Newbie from US NEED HELP :)

jeffmag27

Hello everyone,

Recently diagnosed type two diabetic. Starting to take daily glucose measurements. The problem I am having is when I do my fingerstick it seems the blood smears and I don’t get the nice round bubble.

I am thinking I don’t hold the lancet firm enough against my skin.

Any help would be appreciated cheers from the US

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's strange, I have never had that problem. Is it possible there could be something on your skin that is affecting the surface tension? Maybe a residual film of soap or alcohol from cleaning? I hold the lancing device firmly in contact with my finger but I don't really press hard. Have you experimented with different depths on the lancing device?

Reactions: jeffmag27

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem I am having is when I do my fingerstick it seems the blood smears and I don’t get the nice round bubble.
Hi @jeffmag27 , and welcome to the forum.
To me this happens when my hands aren't completely dry. Have you tried without washing your hands to see if it happens as well with dry hands?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone,

Recently diagnosed type two diabetic. Starting to take daily glucose measurements. The problem I am having is when I do my fingerstick it seems the blood smears and I don’t get the nice round bubble.

I don't finger prick anymore (wear flash glucose monitor on my arm and scan it with phone - highly recommended alternative if you can pay for one from Freestyle Libre (Abbott).
When I did the smearing happened when my fingers just bled too much so consider the lancet setting to see if its just going too deep.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
I would find that if my hands are cold not enough blood and I'd need to use a deeper setting.
If my hands are hot, look out!
If fingers are moist from sweat the blood would get a bit smeary and not form a bubble.

Alternative site testing? I have no experience of this but I am aware that it may not be as accurate as using fingers.
And not all blood glucose meters are suitable.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-gl...testing can give,use thigh, calfs and abdomen.

Good luck, I hope you get to grips with this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Could you give a little information regarding what lancet type you use & a brief talk through on your technique?

Are you allowing the test strip to draw up the blood as opposed to wiping the end in the droplet, which could smear?

jeffmag27

Thank you all for all the suggestions. One touch verio lancent. setting of 5 for depth out of 7. I am using light pressure just on the side of the pad.
Perfect example. Took shower, waited 10 mins before I tried taking a sample 4 fingers the blood came out as a smear and not a nice bubble.
getting frustrated because right now I only have to take it when I wake up in the morning. No need to go freestyle yet. Hate this.