Type 1 Newbie having a basic comparison what is best question

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_2995.jpg

I’m new to insulin etc. Usually weetabix or porridge I’m starving about 1.5-2 hrs after.
I was looking up high protein cereals and compared it to my wheat biscuits. The left is the high protein granola and right 2 Tesco wheat biscuits doesn’t include the 180ml skimmed milk I have with it.

I know the granola is higher fats calories sugars etc but it’s a lot higher proteins so my way of thinking is it would keep me fuller for longer. Granola served with FF Greek yoghurt which also contains high proteins and fruit?

Am I being thick

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Spage
I can't comment on which would be better as I cannot eat either. Too carby for me. Breakfast for me consists of two eggs, smoked salmon and tea with unsweetened almond milk. Good Luck!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Surely you just have to try it and see what works for you?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @spage I find protein for breakfast is much more filling and am less likely to get the hunger pangs 2 hours later, so omelette or bacon and eggs, also I find I can't manage the blood glucose spikes from cereal as it can take me up until lunchtime to get my blood glucose levels under control, as Diakat has mentioned you need to try this out to see what works for you as we are all different :)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also find something lower carb with more protein and fat works better in a morning and doesn't have me hungry before lunch. Porridge is the only cereal style breakfast I still have but usually that would be a later morning like at weekends.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Even as a T1 you need to have some control of your carb intakes to avoid excessive BS swings and weight gain. Fat is not a problem so you can forget calories and just focus on keeping the carbs down to a sensible level. In general breakfast cereals are not an ideal food due to the high carb content so keep them down a bit.