with T2. By switching to tastier things like eggs and bacon levels are far better.

Have a read of this and see if it explains things a bit better.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Reactions: Hether

Hether

My HbA1c was 53.
I cannot believe the hidden sugars in food! It’s shocking really. I will definitely move to eggs and bacon. Thank you

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Your HbA1c isn't really too bad Hether. If you decide to go low carb there are loads of options and new recipes you'll find to explore and you'll discover that low carbing is anything but boring. Lots of interesting veg and way to prepare and serve them. plenty of fishy options too.

Hether

Your HbA1c isn't really too bad Hether. If you decide to go low carb there are loads of options and new recipes you'll find to explore and you'll discover that low carbing is anything but boring. Lots of interesting veg and way to prepare and serve them. plenty of fishy options too.
Thank you

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that it is actually surprising to find out the problem is just all carbs- not sugar. It was a huge mind set change for me. I also find it sad that a lot of the medical profession aren't on board and keep recommending 'healthy carbs' to type 2s