1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Newbie having a basic comparison what is best question

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by spage, Oct 13, 2019.

1. spage

spage LADA · Well-Known Member

IMG_2995.jpg

I’m new to insulin etc. Usually weetabix or porridge I’m starving about 1.5-2 hrs after.
    I was looking up high protein cereals and compared it to my wheat biscuits. The left is the high protein granola and right 2 Tesco wheat biscuits doesn’t include the 180ml skimmed milk I have with it.

I know the granola is higher fats calories sugars etc but it’s a lot higher proteins so my way of thinking is it would keep me fuller for longer. Granola served with FF Greek yoghurt which also contains high proteins and fruit?

Am I being thick

2. sportyboston

sportyboston Type 1 · Member

Hi Spage
    I can't comment on which would be better as I cannot eat either. Too carby for me. Breakfast for me consists of two eggs, smoked salmon and tea with unsweetened almond milk. Good Luck!

3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Surely you just have to try it and see what works for you?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @spage I find protein for breakfast is much more filling and am less likely to get the hunger pangs 2 hours later, so omelette or bacon and eggs, also I find I can't manage the blood glucose spikes from cereal as it can take me up until lunchtime to get my blood glucose levels under control, as Diakat has mentioned you need to try this out to see what works for you as we are all different :)

5. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I also find something lower carb with more protein and fat works better in a morning and doesn't have me hungry before lunch. Porridge is the only cereal style breakfast I still have but usually that would be a later morning like at weekends.

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Even as a T1 you need to have some control of your carb intakes to avoid excessive BS swings and weight gain. Fat is not a problem so you can forget calories and just focus on keeping the carbs down to a sensible level. In general breakfast cereals are not an ideal food due to the high carb content so keep them down a bit.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook