New type 1!

Kirstie:NewT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm kirstie, 22 years young :) Diagnosed with type 1 On 18th January so still taking it all in (head feels like it's going to explode) Insulin dependant inject 4 times a day novarapid x 3...Levemir bedtime

I fell ill New Years day ( I just thought I was hungover oops) sore throat, tired. As the days went on I got worse, mouth sores, loosing weight, so I went to the doctors and got sent home with 'its just a viral' took the doctors word for it. I carried on getting worse and after 2 weeks it was to the point where it was taking me an hour to get out of bed in a morning( not good when you habe a 3 year old to get to nursery) So off I went to a&e sat for 4 hours, urine test, blood test and got sent home with antibiotics. I deteriorated and the next day I was back in resus my body had gone into shut down, my blood sugars were 30+ and I was suffering a server DKA and was so close to a diabetic coma! so I spent a week on high dependency unit with tubes and lines coming out of every were and then a few days on a ward and now I'm home feeling so much better :)

I always thought diabeties were for older people and never in my life thought it is this life threatening especially when you don't know you have it.
i think to myself why did my doctors and a&e not notice what was happening to me :/

Sorry for the long post.....I can talk for England haha :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum. It can be very scary and anxious for some when first diagnosed. I became diabetic at 31, my granddaughter was 2 1/2 years old, type 1 often strikes when younger, but older people can be diagnosed as well.
So welcome on board and anything you would like to know, then please just ask :)

Take care, with best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 3 people

david6026

Hi same thing happened to myself 2 years ago i thought I was hung over New Year's Day then started back to work on the 3rd and couldn't really see my vision was blurry and head felt like it was going to explode .. So off I went to hospital they looked in my eyes and said I need glasses and to go c my optician so the same day went to c optician he said my symptoms sounded like I was a diabetic and the build up of sugar was causing my blurry vision and to go straight to my doctor and gave me a letter to take with me .. Off I went and the doctor wouldn't see me on that day witch was a Friday and told me to come back on Monday.. So on the sat things got 10 times worse and I ended up in a&e on a drip and ner in a diabetic coma after 5 hours they sent me home with the wrong tablets and told me the diabetic nurse would ring me on Monday and they didn't I had to ring them and finally got started on insulin on the tues... People later told me I should of been in hospital for a few days and not 5 hours and also should of got insulin and not metforman tablets as that is for type 2 and wouldn't work for me .. So Al in all was a wild few days that shouldn't of happened the way it did ....

Just thought I'd share my story

Ps Diabeties sucks ...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forum. It can be very scary and anxious for some when first diagnosed. I became diabetic at 31, my granddaughter was 2 1/2 years old, type 1 often strikes when younger, but older people can be diagnosed as well.
So welcome on board and anything you would like to know, then please just ask :)

Take care, with best wishes RRB :)

Thank you RRB :) :)
I've been looking through the forum and looks like there's so many nice people and it's opened my eyes a lot to how many people there is with diabeties and I now know I'm not alone. ♡

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You've had an awful time of things Kirstie but pleased your feeling well again, welcome to the forum btw :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi same thing happened to myself 2 years ago i thought I was hung over New Year's Day then started back to work on the 3rd and couldn't really see my vision was blurry and head felt like it was going to explode .. So off I went to hospital they looked in my eyes and said I need glasses and to go c my optician so the same day went to c optician he said my symptoms sounded like I was a diabetic and the build up of sugar was causing my blurry vision and to go straight to my doctor and gave me a letter to take with me .. Off I went and the doctor wouldn't see me on that day witch was a Friday and told me to come back on Monday.. So on the sat things got 10 times worse and I ended up in a&e on a drip and ner in a diabetic coma after 5 hours they sent me home with the wrong tablets and told me the diabetic nurse would ring me on Monday and they didn't I had to ring them and finally got started on insulin on the tues... People later told me I should of been in hospital for a few days and not 5 hours and also should of got insulin and not metforman tablets as that is for type 2 and wouldn't work for me .. So Al in all was a wild few days that shouldn't of happened the way it did ....

Just thought I'd share my story

Ps Diabeties sucks ...

Crazy eh!! how it just happens :/ I don't understand how doctors can send you home when its so dangerous! :mad: scary isn't it?!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Crazy eh!! how it just happens :/ I don't understand how doctors can send you home when its so dangerous! :mad: scary isn't it?!

That's what happened to my little granddaughter, then she ended up in Hospital ( same night) on the HDU fighting for her life, she pulled through and is a happy and a healthy 6 year old :)

Reactions: 5 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kirstie:NewT1

Hello Kirstie and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Welcome:) my diagnosis was quite similar,ask as many questions as u need and someone will be able to help

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Many of us have experienced the igorance of diabetes within the NHS. I am appalled that A&E didn't spot your high blood sugar the first time; really negligent. Yes, Metformin is the wrong drug for T1; again many GPs don't know this 'cos they don't know what it does. Also, T1 as you have discovered is not just for the young although most common near birth. The oldest recorded so far is age 90! You are now on a good Basal/Bolus regime of insulins (same as mine) and if you have or continue to have a low-carb diet you will avoid any weight gain.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
How are you coping a couple of months into type 1. Are you in honeymoon period at all?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Welcome Kirstie,

It was 1981 and I was 13 years old when I was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes.

I remember it so well. I started to lose weight and the thirst was incredible. I remember constantly having to raise my hand to ask my teachers at school if I could go to the toilet (about every 10/15 minutes) and I would be gulping water from the sink taps.

I was always falling a sleep in lesson and at home as soon as I got in. I remember my mum thinking I was run down so what would she d, she would make me drink glasses of lucozade and ribena!

Huge resentment against my father as he was Type one but it never occurred to him that I had it. Eventually went to Dr and after one urine test I was admitted to hospital immediately and I was in for 2 weeks to get stabilised. I was under 6 stone in weight when admitted.

33 years later and still around. Working and keeping up with all the non Diabetics out there.

Stay close it's good here and I wish you a long and happy diabetes-hood! Loads of people on here that will support you.

You'll be alright :)

KevFitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi type1bri I'm coping pretty well thankyou. Just taking a day at a time bloods seem to be stable at the moment so all seems good. I have my first dietian appointment tomorrow since leaving hospital so looking forward to that
Hope your keeping well

Reactions: 4 people

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou kevfitz it looks like a really good site and definitely a lot of supportive people, I'm learning new things as the days go by :)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Glad you are coping well and BS are stable. A lot of people don't rate the NHS dieticians on here but mine is great. She really listens and gives sound advice about carb intake and a nutritious diet.
Hope yours goes well tomorrow.
I have just had the DAFNE course so am really focused at the moment

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive only met mind twice when i was in hospital and she seems lovely and gave me a lot of advice and support. I've heard a few people have been on that course, is it any good? I was going to ask my DSN about it.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what happened to my little granddaughter, then she ended up in Hospital ( same night) on the HDU fighting for her life, she pulled through and is a happy and a healthy 6 year old :)

So scary.... My 2.5 year old daughter was so close it's not worth thinking about one more night left untreated and things could of been a lot more severe. So scary. How is your grandaughter now? How does she find school?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So scary.... My 2.5 year old daughter was so close it's not worth thinking about one more night left untreated and things could of been a lot more severe. So scary. How is your grandaughter now? How does she find school?

Sorry to hear of your little one, it's heartbreaking isn't it ? My GD was seen by a doctor in A & E that very evening and sent home with a viral infection, God is still makes me shudder.:arghh: She had an oxygen mask on, many tubes, lying there with just a nappy on and her chest moving so rapidly, it's still scary thinking about it.
But on a happier note, she recovered well, went to a nursery then settled well into Infant school and just gets on with diabetes ( she has told me her friends think she is brave, bless):angelic::) She is coming round after school tomorrow with her big sister and having dinner here too.:happy:
I wish you all the best and good luck for a positive future,
RRB x