Newbie Hba1c of 110 and scared

Juzzyjk

Hi.

So 15 months ago i was diagnosed type 2 with a reading of 55. It came down over a couple of months so i was left no drugs and told to change lifestyle i would be ok.

After a stressfull 12 months and myself being blazay about it if im honest with myself while have a pre op assesment and my annual check up due next month its come out at 110

Im mortified, its the kick up the ass i needed but im scared is this number too high (i.e im about to die or im beyond hope) and a nurse in pre op said its worrying its shot up so much.

Its so hard to find any info.

Can anyone help is it too late, have i gone to far, do i have some other serious problem.

I know this might sound dramatic but im genuinely scared and my appointment isnt for 2 weeks.

Any help good or bad appreciated

Thanks

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm no expert but I wouldn't expect that to cause imminent harm. I suspect they'll start you on some medication though, and looking into the low carb diet is worth doing. Just take it as a lesson learned and get back on track now. Others on here seem to have similar readings and are still alive and posting. Big hug.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
im about to die or im beyond hope
Not at all!
We have many members who have gotten their numbers back to normal after a hba1c like that!
a nurse in pre op said its worrying its shot up so much.
They might want to have a look into what happened over the past year.
It is a very quick rise, so they might want to do some blood tests to see if you're producing enough insulin of your own.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

So 15 months ago i was diagnosed type 2 with a reading of 55. It came down over a couple of months so i was left no drugs and told to change lifestyle i would be ok.

After a stressfull 12 months and myself being blazay about it if im honest with myself while have a pre op assesment and my annual check up due next month its come out at 110

Im mortified, its the kick up the ass i needed but im scared is this number too high (i.e im about to die or im beyond hope) and a nurse in pre op said its worrying its shot up so much.

Its so hard to find any info.

Can anyone help is it too late, have i gone to far, do i have some other serious problem.

I know this might sound dramatic but im genuinely scared and my appointment isnt for 2 weeks.

Any help good or bad appreciated

Thanks

Hi there

I can understand the shock, but I’m living proof it’s not insurmountable. My HbA1c on diagnosis about 5 years ago was 108, so just a fraction lower than yours. By drastically reducing carbs (no meds), I got that down to 57 in 4 months and to non-diabetic levels within 8 months. It’s stayed at non-diabetic levels ever since and there have been some other great benefits too - weight loss, vanishing migraines to name a couple.

There are plenty of other similar examples here too.

My advice would be to double down on what you eat while you wait for your appointment and keep posting here for support.

Reactions: Lillytan

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll take your 110 and raise it to my 129.5 on diagnosis! My only symptoms were weight loss and additional thirst/peeing, I wasn't hospitalised or anything dramatic even at that level.

I was told I was T1 then T2 within the space of a week, went onto insulin, them Metformin, then off insulin and have had normal range blood glucose since Christmas - only took 2 weeks to get it looking normal with a bit more light exercise and cutting out the sweets, cakes and potatoes pretty much. I've since been reverted to T1 following GAD and other auto immune antibody results the day before yesterday, but still producing enough insulin not to be T1. My head will explode before my pancreas does!

So I just wanted to say that you'll get this sorted, although fair warning if you have bloods sent to Exeter for the antibody testing it's a long 5 week or so wait.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice would be to double down on what you eat while you wait for your appointment and keep posting here for support.
Might be a language issue, but what do you mean with doubling down on what you eat?

Juzzyjk

Thankyou all for your comments. So far, hearing other numbers certainly helping.

I think my issue is covid has made me a sit at a desk go home sit on a sofa go to bed person.

Im not blaming covid ... ive been greedy and lazy clearly, have to work had and resolve but so much conflicting info on the internet is blowing my mind and making me feel ill never understand it. I guess that comes from time.

Thankyou again

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Im not blaming covid ... ive been greedy and lazy clearly, have to work had and resolve but so much conflicting info on the internet is blowing my mind and making me feel ill never understand it. I guess that comes from time.

Please don't blame yourself just because you have a metabolic illness that means you don't process carbs as well as you need to if you want to eat the modern recommended diet. And yes, the conflicting advice is very confusing. Lots of virtual hugs.

Reactions: Juzzyjk

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome,

I second @EllieM 's comment- don't beat yourself up. My levels weren't as high as yours were but I'm older and have brought my levels down with just diet. It is possible and while I will admit I found it very challenging at first (real carb lover here) a couple of years later and I am fine- better than fine so it is absolutely doable. I found the key was diet more than exercise (though exercise is good too).

I too was stressed and felt like I was going to die (and more dramatic than you I suspect.It took me more than 2 weeks after the diagnosis before I wasn't crying everyday.) Now thanks to this forum I am doing great. I know what foods I can eat-I eat them and it's all good- my levels are normal.

So fear not. Have you got a meter? If not that's the first thing to get organised. The meter is the tool that will help you work out what foods your body can handle and what your body can't.

Read around the forum and post. Good luck and welcome!

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

I can understand the shock, but I’m living proof it’s not insurmountable. My HbA1c on diagnosis about 5 years ago was 108, so just a fraction lower than yours. By drastically reducing carbs (no meds), I got that down to 57 in 4 months and to non-diabetic levels within 8 months. It’s stayed at non-diabetic levels ever since and there have been some other great benefits too - weight loss, vanishing migraines to name a couple.

There are plenty of other similar examples here too.

Exactly the same story here. I think lots of us have the same story. Keep low carbing. You will succeed

Reactions: Juzzyjk

Johosephat

A year ago this month I was diagnosed with T2 with a HbA1c of 112. I weighed 20 stone, and had been very sedentary throughout lockdown. Through advice gained from this forum, research, low carb and exercise my last HbA1c was 33. My doctor had said I can stop taking medication, my high-level cholesterol has gone from 8.8 to 4, high blood pressure is now at a reasonable level, I've lost six stone and am much healthier/fitter. So much so I'm training for a 15k Tough Mudder in May! This time last year, if someone had told me I'd be doing that, it would have seemed unimaginable.

The T2 diagnosis was definitely a blow but it was also the push I needed, and weirdly my life is better because of it.

Take the positives where you can. It's not all doom-and-gloom, it can be managed and it's never too late to start.

This forum is an invaluable source of support, information and guidance.