Newbie and confused!

L

Luna21

Hi. :wave:

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes just over a week ago, and boy is it a lot to take in, especially as I have other medical conditions too.
It's been a bit of a bombshell, as it probably is for most folks, so just trying to come to terms what it all will mean for the future.

At the moment the diabetic nurse has just told me to eat healthily with carbs at every meal, but try and stick to @ 1200 calories a day, as I do need to lose a little weight. I also have High Blood pressure, high cholesterol, Hypothyroidism and I suffer from psoriatic arthritis, which is an inflammatory arthritis, and not very pleasant.

I have to juggle a lot of medication as it is, so I'm hoping I don't have to go on metformin too, but we shall see at my next appointment.

I have been told that I will get an eye scan, podiatry services and will be offered a Desmond course, but when I have no idea, so I feel like I'm just struggling along, not sure whether I'm doing right or wrong, as there seems to be a division between the NHS and others on how best to treat diabetes, ie carb counting. It's all so confusing.

Thanks for this forum, it's great to be able to read personal experiences of diabetics who are, if not beating this disease, as no one can, at least keeping the worst side-effects at bay.

unigirl

Hi Luna21

I was diagnosed couple of weeks ago and like you found it a terrible shock. I have just returned from the dietican who has advised to eat carbs with every meal. I am overweight but have dropped 21lbs since Jan 2013. The dietican was very matter of fact - quote "this is a progressive illness, no cure and you will be on meds at some point" I assume if my heart doesnt give out first. Like you Im totally confused I have read all the stories from "real people living with diabetes" in connection with low carb and found it informative and makes sense when I raised this I was told if I low carb my kidney's will "pack in". Great I thought my bad diet has caused diabetes and now a new approach to diet is going to cause my kidneys to not function.

I am at the end of my rope with all this information which is contridictory. So if there is anyone out there that can help please do as I am at my wits end

Luna21 I hope things will get better soon.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Luna21 said:
I have been told that I will get an eye scan, podiatry services and will be offered a Desmond course, but when I have no idea, so I feel like I'm just struggling along, not sure whether I'm doing right or wrong, as there seems to be a division between the NHS and others on how best to treat diabetes, ie carb counting. It's all so confusing.

I didn't even get the offer of podiatry. The Desmond course was fun but disappointing if you were expecting sound definitive advice. The confusion about carbohydrates is caused by the fact that carbs mostly increase blood sugar levels but also improve insulin sensitivity. Insulin secretion depends on the type and physical form of the carbohydrates consumed. They don't go into this as it is a complex subject. Foods are said to have a low glycemic index when digestion, absorption and/or conversion to glucose occur more slowly. That's good for dampening down the spikes in blood sugar levels but, the rate of insulin secretion tends to be lower when low GI foods are consumed, so it can take longer to get rid of it as well. Moreover, not all simple carbohydrates result in the same level of insulin response, eg fructose does not elicit as high an insulin response as glucose. The mix of carbs as well as the type of carbs is a factor. As you have already hinted at, other non carb foods often need to be considered especially if you have problems with lipids or blood pressure.

Your DN suggested a diet of 1200 cals per day which should induce weight loss. 1200 cals per day would be in itself a reduction in carbs so although she said eat carbs, the 1200 is already a limit. You can improve your blood sugar by eating things like brown rice, wholegrain pasta, wholegrain bread, small new potatoes and avoiding white bread, normal pasta, white rice, mashed potatoes. Losing weight on its own will improve insulin sensitivity in the longer term, even if low GI foods don't help directly with immediate insulin secretion. Exercise on the other hand will help with insulin sensitivity almost immediately, but it is short lived and is significantly more effective at 12 hours after exercise than 48 hours after exercise. Another major benefit is that the effect is cumulative so, three bouts of exercise per day, maybe for 7 or 8 mins each time, will have both an immediate effect and a cumulative longer term effect.

Daisy will be along soon with food ideas but there are loads of posts about them too. If you can watch what you eat, lose weight and take exercise, you will make significant improvements. Many people get blood glucose meters to help them see the effect that certain foods have on their levels. They are not that precise and it is easy to get false readings through misuse but, everyone learns how to do it properly within a few weeks and you start to know what results to expect.

This site has just uploaded the 2013 cookbook which is available free of charge. It will give you an idea of diet. Things are far from gloomy if you accept that you will have to make some changes.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
unigirl said:
I am at the end of my rope with all this information which is contridictory. So if there is anyone out there that can help please do as I am at my wits end

There are people in their 70s who are more active with diabetes than I was in my 50s without diabetes. I am fitter, more active and leaner now, and I still have a long way to go. It's just a shame that I had to get diabetes before I did anything about my condition. I know my DN and my GP are doing their best but that is about the only positive thing I can say about them. Yours seems to lack even the most basic bedside manner. I bet she was never top of the class in Charm School. I went on the Desmond course and they were all, like you, at their wits end having been subjected to half truths, conflicting advice and an almost total lack of empathy. This website is not here because the others are doing their job well. But this web site will serve you well, mainly about diet but also tips on losing weight and taking exercise. You can often get things under better control within a few weeks and there is no mad rush.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Luna and welcome to the forum :)

As Yorksman mentioned, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Carry on asking questions and there will be someone who can help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

L

Luna21

Thanks for all the advice and information.

I do feel I will need a blood glucose monitor as my glucose levels are very high at the moment, and I would like to be able to monitor myself to hopefully reach the suggested targets. I think that's the way ahead as I could be eating 'well' but my glucose levels could still be on the high side if I choose the wrong foods.

I live in Scotland, so I shall ask my diabetic nurse at my next meeting for access to a glucose monitor and the paraphernalia that is needed for its use. Wish me luck on that!

As for exercise, that's a difficult one as I can't walk too far at the moment due to the arthritis and other problems, but I'm going to try some Pilates to tone up my core muscles. Every little helps....or that's what I'm hoping! 8)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Luna21 said:
As for exercise, that's a difficult one as I can't walk too far at the moment due to the arthritis and other problems,

I have arthritis in my ankle so I use a rower which has little impact on the troubled area. Bicyles are low impact too. All depends on how near you are to a gym of course. Lots of 2nd hand stuff around though if you have the room at home. My daughter got an exercise bike for £10.

L

Luna21

I'm under the physio at the moment and cycling is a no-no, ( I asked) so I have a lovely nearly new bike sitting in my bedroom being used as a clothes horse!
I will find something, even if it's only short 10 minute walks several times a day. I can be quite driven when I want to be! :thumbup:

sazdragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bullies!!
Hi hun and have fun on the forum :D
I have had type 2 for about a year now, I was put on a weight loss program which I later lost 7lb in like 4 weeks :D just think about meal sizes and sugar content of items and I'm sure you will be fine hunni xx

L

Luna21

Thanks sazdragon, I'm going to try my best and be as healthy as I can be. :thumbup: